: 2008 DTS Throttle Position Sensor Code

danboylerealtor
02-16-13, 02:03 PM
My 2008 DTS check engine light came on (98k miles), and the code reader produced a throttle position sensor code. From my experience, I have never had a bad sensor, just a sensor doing it's job to advise of an issue. Any suggestions what may need cleaning, maintenance or replacement? I had this issue with an 81 Seville, and it was a carbon blocked hose running off the back of the throttle body, running to the firewall MAP sensor.

MoistCabbage
02-16-13, 03:36 PM
My 2008 DTS check engine light came on (98k miles), and the code reader produced a throttle position sensor code.What's the code and definition.

From my experience, I have never had a bad sensor, just a sensor doing it's job to advise of an issue.Different sensors do different things, but their "job" is to provide information to the vehicles computers, not advise of an issue. If a computer senses that a sensor (or other monitored component) isn't working as intended, a code is set.

Any suggestions what may need cleaning, maintenance or replacement?Going by your description only, with no code, you have a failed or failing TPS. Less likely, but possible, is a connector or wiring problem.

danboylerealtor
04-05-13, 08:23 PM
The code number is PO121 Throttle Position Sensor.

danboylerealtor
10-12-13, 03:23 PM
I took the cover off the TPS and cleaned the inside of it. Then cleaned the throttle plate and interior of the port. The light has not been on since, however I now have a pulsating throttle, constantly going up and down about 50 rpm. Any suggestions?

billbill1
10-17-13, 10:32 AM
The Idle air control valve, can collect a lot of crud. It's not hard to clean, with carb cleaner, but take
care NOT to get cleaner into electrical works. It's obvious what the valve does, when you look inside
the throttle body. It STEPS in and out to give the correct IDLE AIR, with out moving the throttle.