: Northstar V-8 Engine - Gasoline Issue

RealEstateGuy
02-14-13, 03:47 AM
I've had many Cadillacs and recently had a 2004 Cadillac Sedan DeVille with the Northstar V-8 engine. I sold it recently but the whole time I had it, I use regular unleaded gasoline and never had any problems with the engine or car whatsoever and owned it for about 2 years.

I'm writing about a question/issue that I'm trying to help my aunt with regarding her 2006 Buick Lucerne CXL that also has the Northstar V-8 engine. When she purchased it, it had 40,000 miles on it and the dealership never told her that she needed to use only premium unleaded gasoline. About the first 6 months she had it, she used regular unleaded when she developed an engine sputter. She took it to the dealership right away because it was under warranty and they told her that because she used regular unleaded gasoline, that it had damaged the fuel injectors and needed repair. The repair ran somewhere around $400-$500 and then they told her she had to use premium unleaded from there on out.

I'm wondering if anybody out there knows whether premium unleaded has to be used in all Northstar V-8 engines or if anyone uses regular unleaded in their Northstar engines? I never had a problem with my 2004 Cadillac Northstar using regular and was never told I needed to use premium. Premium unleaded around here is usually over $4 a gallon and so she tends to drive her other vehicle more and has even thought of trading it in when she can to get something that uses regular unleaded (she hasn't put many miles on this car at all).

Just was wondering if this is a common problem and if many of you have had this problem or if you use premium unleaded or regular unleaded in your Northstar engines.

Thanks for the feedback.

Submariner409
02-14-13, 09:51 AM
Different Northstar engines are specified for premium or regular. 2000 - 2004 was regular. I believe that 2005 began premium again.

The fuel requirement for that (or any) car is in the owner's manual, in the section under "Fueling".

Before 2000 the engines used premium. My 2002 uses regular and is very happy on it. As far as I know, 2005 and later engines went back to premium.

Google "chevron techron" and "top tier gasoline".

Use this to get to other GM owner's manuals.......... http://www.manualowl.com/Cadillac/Manuals

Ranger
02-16-13, 11:43 PM
According to Edmunds it still uses regular
http://www.edmunds.com/buick/lucerne/2006/features-specs.html?ps=used&style=100516979