: Question Re Front Bumper Cover Modification

RubirosaGGatsby
02-15-13, 04:32 PM
Trying to get some insight on the feasibility of this project. There aren't too many... or any (that I've seen)... options out there for bolt-on custom body parts. I wanted to put a slightly unique, more aggressive look to the car without getting too deep into custom fabrication. I figured I'd consider this and ask here about what headaches it could cause. Quick Photoshop of the idea:

http://i1327.photobucket.com/albums/u676/RubirosaGGatsby/BA_zps71183eba.jpg

The procedure would boil down to either cutting out the lower grill or simply painting it black. I'd prefer the former (removing the lower grill altogether), but wasn't sure if there may be too much instability in the lower cross-portion without that lower grill connecting it all together. Options for allaying that issue that I thought of included leaving a center pillar (hidden mostly by license plate frame) and painting it black, or putting some sort of reinforcement along the bottom (I'd presume this to be much more difficult).

Advice/Opinions?

MoistCabbage
02-15-13, 07:55 PM
It would definitely sag if you removed the vertical slats of the lower grille. Leaving just one in the center would probably result in slight sagging to either side. I would just paint it satin black.

Superjim
02-16-13, 12:55 AM
If you do the bottom grill black... you might think of doing the regular grill either paint to match the car or maybe do it in the same black as the lower grill and leave the Chrome wreath and Cadillac emblem in the center to accent it...

jazoo
02-16-13, 03:44 PM
You might affect the design of the front grill by changing airflow drag patterns when cruising on the highway. I would paint the bottom grill black if you don't like the existing beautiful grill color matching the rest of the front. But then, of course, it's your baby!!

MoistCabbage
02-16-13, 04:44 PM
I don't think he'll have to consider aerodynamics, as long as he keeps it under 180 MPH or so...

RubirosaGGatsby
02-16-13, 06:00 PM
This is my current grill:

http://i1327.photobucket.com/albums/u676/RubirosaGGatsby/578961c3-9e54-4cff-836c-47727e09f2b7_zpsbedb7261.jpg

It's color matched and has simple "chrome" overlays on the lower grill. I like the open, sportier look from my above Photoshop. With the advice I've seen in here, I'll probably test out how I like it with black Plastidip before taking it to a shop and having it painted black permanently.