: Climate Control Resets By Itself

Dave623
02-17-13, 12:19 PM
Hello all. Ever since I got my base ATS (no CUE) in early December, climate control has been resetting itself twice each month. Having watched the car closely, there is always a specific set of conditions which occur immediately prior to the reset .....

1. car is parked, engine is off, doors are locked and anti-theft is on.
2. between 6PM and 9PM, the lights on the center touch panel come on, by themselves, for exactly 10 seconds and then go out.
3. next time the car is started, the following has occurred ,,,,,

a. temp for driver and passenger reverts to 72 regardless of my settings.
b. sync is turned off -- I always have it on.
c. rear auto defogger is disabled -- I always have it enabled.
d. climate control remains in auto mode and driver preferences remains engaged.

My dealer is at a total loss to explain this. A diagnostic shows no computer codes and the car has never received any computer updates as I was told there are none. According to the dealer, the car is functioning perfectly, just as it should.

The only other issue I've had, which may or may not be related, was that during the first 10 days of ownership, the dash gauges would do a double sweep each time the engine was started. As of the 11th day, the gauges do a single sweep which I'm told is normal. The dealer can't explain this either, but does confirm several other new ATS owners reported the same behavior.

If anyone has any ideas regarding the climate control issue, I'm all ears. At this point, the dealer can't help.

p1nball
02-17-13, 08:28 PM
On day one picking up car hvac froze on full heat and fan could not stop! I'm on a new center console! Still have Temp and syn issues. Driver side get way hot and pass gets cold that is in sync mode. I found that if I keep the recirculation on it seems to work most of the time!! If I don't driver side get Very hot and pass side gets cold! I also started to get the double sweep of gauges on start of car 2.0 Turbo. Car now has a bad stumble when cold and almost stalls. Not happy I gave up my CTS!

Dave623
02-17-13, 08:59 PM
@p1nball -- I'm not a tech and the ATS is the most advanced car I've ever had. My guess is the climate control issues are computer-related but my dealer has nothing to go on if no codes show up. My neighbor is a recently retired GM service writer/tech who's worked for Cadillac, Buick and Pontiac. Her guess is a screwy body control module -- if the ATS has one. But again, the dealer can't do anything without something to go on and in my case, they're not going to keep the car for a month and watch it every night waiting for center touch panel lights to come on and go off by themselves signaling the climate control reset. I also suspect, perhaps incorrectly, that the double sweep of gauges may be related. At lease that issue went away for me and I do not have the tapping noise many others have complained about when the heat is on.

Cadillac Cust Svc
02-18-13, 02:28 PM
Dave, I'm sorry to hear about your climate control aggravations and will be sure to document your feedback where the proper GM teams can view it. For further assistance, please email me anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com. I would be happy to look into your concerns further for you at any point!

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

Dave623
02-18-13, 03:09 PM
@Katie -- thanks for replying. I will send you a detailed email this evening when I get home from work. I hope you and the GM
folks can at least give my dealer some ideas of how to troubleshoot.

Cadillac Cust Svc
02-19-13, 10:22 AM
@Katie -- thanks for replying. I will send you a detailed email this evening when I get home from work. I hope you and the GM
folks can at least give my dealer some ideas of how to troubleshoot.

I appreciate the email, Dave! I'm going through my accumulated messages today and will be replying shortly.

Katie

EJCA
03-05-13, 08:53 AM
I am having the same issues. Please let me know when there is a fix for the problem. Thanks

Dave623
03-05-13, 10:12 AM
@EJCA and Katie -- I just brought the car to the dealer with a written, detailed explanation of this issue and all the other electrical gremlins that have since popped up. The climate control reset is now happening every 2-3 days. My service consultant told me the car has five computers but there are no computer updates for my ATS. They will check for hard codes and history codes but don't think they'll find any. They are going to check the body control module and connections and will contact technical assistance if they don't come up with anything.

The dealer expects to have my car for several days (they gave me a loaner). I will update this thread when I get my ATS back and I will email Katie again if I need her help.

Yplus
03-06-13, 06:09 AM
I have the same issue, but I wanted to see if the cue update fixes it before I formally complain. I should have my car in next Monday for the updates...

Dave623
03-07-13, 10:16 PM
Update -- just got my car back after my dealer had it for three days. The radio is a processor for all of the computers and it had an internal failure. The dealer contacted technical assistance twice and was confident a replacement radio would correct the climate control reset and other electrical gremlins. An hour and a half after getting the car home, shutting off the engine and locking the doors, the touch panel lights came on, again, by themselves, for 10 seconds and I've got witnesses who saw it happen. I'm off on a business trip for a few days and I will see if the other gremlins are back or are gone. In any event, I cannot believe the touch panel lights coming on by themselves, always between 6PM and 9PM, is normal. The car will be going back to the dealer the middle of next week. Depending upon what happens, I will be contacting Katie at Cadillac Customer Service. I love the car but I'm getting rather annoyed.

Cadillac Cust Svc
03-08-13, 11:11 AM
...Depending upon what happens, I will be contacting Katie at Cadillac Customer Service. I love the car but I'm getting rather annoyed...

I look forward to your updates, Dave. Please do get in touch with me if you have lingering concerns after (or during!) your dealer appointment next week. I'm happy to help where I can!

Best,

Katie

Dave623
03-08-13, 11:34 AM
@Katie -- thanks for replying. I'll let you know what happens -- should be around the end of next week.

EJCA
03-12-13, 03:44 PM
Has the dealer resolved this issue?

Dave623
03-12-13, 04:41 PM
Just got back from a 5 day business trip. As of this writing, it appears that the internal failure of the radio was the cause of all of the electrical gremlins. None have resurfaced and climate control has not reset to factory defaults--at least not yet. If any gremlins do reappear, the car's going back to the dealer. However, the center touch panel lights from the knobs on down (not the touch screen itself) are still coming on, by themselves, for 10 seconds every couple of nights between 6PM and 9PM. I've contacted my dealer's customer relations manager and he's going to try to find out if this condition is normal. My neighbor--the retired GM service consultant/tech, believes a computer is coming on to do a self-diagnosis but we don't know if this is an issue or by design. I'm sending an email to Katie to see if she can follow up with my dealer.

----------

@Katie -- please check your emails. I just sent you an update. Bottom line -- is the remaining issue a normal condition or do we still have a problem?

Thanks for your assistance.

Cadillac Cust Svc
03-12-13, 05:28 PM
@Katie -- please check your emails. I just sent you an update...

Thank you for taking the time to elaborate, Dave! I just responded to your email, and I'm so sorry to see you're still experiencing concerns.

Best,

Katie

Dave623
03-12-13, 05:56 PM
@Katie -- I received your email. Thanks for the info. The gremlins seem to be gone except for that one issue, which could be normal. We'll try to find out and update if needed.

Cadillac Cust Svc
03-13-13, 10:30 AM
Glad to be of assistance, Dave! Please do update me if you have any additional concerns down the line; I'm happy to help where I can.

Best,

Katie