: Will LS3 clutch work with LS6 motor?

04 caddie
02-14-13, 08:54 PM
Like the title states I was wondering if this setup will work. The reason I am wanting to do the LS3 instead of the LS7 is because I am getting the clutch for free. If it does work will I still need an LS7 slave cylinder? Also anything thing else that I will need please let me know. Oh forgot to add I want to put in a lightweight flywheel also. If anybody has any recommendations on lightweight flywheels it would be appreciated. The car is an mostly stock besides CAI and exhaust. Not wanting to make big power, probably keep it how it is. Thanks for the advice in advance.

NC-V
02-14-13, 09:27 PM
It will bolt up and you can certainly run it. It would still be an upgrade from the stock dual mass and lighter. I have seen multiple ls3 Camaros in the 600+ hp range run the stock clutch on the street ( no racing ), but I have also seen them come apart on a stock motor. Be aware that the LS3 pressure plate mounts to raised stansions on the flywheel so finger height will be different and you will need to take measurements to see what slave or slave/shim combo you will need to run. Power handling shouldn't be an issue, and it is a pretty hefty unit so it should be pretty easy to start from a stop.

04 caddie
02-14-13, 09:55 PM
It will bolt up and you can certainly run it. It would still be an upgrade from the stock dual mass and lighter. I have seen multiple ls3 Camaros in the 600+ hp range run the stock clutch on the street ( no racing ), but I have also seen them come apart on a stock motor. Be aware that the LS3 pressure plate mounts to raised stansions on the flywheel so finger height will be different and you will need to take measurements to see what slave or slave/shim combo you will need to run. Power handling shouldn't be an issue, and it is a pretty hefty unit so it should be pretty easy to start from a stop.

Thanks for the answer. So can I run a LS3 clutch with a LS6 lightweight flywheel? Sorry if I am asking dumb questions. I was originally going to go with the LS7 setup but was given this clutch (LS3) for free. What would you recommend that I do? Given I am wanting to do a complete clutch install with lightweight flywheel.

barrok69
02-15-13, 07:57 AM

I'm pretty sure LS3 Camaro SS's come stock with LS7 clutches.

NC-V
02-15-13, 12:36 PM
I'm pretty sure LS3 Camaro SS's come stock with LS7 clutches.

Yes, essentially it is

To the OP: It will not work with a standard LS6 lightened flywheel, you would need to get a ls3/7 flywheel. Like I said in the other post, the LS3/7 pressure plate mounts on a raised platform where a standard LS6 flywheel surface is flat. If you have the whole clutch/flywheel assembly you can bolt it on as is with a ls7 slave (still recommend measuring finger height for proper TOB distance).

On left is LS7/3 setup right is a normal (not dual mass, it's a Corvette ls6 FW & PP)

NC-V
02-15-13, 12:37 PM
Oops

04 caddie
02-15-13, 10:34 PM
Yes, essentially it is

To the OP: It will not work with a standard LS6 lightened flywheel, you would need to get a ls3/7 flywheel. Like I said in the other post, the LS3/7 pressure plate mounts on a raised platform where a standard LS6 flywheel surface is flat. If you have the whole clutch/flywheel assembly you can bolt it on as is with a ls7 slave (still recommend measuring finger height for proper TOB distance).

On left is LS7/3 setup right is a normal (not dual mass, it's a Corvette ls6 FW & PP)

Thanks for clearing that up. I am not mechanically inclined what-so-ever so I will not be doing the install. Just wanted to make sure I had all the right parts when he started the job. Thanks for all the information.

Twitch
02-19-13, 04:45 PM
I'm running a RAM flywheel with my LS7 clutch/PP. They say it's 19lbs but on two different scales, mine came in at 16. No problems with it for two years and driveability is very stock-like. Even in NYC stop and go.

Make sure your mechanic puts everything back together the way he takes it off. You don't want to start another "I changed my clutch and now I have a vibration" thread :tisk:

WesH8398
02-23-13, 06:44 AM
I'm running a RAM flywheel with my LS7 clutch/PP. They say it's 19lbs but on two different scales, mine came in at 16. No problems with it for two years and driveability is very stock-like. Even in NYC stop and go.

Make sure your mechanic puts everything back together the way he takes it off. You don't want to start another "I changed my clutch and now I have a vibration" thread :tisk:
Did you happen to have the RAM fly & LS7 clutch before you had any tuning done? I'm curious about drivability on stock-tuned V's. I've been warned about idles dropping and stalling issues on stock tunes... As well as other potential issues...

darkman
02-23-13, 09:21 AM
Did you happen to have the RAM fly & LS7 clutch before you had any tuning done? I'm curious about drivability on stock-tuned V's. I've been warned about idles dropping and stalling issues on stock tunes... As well as other potential issues...

I drove with a lightweigt UUC flywheel (manufactured by Fidanza) installed with an otherwise stock clutch setup with no change to stock tuning for two years with no driveabilty issues. Second gear starts, for example, remained effortless.

WesH8398
02-24-13, 02:04 AM
I drove with a lightweigt UUC flywheel (manufactured by Fidanza) installed with an otherwise stock clutch setup with no change to stock tuning for two years with no driveabilty issues. Second gear starts, for example, remained effortless.

Interesting. It was the guy from East Coast Performance that was warning me about issues with going with a lightweight flywheel. Seems that they've got a ton of experience with ls7 swaps, so I don't know who to listen to.

darkman
02-24-13, 09:39 AM
Interesting. It was the guy from East Coast Performance that was warning me about issues with going with a lightweight flywheel. Seems that they've got a ton of experience with ls7 swaps, so I don't know who to listen to.

Well your guy from East Coast Performance does have theory on his side. Specifically, a lighter flywheel should require a crank relearn procedure, which adjusts programming to reflect the engine running characteristics caused by changes to the rotating mass (in layman's terms). This is to prevent erroneaous diagnostic error codes from a change in components.

And, there are parts of the stock tune, which are tailored to the stock setup including the flywheel weight which theoretically could cause driveabilty issues. (My tuner encountered these when I added heads & cam to my setup.)

Nonetheless, I don't recall anyone on this forum complaining about driveabilty issues with the lightweight flywheels, and many did not have tunes.

Twitch
02-25-13, 08:11 AM
Already had a tune at that point, but I didn't need to change anything after the clutch swap.