: Cd player slot

CaddyEscalade
02-15-13, 08:27 PM
I want to remove the ugly factory CD player. I have seen some pics of people that have installed storage slots and such in this area. Does anyone know where I could buy something to fill this space?

Thanks!

6lbsofSound
02-15-13, 08:35 PM
Metra 88009000 its a universal pocket, it will need to modified slightly but it will work.

CaddyEscalade
02-17-13, 03:54 AM
Metra 88009000 its a universal pocket, it will need to modified slightly but it will work.

Excellent! thanks I ordered one already, hope it works.

CaddyEscalade
03-01-13, 11:51 AM
Just thought I would update this and say thanks that worked perfectly! I just removed the guts from the CD player with only a few screws and with a few slight mods it looks perfect! Thanks again!!!

the cadillac man
03-01-13, 11:56 AM
Just thought I would update this and say thanks that worked perfectly! I just removed the guts from the CD player with only a few screws and with a few slight mods it looks perfect! Thanks again!!!

Creative I like it

6lbsofSound
03-01-13, 01:33 PM
Glad to see that it worked out for you!

Silver04
11-15-14, 05:20 AM
Rather than start a new thread I thought I would add to this one on the same topic. For our 04 ESV I ordered the Metra 88009000 off Ebay for ~$11 shipped. First I removed the big trim ring around the instrument panel. It will pull off by hand or you can gently pry it with a plastic interior pry. Than you can clearly see and access the top clips of the trim that surround your hinged door cubby, cd player and clock. Gently pry those clips out. There are 2 more just like them, one on each side of the trim about 2/3 of the way down. Its off and free once you unplug the clock. The cd player is held in place by two clearly visible and accessible phillps screws. Remove them, slide the unit forward and unplug it. It is now free. Remove the faceplate. There are some tabs surrounding it, that with a little coaxing from a pair of standard screwdrivers, will come off. There are a number of smaller, Phillips gold screws that attach the "shell" of the cd player to the guts. Remove them and take out the guts. I simply cut the harness. Re-assemble the shell. The Metra kit comes will all sorts of stuff. All I used was the cubby and the middle sized trim piece. I did not need anything else. The mid sized trim ring snaps right onto the cubby like the photo of the previous poster. When you slide that into the shell you will see that the side tabs need to be bent outward just slightly on the shell for a solid snug fit. Screw the shell back into its place in the truck with the two Phillips screws with your new cubby in place. Plug your clock back in! Firmly and gently press both trim rings back into place. Done.
Now, my aftermarket head unit did not work on my ride home. However, next time I started the truck up, everything worked fine. I don't know why.

----------

Rather than start a new thread I thought I would add to this one on the same topic. For our 04 ESV I ordered the Metra 88009000 off Ebay for ~$11 shipped. First I removed the big trim ring around the instrument panel. It will pull off by hand or you can gently pry it with a plastic interior pry. Than you can clearly see and access the top clips of the trim that surround your hinged door cubby, cd player and clock. Gently pry those clips out. There are 2 more just like them, one on each side of the trim about 2/3 of the way down. Its off and free once you unplug the clock. The cd player is held in place by two clearly visible and accessible phillps screws. Remove them, slide the unit forward and unplug it. It is now free. Remove the faceplate. There are some tabs surrounding it, that with a little coaxing from a pair of standard screwdrivers, will come off. There are a number of smaller, Phillips gold screws that attach the "shell" of the cd player to the guts. Remove them and take out the guts. I simply cut the harness. Re-assemble the shell. The Metra kit comes will all sorts of stuff. All I used was the cubby and the middle sized trim piece. I did not need anything else. The mid sized trim ring snaps right onto the cubby like the photo of the previous poster. When you slide that into the shell you will see that the side tabs need to be bent outward just slightly on the shell for a solid snug fit. There are several other tabs that need to be bent up as well. You will see them.Screw the shell back into its place in the truck with the two Phillips screws with your new cubby in place. Plug your clock back in! Firmly and gently press both trim rings back into place. Done.
Now, my aftermarket head unit did not work on my ride home. However, next time I started the truck up, everything worked fine. I don't know why.

Esco04
11-17-14, 01:23 PM
I never use the CD changer since I got the iSimple iPod interface. So I took my CD player out and did not install a pocket, simply tucked the CD harness plug up & away. There is a ton of space in there now! The opening is super deep. A pocket would be cleaner looking when empty, but now I can store a wallet and 2 pairs of sunglasses in there and still have room left over.

the cadillac man
11-17-14, 02:21 PM
I was wondering if a custom pocket could be made
I am going to remove the cd changer(got ruined due to drink spill) in my mom's 02 when I install a aftermarket radio and instead of a empty hole

caddydaddy
11-17-14, 08:56 PM
Awesome idea! I just installed a new head unit, since my 3 year old filled the factory Nav with coins! The new unit won't work with a CD changer, so I've been trying to figure out what to do with that spot. This will work perfect!

the cadillac man
11-17-14, 11:55 PM
Awesome idea! I just installed a new head unit, since my 3 year old filled the factory Nav with coins! The new unit work work with a CD changer, so I've been trying to figure out what to do with that spot. This will work perfect!

That sounds like a costly mistake

caddydaddy
11-18-14, 12:05 AM
That sounds like a costly mistake

Yea, but he's 3, so what can you do! He knows better now (I hope!). And to be truthful, the factory Nav sucks and I kind of wanted to replace it anyways. My son just expedited that process!

the cadillac man
11-18-14, 11:20 AM
Yea, but he's 3, so what can you do! He knows better now (I hope!). And to be truthful, the factory Nav sucks and I kind of wanted to replace it anyways. My son just expedited that process!

True