: P0758 code puzzle - 03 ESV

84caddy
02-14-13, 06:31 PM
been having an on again off again problem with my 03 ESV. Randomly, for no reason at all, I will lose 1st and 4th gear. Tranny stays in 3rd. can manually shift into 2nd, but not 1st or 4th (D). Initially, I would schedule an appointment, and ever single time it would disappear over-night. Then one time I left the truck, locked it, ran an errand, came back - tranny all back to normal. Eventually, I figured out a pattern to make it go away....pull over, put in park, turn off ignition, open door, close door, set alarm, unset alarm, open and close the door, key on - fixed. Has to be exactly that pattern or it won't work!

2 weeks ago this started happening all the time, and my trick stopped working every time. check engine light was on so we ran the codes. P0758 2-3 shift. replaced the ignition switch - no change. looking around online I see alot of P0758 threads, but none showing a solution, and none talking about how it can be fixed by setting/unsetting the alarm!

any ideas?

2003 ESV 130k miles
factory alarm, no aftermarket starter

the cadillac man
02-14-13, 06:44 PM
been having an on again off again problem with my 03 ESV. Randomly, for no reason at all, I will lose 1st and 4th gear. Tranny stays in 3rd. can manually shift into 2nd, but not 1st or 4th (D). Initially, I would schedule an appointment, and ever single time it would disappear over-night. Then one time I left the truck, locked it, ran an errand, came back - tranny all back to normal. Eventually, I figured out a pattern to make it go away....pull over, put in park, turn off ignition, open door, close door, set alarm, unset alarm, open and close the door, key on - fixed. Has to be exactly that pattern or it won't work!

2 weeks ago this started happening all the time, and my trick stopped working every time. check engine light was on so we ran the codes. P0758 2-3 shift. replaced the ignition switch - no change. looking around online I see alot of P0758 threads, but none showing a solution, and none talking about how it can be fixed by setting/unsetting the alarm!

any ideas?

2003 ESV 130k miles
factory alarm, no aftermarket starter

Sounds like a shift solenoid is failing in the tranny
Or the PCM is going nutty

Caddy2004X
02-14-13, 11:12 PM
Google search found this;

P0758 Description; Shift solenoid valve B is turned ON or OFF by the Transmission Control Module (TCM) in response to signals sent from the park/neutral position (PNP) switch, vehicle speed and Engine Control Module (ECM) (throttle opening). Gears will then be shifted to the optimum position.

the cadillac man
02-14-13, 11:47 PM
Google search found this;

P0758 Description; Shift solenoid valve B is turned ON or OFF by the Transmission Control Module (TCM) in response to signals sent from the park/neutral position (PNP) switch, vehicle speed and Engine Control Module (ECM) (throttle opening). Gears will then be shifted to the optimum position.

Gm code sheet shows for P0758 2-3 shift solenoid valve electrical most likely the solenoid is failing due to age and wear it can be cured with new and improved solenoid(the oe ones are plastic and the new ones are metal)

84caddy
02-16-13, 01:27 PM
thanks for the input fellas - will let you know what we find out

the cadillac man
02-16-13, 01:47 PM
thanks for the input fellas - will let you know what we find out

Don't forget to have them check the wiring for the transmission to be sure it ain't a possible wiring problem