: Looking to buy a CTSV 04-07, have questions...

Kadillaxin
02-16-13, 12:53 PM
Looking to buy a CTSV.

04-07

I've done some research, but nothing beats talking to owners.

What should I look out for, problem areas?

I'm not a mileage snob either, I'll still look at well kept 100k plus cars. Does this hold true for the CTSV? Do they have lots of problems after racking up the miles?

Anything else you guys can think of. I am a car guy and I know the basics when looking at a new ride. Just want more input from owners, good and bad is welcome.

TIA!!!

DarkCharisma
02-16-13, 01:32 PM
Motor mounts, rear diff bushing, dual-mass flywheel, crappy OE radiator leaking, diffs exploding. Those are the big things that can (and likely will) go bad, and you'll want to spend some $$ on fixing or preventing those points. I bought my V with 100k flat on it, and have done motor mounts, trans mount, rear diff bushing and brace, and replaced the radiator with an Alradco unit. I have a new LS7 clutch/flywheel sitting on my floor now. All in all I spent a little under 1.5k for all this stuff (66% of it being the clutch and rad), which really isn't a ton of money at all given the performance/reliability you're gaining out of this.

The rest of the car is pretty solid. The LS6 is proven, as is the T-56 (albeit being mushy to shift), both are pretty cheap to maintain, repair or upgrade... tons of power potential and a decent bit of aftermarket.

carlson_mn
02-16-13, 02:45 PM
^ he said it. Now just read up on here and let us know what you find. It's a used car value.

Kadillaxin
02-16-13, 02:55 PM
Thanks, I will let you know what I find. I am in no hurry, looking for the right deal. I have a couple kids and I need the four doors. I got very excited when I came across the CTSV. I am so tired of automatics. I used to be into the early model SHO's, fun to drive, but I don't want to go there again.

rand49er
02-16-13, 03:13 PM
Several of us came from SHOs, me being one. (I had three.)

Personally, I haven't had the problems mentioned above though I've had my diff replaced on warranty, and I've changed out some bushings and the flywheel mainly because the mod bug bit. I think you'll find fewer problems with a great number of the Gen I Vs, but if there are some it'll be the ones mentioned. Where are you located?

Here's one somewhat local to me that I just ran across. Don't know the guy, and to my knowledge I've never seen him drive by on the roads, but the car sure looks nice. http://annarbor.craigslist.org/cto/3590723357.html

Good luck!

Kadillaxin
02-16-13, 04:06 PM
Pac NW, but I'm open to shipping if I can get someone from the board to check out a rig for me. I'm also considering a road trip.

Chris Cornett
02-16-13, 05:45 PM
That car has been for sale for a while IIRC. I never looked at it cause I wanted a lower mileage 06/7. These cars are awesome. Its killing me cause I have only put like a hundred miles on it since I got it on Xmas eve due to poor weather.

thebigjimsho
02-16-13, 05:47 PM
Thanks, I will let you know what I find. I am in no hurry, looking for the right deal. I have a couple kids and I need the four doors. I got very excited when I came across the CTSV. I am so tired of automatics. I used to be into the early model SHO's, fun to drive, but I don't want to go there again.

What's a SHOW?

Kadillaxin
02-16-13, 08:06 PM
What's a SHOW?

Ha, now I know you are kidding :D

thebigjimsho
02-17-13, 07:26 AM
hmm...

JDB
02-17-13, 09:00 AM
Get a '06-07, if you like trucks. :stirpot:

Kadillaxin
02-17-13, 01:41 PM
Seriously?

SHO = Super High Output it was a Taurus with a Yamaha engine. Pretty advanced for the day. Started in 89 I believe 220hp fwd with a 5 speed. They cost an arm and a leg when new. Now some people can't give them away. I was partial to gen II, 92-95. Then they went to a v8 and jelly bean body in 96. Anyway, if you really didn't know thats a bit about them. They were a 3.0 engine that could turn 8k RPM with an accessory pulley upgrade and ECU.

----------[COLOR="Silver"]

----------

Please elaborate

rand49er
02-17-13, 02:18 PM
... Please elaborateIt's a really old feud between those of us with the LS6 motor ('04 & '05) and those with the LS2 motor ('06 & '07). The LS2 is also used in trucks. It also seems to put down a bit more hp, but nobody to my mind has shown a clear performance difference between the two. BOTH are good cars.

BTW, I had a '91 SHO that got stolen while in El Paso, TX, a '92 to replace that one, then later on a used '95 ... all 5-spds, all bone stock. Loved 'em.

thebigjimsho
02-17-13, 02:58 PM
8k rpm is just silliness when power fell off the map at 7200...

DangeRuss
02-17-13, 10:17 PM

There's no replacement for displacement. :lildevil:

thebigjimsho
02-17-13, 10:28 PM
Spoken like a true dumb musclehead, haha!

darkman
02-17-13, 10:29 PM
There's no replacement for displacement. :lildevil:

Sure there is - revolutions per minute. It just costs a lot more.

Kadillaxin
02-18-13, 12:16 AM
8k rpm is just silliness when power fell off the map at 7200...

Still pretty sweet.

DarkCharisma
02-18-13, 12:29 AM
It's a really old feud between those of us with the LS6 motor ('04 & '05) and those with the LS2 motor ('06 & '07). The LS2 is also used in trucks. It also seems to put down a bit more hp, but nobody to my mind has shown a clear performance difference between the two. BOTH are good cars.

BTW, I had a '91 SHO that got stolen while in El Paso, TX, a '92 to replace that one, then later on a used '95 ... all 5-spds, all bone stock. Loved 'em.

The LS2 might have the same displacement as the LQ4/LQ9, but it wasn't exactly the same ... unless I am missing some other factory option :confused:

mstrjon32
02-18-13, 02:34 AM
The difference is simple: The LS6 will put you in a ditch and the LS2 will tow you out of it.

Kadillaxin
02-21-13, 12:35 AM
So, there is a local car 2005 with 45k miles for $23k, I think I could get it for $20k. But, there is also one for sale that is supercharged with 60k miles for right around the same price.....thoughts???

rand49er
02-21-13, 06:51 AM
So, there is a local car 2005 with 45k miles for $23k, I think I could get it for $20k. But, there is also one for sale that is supercharged with 60k miles for right around the same price.....thoughts???If it checks out okay, get the supercharged one. You'll stay satisfied much longer.

AngryHog
02-21-13, 08:53 AM
Supercharged for sure. I supercharged my 2006 and 2 years later it still puts a huge smile on my face every time I punch the gas. Plus, my gas mileage went up after installing it.

Andringa
02-21-13, 09:52 AM
Supercharged for sure. I supercharged my 2006 and 2 years later it still puts a huge smile on my face every time I punch the gas. Plus, my gas mileage went up after installing it.

Witchcraft. This means that I can tell the wife I need a Supercharger to improve mileage... Excellent.

rand49er
02-21-13, 10:45 AM
... my gas mileage went up after installing it.You need to punch it more often, and that'll change.

RyRidesMotoX
02-21-13, 12:42 PM
Plus, my gas mileage went up after installing it.

You're doing it wrong... Lololol

mackey
02-21-13, 01:19 PM
get the SC ver if its the same money. though on that point, id also think about upgrading the rear diff if it hasnt been done already

for the era of the car and the price they can be had, its really good bang for the buck in terms of luxury and performance. youll be hard pressed to find another vehicle similarly spec'd and equipped for the same money.

Skidmarcx
02-21-13, 05:19 PM
PM sent... Mine is for sale... Not sure what your price range is or what exactly you looking for build wise, But pretty much everything breakable has been upgraded

thebigjimsho
03-02-13, 10:51 PM
Go for N/A. It's not molested, has plenty of power and less potential for problems...

xxxcrown
03-24-13, 09:11 AM
I would buy an 06-07 with low miles if you can find it. I held off from buying higher mileage 04-05's and was able to find an 07 with FG2 shocks, Corsa Exhaust, clears and under 30k miles. Definitely worth it to wait and find the better car.

CoolMomMobile
03-26-13, 09:33 AM
Pac NW, but I'm open to shipping if I can get someone from the board to check out a rig for me. I'm also considering a road trip.

I shipped mine to CT from the Pac NW. I used Horseless Carriage as my shipping Co. They are headquartered in NJ, but they have drivers located all over the country. Truly a class act organization. My driver called daily to tell me where the car was, and what was going on. They ship in enclosed tractor trailer trucks.

Have fun shopping!

4DoorZ06
03-26-13, 10:33 AM
I just bought an 05 with 92k for 11. The car seems to be in good mechanical conditions except for some annoying noises like a clunk.if I'm shifting hard or a slight rubbing noise from the back when I'm turning.

50 4Ever
03-26-13, 07:02 PM
Go for N/A. It's not molested, has plenty of power and less potential for problems...Big Jim is the forum expert on molestation, he would know.. ..:stirpot:

Hockeyref
03-27-13, 10:53 PM
Tried to send you a PM Kadillaxan but got a message that you have no more room for messages. I have been thinking about selling my V. My mid-life crisis is over and I am thinking about an SUV so I have more room for my grandkids (My daughter is having her second baby any day now). I have a 2006 CTS-V with 53,000 miles - stock except for cold air intake and CAGS. Let me know if you are still looking.

joshuajohn1981
03-27-13, 10:59 PM
I just bought an 05 with 92k for 11. The car seems to be in good mechanical conditions except for some annoying noises like a clunk.if I'm shifting hard or a slight rubbing noise from the back when I'm turning.

Damn! That sounds like an awesome deal. I've got an '05 with 90k and I wouldn't even think about selling it for that cheap!

Overd0s3
04-04-13, 01:42 AM
Ive got an 06 V mint for sale,

http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac-classifieds/cadillac-cts-vs-for-sale/p10303-2006-cts-v-black-2fblack-with-tasteful-modifications.html

Your PM box was full
Best of luck!

thebigjimsho
04-04-13, 04:17 PM
Big Jim is the forum expert on molestation, he would know.. ..:stirpot:

whoa whoa whoa!