: Need help with my '97 Catera

steve1701
02-17-13, 12:14 PM
I have a '97 Catera. I brought the car used and I had it about a month. I haven't had any major issues with the car. One cold morning I went to start the car and my check engine light came on. I went immediately and had the car scanned and the codes came back P0300. The tech said it was was a misfire in cylinder #6 and I should have the car tuned up and the light should go off. I decided to start by changing the spark plugs myself. When I pulled one of the wires out it had a long rubber piece on the end of it and it had oil all over it. As a matter of fact there is a space between the actual cylinder and a black strip of metal that run the length of the head. It was full oil. I wasn't sure about this because I didn't know if any oil was supposed to be here. Can someone tell what's going on?

kaustein
02-17-13, 12:45 PM
I'd guess a leak, valve cover.

steve1701
02-17-13, 01:55 PM
But I'm not losing any oil and my oil pressure is good.

gvjv3
02-17-13, 02:03 PM
It,s a common problem with cartera's you need to replace the valve cover gaskets, my 97 did the same, the kit come,s with O rings that go around each spark plug hole,

Grandmaster B
02-17-13, 03:07 PM
This may help.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-catera-cimarron-forum/271797-valve-cover-change-log.html

I'll be doing this myself pretty soon. Not real sure yet if I will change the valve covers or not.

G'ed up
02-19-13, 02:39 AM
Hi mate,
This happens because the breathers get blocked up so the oil starts to leak into the spark plug wells you will find it starts to fill the back ones first and then the others so you need to get at it as soon as. Have a look on the omega owners forum under the maintenance section you find they have all you need to know inc pictures of the job of cleaning the breathers and changing cam (Valve) cover gaskets as we call them over here in the u.k.

gvjv3
02-20-13, 02:24 AM
Omega site can not be access in the United States

Grandmaster B
02-20-13, 02:17 PM
Omega site can not be access in the United States
I can access it and I'm in the US.
http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php