: Anyone ever try this approach to their audio setup?

DarkCharisma
02-15-13, 12:14 AM
After dicking around with my PA15-Vette some more and not having it work, I started cursing the factory setup. Here's what I am thinking:

Single DIN in the glovebox.
USB cable run to my Kindle Fire HD, with a in-car mount.
Remove factory Bose entirely, replace with aftermarket components.
Leave factory head unit in the same location, unmodified, for a "stealth" look. It would appear totally stock, sans having the Fire mount where the 6-disc would be.
I did a bunch of searching, and while I found lots of carputers and tablets in various other cars, nothing really about the V that keeps the factory unit. The only real downside to this that I can see is losing some glovebox space, which sucks already.

I have a nice modern single DIN unit with all the bells and whistles (BT, XM/Sirius, FM-HD, etc) that's gathering dust in my MR2 Spyder. I already use my Fire for mobile media, and it does an awesome job at that; it'd be a bit bigger than the other screen but a TON clearer, and have WAY more options--including being able to hotspot with my 4G phone and stream all sorts of media that'd otherwise be unavailable.

Thoughts? Potential complications? Suggestions?

thebigjimsho
02-15-13, 11:34 AM
Go for it! I use my Nexus 7 in my Town Car. Not to take over audio, but with Wi-Fi always with me, I could do that, too...

kciaccio
02-22-13, 05:41 PM
http://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v/1596675-heavys-ultra-radio-modification.html

silentwig
02-22-13, 08:32 PM
yeah heavymetals should be interesting. I like the idea, but I don't want to commit yet. If his prototype is stout for my tastes, Ill probably jump on the band wagon.

WesH8398
02-23-13, 07:12 AM
How come the PA15-VETTE didn't work?