: Help!!!

insomniak50
02-15-13, 05:38 PM
Hey guys, I have a 2006 ext im having a problem with the radio, im trying to hook up satellite radio. i have had it in there before. now when i press the band button im only getting FM1-FM2-AM.. No XM1-XM2 or Aux i have the ipod hook up and the ipod is getting power just not coming up on the radio..any suggestions?

THANKS in Advance

6lbsofSound
02-15-13, 05:43 PM
What iPod adapter did you get? Most adapters don't allow the satellite radio option to work when the iPod adapter is installed.

insomniak50
02-15-13, 05:52 PM
i got it from best buy awhile back. i dont know what modle it is. it was working with the satellite before just all of sudden nothing.

6lbsofSound
02-15-13, 05:56 PM
Ok might be the unit itself have you checked the connection to and from the adapter and radio?

I only ask because some units don't work with the factory xm radio and its either iPod adapter or xm. Good to rule out the simple questions before we dive further into the issue.

the cadillac man
02-15-13, 06:19 PM
Hey guys, I have a 2006 ext im having a problem with the radio, im trying to hook up satellite radio. i have had it in there before. now when i press the band button im only getting FM1-FM2-AM.. No XM1-XM2 or Aux i have the ipod hook up and the ipod is getting power just not coming up on the radio..any suggestions?

THANKS in Advance

One thing you haven't mentioned is the make and model of the iPod interface or the sat radio tuner

insomniak50
02-15-13, 06:29 PM
it's a PXAMG peripheral..checked all connections everything looks good. ipod is charging

the cadillac man
02-15-13, 07:00 PM
it's a PXAMG peripheral..checked all connections everything looks good. ipod is charging

What is the make and model of the sat radio
I have the same media gateway(which I like)

insomniak50
02-15-13, 07:04 PM
just factory radio

6lbsofSound
02-15-13, 07:15 PM
Are all the dip switches in the off position? The only other item that can come up is sometimes an update from the iPod/phone. Double check dip switches 1&2 and make sure they are on. And then try resetting the iPod/phone.

the cadillac man
02-15-13, 07:19 PM
just factory radio

Try pulling the radio fuse in the under hood fuse box(I had to do this before with mine) and see if it resets the gateway as it sounds like the unit needs resetting as the xm band should show then you use the tune knob to switch sources (eg iPod, bt, aux 1 and aux2) the xm tuner(if it is factory) should show as sat in the list of sources under the gateway

Leave the fuse out for a few mins to let the power drain from the gateway

6lbsofSound
02-15-13, 08:19 PM
Why not just unplug the unit? And then plug it back in rather than hunt for a fuse under the hood. It shoul reset itself.

insomniak50
02-15-13, 08:40 PM
all dip switches are in off position, checked fuses, although i didn't leave it out too long. and i did unplug unit..i'll try to take fuse out for a couple minutes see if that works..next option i was thinking of going to best buy and seeing what they make of it

the cadillac man
02-15-13, 09:19 PM
all dip switches are in off position, checked fuses, although i didn't leave it out too long. and i did unplug unit..i'll try to take fuse out for a couple minutes see if that works..next option i was thinking of going to best buy and seeing what they make of it

DO NOT GO TO BEST BUY I can walk you through removing the radio and you can check out the media gateway yourself

Best buy installers are inexperienced fools that are only there for the money

6lbsofSound
02-16-13, 07:40 AM
What a ridiculous thing to say your offer to help is irrelevant, and bashing best buy and the employees makes you loose credibility. I am sure some people on here are employed by best buy and might find that offensive.

Insomniak50 good call on going back to where you bought the unit. They can at least swap out your old one if it is defective. It could be a bad unit at this point. Did they do the install?

the cadillac man
02-16-13, 12:25 PM
What a ridiculous thing to say your offer to help is irrelevant, and bashing best buy and the employees makes you loose credibility. I am sure some people on here are employed by best buy and might find that offensive.

Insomniak50 good call on going back to where you bought the unit. They can at least swap out your old one if it is defective. It could be a bad unit at this point. Did they do the install?

I am not bashing all best buy stores I was just saying that the one he went to might not have experienced workers for car audio(I know the one in my area doesn't have workers that can install a car radio)
Also these units do have a factory warranty that would cover a defective unit which is what it is sounding like

As far as offering help I was going to tell him how to remove the unit himself to save time and money
As far as creditability look on google how some people have to say for themselves about how best buy does on car audio installion

insomniak50
02-16-13, 03:21 PM
yes best buy did the install.. but like i said it was working fine. i had it installed like 2 almost 3 years ago. i did unplug it from the back of the stereo and the unit it self and still nothing. im thinking maybe they have another solution..

mikedyk43
02-16-13, 03:24 PM
yes best buy did the install.. but like i said it was working fine. i had it installed like 2 almost 3 years ago. i did unplug it from the back of the stereo and the unit it self and still nothing. im thinking maybe they have another solution..

It sounds to me that either the peripheral unit has died or the wiring to it has broken.

insomniak50
02-16-13, 04:46 PM
wouldn't you think that xm1-xm2 would be able to come up on the head unit though?

the cadillac man
02-16-13, 05:18 PM
wouldn't you think that xm1-xm2 would be able to come up on the head unit though?

The media gateway works off the data bus like the radio if it has a problem then it won't work I had a wiring issue with my sat radio tuner (due to bad wiring on my part) that would work for a few seconds then throw xm error on the radio screen and not work after
I even unhooked my media gateway to see if it was conflicting and it wasn't so now I have to redo the wiring hook up for my tuner

So if the xm band isn't showing up(which is what all aftermarket add ons work on)then the add on either isn't working or has a problem
It can't be a wiring issue as the data bus goes in and out of the media gateway

insomniak50
02-18-13, 12:05 AM
so what do you think i should do next?

the cadillac man
02-18-13, 12:56 AM
so what do you think i should do next?

Try the radio tuner without the media gateway to see if it works if the tuner works then the media gateway may be bad

I know how you feel the iPod cable on mine is going nutty(right channel of audio acts up randomly)

insomniak50
02-18-13, 01:31 AM
when i unplug the media gateway.(im assuming you mean the PXAMG)..the whole radio turns off

the cadillac man
02-18-13, 02:24 AM
when i unplug the media gateway.(im assuming you mean the PXAMG)..the whole radio turns off

Remove the harness for the gateway and try the sat tuner without the gateway harness as it will do that if you remove the gateway unit from the harness(I did this and it scared me as I thought I killed my radio)

insomniak50
02-18-13, 03:02 PM
the gateway is wired into the harness for the radio, when i unplug the gateway the radio will not turn on no power.

the cadillac man
02-18-13, 03:52 PM
the gateway is wired into the harness for the radio, when i unplug the gateway the radio will not turn on no power.

Do me a favor if you can email me a pic or two of the unit connected so I can see what's up
general0282001@yahoo.com
As the harness for the gateway should be separate from the factory harness for the radio