: Exhaust Work

Rozay619
02-14-13, 08:02 PM
Hey guys, I am going to get some exhaust work done tomorrow, since there is no cat-back or axle-back exhaust systems available yet. Not really concerned with the performance increase as much as i would like to hear the vehicle purr... Any suggestions, I’m thinking of removing the large resonator at the back and the smaller one in the middle back of the vehicle and use 2 1/2 or 3 1/2 straight tubing from what looks like the Catylic Converter. I want the tail pipes to look the same as they do now. I am assuming this picture is correct; I circled the 2 in yellow i think are resonators, and the red i think is the Cat... please correct me if I am wrong. Any suggestions would be great!!

Thanks,
Mike

FDNY-L107
02-16-13, 03:08 PM
The red circled is not the cat. Just another resonator. I've had mine over to my performance shop and we have already begun to spec out a cat back system. Since you're ahead of the aftermarket, one approach you may want to consider is removing one resonator at time until you achieve the sound performance you are looking for. By removing all three at once, the sound may be too raspy and could pop. I'd start with the center one and work back. Yes, it will take several trips back to the shop that is doing the work, but in the end, you will get a better system. We were thinking 2 3/4" or 3" pipe - I'm not sure you'll need larger than 3". There is plenty of room under there - that is the good news. The pipe routes are also very easy and should prove out to be a nice gain.

Good luck.

mikesul
02-16-13, 04:44 PM
Looks like you can lose some weight with that rear resonator removed. Wish Corsa made a catback as I always had their systems on my Corvettes. Great sound - no drone. I'll be looking forward to some sound recordings of your experiments.
You can see clearly how they are all set for a "V" engine (TT6 or 8) with twin exhausts from the cats back.

ewired
02-16-13, 09:34 PM
Wish Corsa made a catback

Spoke with Corsa last weekend at a Tradeshow in Dallas. They are aware of the ATS and have plans to look into it. However he did say that the R@D has their handful with some mopar stuff that is taking a lot of their time. The demand of the SRT is there and at this time the ATS is not. I'm going to give them a call next week and talk shop.

mikesul
02-17-13, 11:47 AM
Spoke with Corsa last weekend at a Tradeshow in Dallas. They are aware of the ATS and have plans to look into it. However he did say that the R@D has their handful with some mopar stuff that is taking a lot of their time. The demand of the SRT is there and at this time the ATS is not. I'm going to give them a call next week and talk shop.

See if you can get some ATS sales figures to give them a feeling for potential market size! :)

exesivefire
02-18-13, 11:50 PM
I'm not far from corsa if they need a car...

Rozay619
02-19-13, 12:38 PM

Here a few pics of before, during and after. As you can see from the before pic we (performance shop manager and I) decided to remove the back two resonators and keep the first one ...... 2 Ĺ piping was used, and a MagnaFlow muffler, I think the model number on it was 12266 in case anyone was wondering. Since the stock exhaust tips were double walled and look awesome already we kept them, and besides I wanted it to look stock!! It's somewhat difficult to see the work he did as he painted the piping with a black heat proof coating, looks kinda cool IMO as you can only see the tips and the muffler.. I tried to take some in car sound clips, but my iphone wouldn’t pic up any sound (cadillac did a good job of removing the road noise too), and of course my wife laughed at me when I asked her to help… :-( The tone is amazing, when you start the car it purrs and doesn’t have that annoying rice rocket constant drone while at crusing speeds! The muffler will also settle in and will eventually get louder. I am going to try and get some decent sound clips this week for everyone, what would you guys like to hear?? (oh yeah, the first picture of the two resonators connected probably weighed close to 40 pounds.....)

Mike

thebigjimsho
02-19-13, 01:54 PM
Looks really good! Can't wait for some sound clips...

exesivefire
02-19-13, 08:31 PM
Interested in a sound clip myself, good call leaving the front resonator, having one that far forward helps reduce that rasp

mikesul
02-20-13, 10:17 AM
]You didn't happen to weight the parts you took off and the parts you put on did you? I was wondering how much weight could be pared off the car. Nice work by the way. I would also paint the Magnaflow muffler with the same black paint.

Rozay619
02-20-13, 11:50 AM
]You didn't happen to weight the parts you took off and the parts you put on did you? I was wondering how much weight could be pared off the car. Nice work by the way. I would also paint the Magnaflow muffler with the same black paint.

I did actually pick up the stock resonators before they threw it in the scrap metal pile, and it was close to 35-40 lbs... i was supprised that it could have weighed that much, that largest resonator was where most of the weight was held. I actually like the look of the stainless muffler and the chrome exhaust tips, besides you can't see any of the exhaust anyways so IMO it doesn't make that big of a difference.

Update on the sound clips, the weather is shit right now, raining and windy as all hell... I'm going to shoot for this Saturday afternoon to get some uploaded, a buddy of mine is going to let me borrow his Go Pro and i will mount it to a couple different spots on the car and upload the videos to youtube!!! Reallying looking forward to trying it out...

mikesul
02-21-13, 12:17 PM
Rozay,
I liked what you did so ordered the same Magnaflow muffler and took your pictures to my exhaust shop for a quote. He looked at the muffler and said " Oh, your using the Camaro muffler". I am looking forward to Monday when the install goes in.
Thanks again for the research work!

Rozay619
02-21-13, 01:27 PM
Rozay,
I liked what you did so ordered the same Magnaflow muffler and took your pictures to my exhaust shop for a quote. He looked at the muffler and said " Oh, your using the Camaro muffler". I am looking forward to Monday when the install goes in.
Thanks again for the research work!

Just curious what was the quote for the work, and how much did u pay for the muffler??

mikesul
02-21-13, 04:05 PM
PM sent.

Atswatcher
02-21-13, 05:37 PM
Reducing weight at the very bottom of the car should not be a priority, since it raises the center of gravity. Good clean sound is the goal of course.

Rozay619
02-21-13, 10:26 PM
Reducing weight at the very bottom of the car should not be a priority, since it raises the center of gravity. Good clean sound is the goal of course.

The weight reduction wasn't even an issue, more of an afterthought!

ewired
02-22-13, 02:56 PM
MAGNAFLOW has issued a part number 15194 for 2.0L and 15196 for 3.6L. However these are just recently added which means 3-6 months for actual product

mikesul
02-22-13, 03:01 PM
They did the same thing for the CTS coupe when it came out. I waited 6+ months for the part to be available.

Rozay619
02-22-13, 03:49 PM
They did the same thing for the CTS coupe when it came out. I waited 6+ months for the part to be available.

I'm too impatient to wait 6 months.. plus the cost of it is going to be close to double what an exhaust/muffler shop would charge, IMO..

Pfadt Engineering
02-22-13, 05:30 PM
Hey guys, I am going to get some exhaust work done tomorrow, since there is no cat-back or axle-back exhaust systems available yet. Not really concerned with the performance increase as much as i would like to hear the vehicle purr... Any suggestions, Iím thinking of removing the large resonator at the back and the smaller one in the middle back of the vehicle and use 2 1/2 or 3 1/2 straight tubing from what looks like the Catylic Converter. I want the tail pipes to look the same as they do now. I am assuming this picture is correct; I circled the 2 in yellow i think are resonators, and the red i think is the Cat... please correct me if I am wrong. Any suggestions would be great!!

Thanks,
Mike

Mike,

Nice work on getting a jump on your exhaust work. Contrary to that one other poster, I do believe the red circled piece is a cat. There is a close coupled cat in the downpipe and this is the secondary cat. I have not cut one open, but from the GM CAD models, it shows a matrix inside of it, not baffles like a resonator. I could be wrong. :)

We'll be launching our downpipe soon, picked up 15 hp on the dyno, downpipe only.

-Aaron

Rozay619
02-23-13, 12:10 AM
Here is two quick sound clips of my exhaust... Ill be trying the Go Pro tomorrow if the weather holds up.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RRZlKk-ha40&feature=youtube_gdata_player&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DRRZlKk-ha40%26feature%3Dyoutube_gdata_player

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plcp&v=frKvt32EJvk

Hopefully the links work.

Mike

Its an ATS
02-23-13, 12:16 AM
MAGNAFLOW has issued a part number 15194 for 2.0L and 15196 for 3.6L. However these are just recently added which means 3-6 months for actual product

Just talked my magnaflow rep. Those are for the RWD ATS, their engineer will be modifying to work with the AWD in the future.

FDNY-L107
02-26-13, 12:31 PM
Mike,

Nice work on getting a jump on your exhaust work. Contrary to that one other poster, I do believe the red circled piece is a cat. There is a close coupled cat in the downpipe and this is the secondary cat. I have not cut one open, but from the GM CAD models, it shows a matrix inside of it, not baffles like a resonator. I could be wrong. :)

We'll be launching our downpipe soon, picked up 15 hp on the dyno, downpipe only.

-Aaron

I have a call into GM to identify that part number and description. Will post the information as soon as I received confirmation back from GM. Thanks.

mikesul
03-01-13, 02:04 PM
I just finished changing out the exhaust as Rozay619 did. Put in the Magnaflow "Camaro" muffler and took out the mid resonator and large rear muffler. Actually the sound seems to be slightly quieter at idle, but still sounds very nice at 6500 rpm. Weighed all the pieces removed and reinstalled and have a net loss of 23.7#. New muffler 12.6#, old middy 7.8#, and large rear 28.6#. At normal cruising speed (60-70 mph) the system is quieter with no drone at all.

Rozay619
03-05-13, 04:46 PM
I just finished changing out the exhaust as Rozay619 did. Put in the Magnaflow "Camaro" muffler and took out the mid resonator and large rear muffler. Actually the sound seems to be slightly quieter at idle, but still sounds very nice at 6500 rpm. Weighed all the pieces removed and reinstalled and have a net loss of 23.7#. New muffler 12.6#, old middy 7.8#, and large rear 28.6#. At normal cruising speed (60-70 mph) the system is quieter with no drone at all.

Not a huge change, but nice IMO... what are your thoughts so far?? I'm sure yours sounds slightly different being a 6spd and mine auto..

mikesul
03-06-13, 11:59 AM
The sound is a little less raucous, no drone. Actually quieter at idle, less harsh. Nice roar at WOT, but the best part is no drone at highway cruising speeds. Overall, I am very happy with the change.

Fraggy
03-13-13, 09:50 PM
Hey Rozay,
I'm in SD too! I'd love to hear your exhaust.

cullama213
03-29-13, 12:15 AM
Rozay and Mike,

Any concerns about warranty issues?

Just curious as I am interested in doing some mods to my 2.0...

Fraggy
03-29-13, 01:14 AM
I hope we get a response.

Rongotti
03-29-13, 10:00 AM
I have never seen adding exhaust void anything except something going wrong with the exhaust itself. I have put exhaust on my last few vehicles and never had any problem whatsoever. I plan on doing mine but am waiting for ATS specific hardware

mikesul
03-29-13, 01:52 PM
There won't be any effect on your warranty.

FDNY-L107
04-07-13, 12:10 PM
I have a call into GM to identify that part number and description. Will post the information as soon as I received confirmation back from GM. Thanks.

Folks, I stand corrected and indeed that is a mid-cat positioned in the ATS exhaust system (originally circled and indicated in "red"). Please note the picture below of the cat removed. Sorry for the speculation.

M5eater
05-09-13, 11:36 AM
I wonder if this is simply for the 2.5's or if it's an actual exhaust for the 2.0/3.6's as well.

http://www.gmaccessorieszone.com/Cadillac/en-US/ATS/2013/Accessories/Performance/Performance%20Exhaust%20Upgrade%20Package/

Rozay619
05-09-13, 12:05 PM
I wonder if this is simply for the 2.5's or if it's an actual exhaust for the 2.0/3.6's as well.

http://www.gmaccessorieszone.com/Cadillac/en-US/ATS/2013/Accessories/Performance/Performance%20Exhaust%20Upgrade%20Package/

I dont see any difference from what the 2.0t already have??? Mine already looks like that.

M5eater
05-09-13, 02:09 PM
I dont see any difference from what the 2.0t already have??? Mine already looks like that.

I would presume it would be functionaly the same similar to the V1's performance exhaust (if it applies for the 2.0T & 3.6) in that it just sounds more agressive.

donavo
05-09-13, 02:54 PM
im having my technician verify that actually. its either just a conversion for the 2.5 to have dual exhaust tips, or its a "performance increase" exhaust.

Rozay619
05-09-13, 05:20 PM
I may be wrong, but it seems to me this is just a piece of plastic or a covering.... taken from the website.."A stylish, rear fascia piece".

donavo
05-09-13, 05:46 PM
I may be wrong, but it seems to me this is just a piece of plastic or a covering.... taken from the website.."A stylish, rear fascia piece".

that refers to the plastic rear cover that has 2 exhaust holes instead of one (like on the 2.5). which is why i think all this is, is a dual tip setup for the non dual tip 2.5 trim