: Does ATS have an oil temp sensor?

Pete7874
02-16-13, 08:12 PM
Some time ago I asked GM if ATS was able to display engine oil temperature (not coolant temp), and they answered that it wasn't.

Do any of you know if the car at least has an oil temp sensor? If so, maybe with some future CUE update it will be able to display this temp...

Anyway, no big deal. I was just curious. I'm a big oil nut.

thebigjimsho
02-17-13, 04:56 PM
Try a smartphone app like Torque and an OBD-II reader to get all the good readouts...

Pete7874
02-17-13, 05:02 PM
Try a smartphone app like Torque and an OBD-II reader to get all the good readouts...
Well, I haven't bought an ATS yet, so I can't try it. First thing is to establish if the car has an oil temp sensor. If not, Torque isn't going to help. :)

thebigjimsho
02-17-13, 05:17 PM
I'm pretty sure every car has an oil temp sensor...

Pete7874
02-18-13, 05:38 PM
Thanks. Apparently there is a sensor there. That's what's used to display the "OIL TOO HOT" message on the dashboard if your engine overheats. :)

So yeah, there is hope that data from this sensor could be read through OBD-II. Have you attempted this with your CTS? Or does CTS display oil temp on its own?

thebigjimsho
02-18-13, 06:26 PM
It's annoying because the V1 had almost every critical reading available by toggling through the DIC. We lost a lot of those options on the V2.

----------

As for oil temps in all cars, I guess not. My Town Car is not showing up on my OBD-II reader. But if you get an oil too hot warning, you've got one...

Pete7874
02-18-13, 06:32 PM
Yeah, I've got a similar issue when trying to talk to my 530i via OBD2 BT adapter and Torque. It won't read oil temp data, even though I know the sensor is there because there are some other apps out there (AutoEnginuity for example) that are able to read this data. I guess it's a matter of knowing the right proprietary PID.

So, are you saying you are not able to read oil temp data via OBD2 from your CTS? If you aren't, then I'll probably have a similar problem with ATS.

thebigjimsho
02-18-13, 08:22 PM
Not on the DIC. The V1 used to have everything available at the press of a steering wheel button. On the V2, much less info. Very annoying...

Pete7874
02-18-13, 09:18 PM
Not on the DIC. The V1 used to have everything available at the press of a steering wheel button. On the V2, much less info. Very annoying...
I'm asking if you can get it via OBD2.

thebigjimsho
02-18-13, 09:32 PM
I'll check that when I can.

Hoosier Daddy
02-19-13, 05:40 PM
Thanks. Apparently there is a sensor there. That's what's used to display the "OIL TOO HOT" message on the dashboard if your engine overheats. :)
To cut costs, many cars have a sensor that doesn't accurately measure and report oil temperature but is more like a thermostat that trips when a certain temp is reached and puts a warning on the dash.

And some cars that do have oil temperature gauges actually show what the oil temperature should theoretically be based on other input. Sort of like the Cadillac oil life monitor doesn't actually monitor oil life but what the oil life should theoretically be based on other data. I trust the oil-life monitors in new cars but I never trusted the "fake" oil temperature gauges Ford put in some SVT vehicles.