: Would you buy a V with over 100K miles?

Spitfire007
02-14-13, 02:49 PM
Interested in how many people would honestly consider buying a CTS-V with a little over 100000 miles, knowing what the car is like.
I may have found one for sale in the midwest that I'm considering because of the price.

If the car appears to be in good shape, drives well, with a recent Diff change to an updated one, would you go for it?

It's a Black on Black 2005, about 120K. for $13000..

Thanks!

alradco
02-14-13, 03:10 PM
I would however I would be very meticulous about a full inspection and maintenance records. The LS motors seem to run great for a long time but there are a lot of other parts on the car that will wear out.

rand49er
02-14-13, 03:44 PM
As stated above, as long as routine maintenance has been done and things attended to as they crop up, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a V for $13k with 120k on the clock.

HAMSTAR
02-14-13, 05:46 PM
If the price was right, yes. You can get some awesome deals on high mileage Vs that have ha quality mods like 8.8 diff.

tophat
02-14-13, 06:06 PM
I bought my 04 with 112,000 for $13000. Other than a few small things (motor mounts, radio knobs peeling and a small radiator leak) it was is perfect shape with all maintance records and receipts from day 1. Ive only had it for 6 months now but its been the best purchase Ive ever made, Im sure Ill spend some money fixing other things down the road but with good upkeep this car will be around for a long long time.

silentwig
02-14-13, 09:30 PM
As long as its not beat to hell you should be fine. Just ask yourself if this will be your daily driver or not? If it is go though it with a fine tooth comb and get anything that needs fixing and fix it.

People get scared because they are buying a high mileage vehicle. I just look at it this way. You could have paid 50k for it new and depreciated the hell out of it and be in a 13k resale. Imagine how that feels losing 37k over the ownership or buy it for 13k and put 2-3k fixing it maybe.

mberisha
02-14-13, 09:49 PM
Yes....next question please....

odla
02-14-13, 11:06 PM
as long as it was taken care of it should last with little problems if any.

odthetruth
02-15-13, 12:43 AM
Interested in how many people would honestly consider buying a CTS-V with a little over 100000 miles, knowing what the car is like.
I may have found one for sale in the midwest that I'm considering because of the price.

If the car appears to be in good shape, drives well, with a recent Diff change to an updated one, would you go for it?

It's a Black on Black 2005, about 120K. for $13000..

Thanks!

Yes. I picked up my 06 with 118k for $14 grand mid-late 2011. I'm at 133k-ish now. I've done a few things, mostly mounts and bushings. Other then that, its been real good to me. I wouldn't hesistate to pick up another higher mileage one as long as the test drive and visual inspection all seemed OK.

ONEBADCADDIE
02-15-13, 03:33 AM
Paid $13.5 for mine with 97k on it about 5 months back..I felt the same hesitation but as long as you plan on keeping the car for a while and are prepared to fix a few little 100k mile issues then go for it. Only problem I ran into was a new water pump and the tranny will need replacing in the future. Slight grind every now and the.

thebigjimsho
02-15-13, 10:36 AM
A friend of mine is picking up one with 110k miles for under $10g. It's not a peach, by any means, but for that price it doesn't have to be...

Spitfire007
02-15-13, 10:51 AM
You guys seem really confident. That's impressive.

I come from the world of BMW where, after 100k, things start going, such as HVAC controls/blower motors and resistors, seat motors....
just little nick-nack stuff that can nickel and dime you to death.
I'm not so worried about the motor type stuff, as I am about window motors and latches and control arms and calipers and radiators and things that end up costing a TON of money over 3-5 years...

the Trans, the Rear end, shocks, that stuff is a known quantity to me.
I just don't want to repeat the experience I had with my 1998 740 iL....an AMAZING car, but one which made me poor.
The V is nowhere NEAR the same interior quality of the old BMW, but it's also a LOT simpler....something I think may help me sleep better at night...

JD03Cobra
02-15-13, 11:01 AM
I'm about to turn 100k in the next week or so and the car feels no different when it had 20k. I wouldn't hesitate a bit after a good inspection. It's clear this motor will run a long way when maintained.

jbrumsey
02-15-13, 11:28 AM
I just picked up my first V last month. It's an '05 with 122k miles for $11,5. Maintenance records looked good and other than a few little minor issues (leaky axle seals, worn shifter bushings) it's in great shape. I'd say as long as you do your homework on the car it shouldn't be a problem.

Manseeno
02-15-13, 03:33 PM
I would....I bought my '04 V with 91.5k miles on it about 10 months ago for $13,500; at that time it mainly needed new tie-rod ends, 4-wheel alignment and the front lower air deflector & shield were missing. It also had a couple of minor dings that you can only see if you're looking for them. I drive it daily and have about 96k miles now & love every minute behind the wheel :-)

carlson_mn
02-15-13, 08:53 PM
I'm at 96k on my 06, only thing it might need in the future is front struts, maybe, and those are only $100 each. I dug into the archives on this site for a long time before I bought mine (at 90k miles) and it seems like a pretty reliable car. The T-56 tranny is pretty solid so I wouldn't even think about a need to replace it unless there was abuse or consistent lugging on it. My shifter is in great shape and everything is pretty smooth.

I figure worse case scenario if things age over time would be a driveshaft for $1000, motor mounts for about $200 plus install. As far as drivetrain a fair number of people report the dual mass flywheel can cause vibrations, but that's less than a thousand installed as well. Mine is smooth as glass still. Previous owner had to replace the harmonic balancer (bottom pulley) because it started to squeek, that is somewhat common with higher mileage but I don't think it's expensive.

I would never own a BMW because of the reasons you mentioned. The common stuff in the car like a blower motor and window motors are probably right out of a chevy impala which GM makes way too many of to have to worry about fixing tens of thousands of them because of failures within warranty.

05txctsv
02-16-13, 09:00 AM
I just bought mine last Dec with 44k miles for $16k and i have already had to do the brakes and short shifter. Next will be the bushings and ill be good to go.

Prentice
02-17-13, 11:01 AM
I have a 140xxx miles on mine now and its running strong as ever. Vengeance Racing did a head and cam package at 128xxx miles along with some other goodies. Other than a new transmission and rearend this car has been fun and reliable.The diff was after the head and cam so I chalk that up to being my fault,lol. I can honestly say this has been one of the best cars ive owned and will buy a v2 in the future.

JDB
02-17-13, 12:41 PM
If the maintenance history is there, then yes. If not, it better be cheap due to the unknown. If someone says, "completely stock" then walk because the person didn't even bother to upgrade bushings, motor mounts, and loves that stupid 1-4 shift thing.

As others have said, it's no Audi BMW Benz type of repair prices, but there are a few big ticket items like the rear diff that can hurt the wallet.

Spitfire007
02-18-13, 09:58 AM
Well thanks a lot guys.

It's nice to know most people are supportive of the car and really think it'll last a long time.

carlson_mn
02-18-13, 11:01 AM
Other than a new transmission and rearend this car has been fun and reliable.The diff was after the head and cam so I chalk that up to being my fault,lol. I can honestly say this has been one of the best cars ive owned and will buy a v2 in the future.

Maybe it's just me but I'd be pretty dissapointed with any car that needed it's manual transmission replaced under 125k miles unless it was abused

D3l7a3ch0
02-18-13, 11:33 AM
I would not. Not an 04, anyway.

I've had mine for 20,000 miles, and some things need to be updated. trans, suspension... but it's been dependable in the meantime. I've had a chance to get to know the car. It complains about things gradually, and I can't ask for more than that.

However: I wouldn't want to see this car at 120,000 mi without those items replaced. and at that point, it would definitely need an engine overhaul (in my opinion).

100,000 miles was my target for an engine overhaul, and that will happen when I pull the trans (also for a rebuild). Everything is going to plan: my mechanical assessment of the car was accurate, the car's dependability has been respectable in the meantime, and my experience in having a used V is solid.

but I wouldn't attempt or expect the same experience with an '04 with 120,000 miles. having been a mechanic, and being able to do my own work is one of the main reasons I felt comfortable taking on the liability. but the 04 you're looking at--I would expect it to spend too much time in the garage from the get-go, and that's just hard on the soul

Heavybody
02-18-13, 01:58 PM
My 04 has 70,000 miles now 37 when I purchased it. I have replaced the motor and trans mounts, the original battery... I have concerns in the driveline but the motor is strong. The 5.3 in my 05 Sierra has 145,000 and still runs great. If the car is in good shape go for it!

Mn800r
02-18-13, 03:40 PM
Buy it!

Bill Rubeck
02-19-13, 12:14 AM
Buy it and get started! If you're into these cars, starting cost is very subjective. This is becoming a rare find...just get it and make it what YOU want it to be. You can't go wrong, in my opinion...it's a V1!

Spitfire007
02-19-13, 09:19 AM
Thanks. I just want a dependable but fast daily driver. At MOST, I'd maybe fix the crappy shifter and put on a cat-back. I'm not into modding that much.

carlson_mn
02-19-13, 11:09 AM
As a daily driver you should check out 6sp Maximas or Altimas with the 3.5L as well

Wingsfan4life
02-19-13, 01:04 PM
I bought mine with 103 on the clock14.5 immaculate condition..only replaced a couple things so far and no mods other than tint..awesome cars!!! Enjoy :)

Spitfire007
02-19-13, 01:39 PM
As a daily driver you should check out 6sp Maximas or Altimas with the 3.5L as well

Thanks, if I wanted an ugly soul-less car I'd go for it.
But I'm here on a V forum

----------

Thanks. I would go for one if I wanted an ugly soul-less car, no offense.
But I'm on a V forum...

Mn800r
02-19-13, 04:57 PM
^^^ right on brother!!!^^^ just no replacement for AMERICAN Cubic Displacement!! Friggin rights :lildevil:

No offense Carlson ... You are still brethren that had a weak moment is all, stay focused.

JD03Cobra
02-19-13, 05:05 PM

No no no...hell no!

tophat
02-19-13, 06:10 PM
Carlson_MN wait, what....lol dont be turning people to the dark side. The V is a great daily driver if thats what your looking at it for. Once I get the summer tires back on Carlson_MN and MN800r we need to get out for a ride, I know MN800r you have your car parked for the winter, nice weather coming hopefully real soon so we can actually drive and have some fun

Spitfire007
02-19-13, 06:12 PM
I'd drive in all seasons and weather. I'm not a winterizer. Car just rots when not driven.
I ride my Ducati all year round and have no problems, ever. Ask guys who park it over the winter and wonder why it doesn't run right once spring hits anymore.....

mackey
02-19-13, 06:50 PM
sometimes i wish i got a well kept/maintained v1 w higher mileage than with low mileage as ill be looking forward to shelling out for the known problems in the future.

carlson_mn
02-19-13, 07:10 PM
haha you guys are right he just didn't seem that passionate to me initially and I thought he just wanted a 6sp daily driver sedan with some decent power. My V will be on the road in -10 temps tomorrow morning so I am certainly an example of daily driving one!

D3l7a3ch0
02-19-13, 07:41 PM
Thanks. I just want a dependable but fast daily driver. At MOST, I'd maybe fix the crappy shifter and put on a cat-back. I'm not into modding that much.

that's the least you'll need to do for a 2004 with that many miles. you'll end up being into modding a lot

Mn800r
02-19-13, 08:29 PM
Carlson_MN wait, what....lol dont be turning people to the dark side. The V is a great daily driver if thats what your looking at it for. Once I get the summer tires back on Carlson_MN and MN800r we need to get out for a ride, I know MN800r you have your car parked for the winter, nice weather coming hopefully real soon so we can actually drive and have some fun

Yes yes...been thinking on a meet out here in the river valley mid spring..but that's another thread. Later