: TPMS Sensor Matching - Relearn Tool Options ?

wagoetzmann
02-13-13, 08:26 AM
I have a 2012 SRX and would like to be able to "relearn" the sensors after rotating the tires myself. After reading the owners manual I found out I need a "relearn tool". Does anyone know the least expensive option for a "relearn" tool? (On my 2007 Corvette I just pass strong manget near the valve stem to activate the sensors and make the horn chirp.)

classiccars
02-13-13, 09:57 AM
The tool is: EL-50448

www.toolsource.com has them. They are also listed on eBay. More $

DTurmel
02-13-13, 08:53 PM
I recently bought new sensors on eBay for my winter wheels & tires and that tool EL-50448 as well....it worked well. I already complained on this forum about the fact that GM removed the capability to reprogram the sensors the old fashion way on all their new cars.....but after after seeing how much tire shops charge for reprogramming sensors, the tool is a nice investment.

wagoetzmann
02-14-13, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the reply!

Jaywhy
11-25-15, 05:30 PM
I just bought the same re-learn tool on Amazon.ca. My problem for the moment is to how to get the vehicle computer to be in the 'learn' mode to accept the re-learn tool data. The owner's manual is no help. JY
JY

ezed1
11-25-15, 07:43 PM
my dealer does them for free, for now that is, it may change, but when I went to a after market wheel the service rep got the tool him self and relearned them mind you my vehicle is still under warranty, but the old fashion way was really convenient!!

neco
11-26-15, 12:26 AM
I got this from amazon
http://www.amazon.com/ATEQ-VT5-One-Button-Trigger-Tool/dp/B0099SL2L0

It's the same one they sell on tirerack but cheaper. Works great!

----------

To get car into relearn mode...

http://preventativeautoservice.com/general-motors-tpms-tire-pressure-monitoring-system-relearn-procedure-11/

ngrigoriev
11-26-15, 10:23 PM
Got the same tool for something like $54. Works like charm with SRX 2014. For anyone in Montreal - I will be glad to help, the process takes 2 minutes and requires nothing but that device.

packardv8
11-27-15, 08:18 PM
Same but different, I have the relearn tool, just mounted the winter wheels/tires, did the drill, everything looked as it should. A couple of starts/stops on errand trip, the computer lost all four wheels and I had to make the honk-honk again. Any ideas about why it accepts then loses?

jack vines

neco
11-27-15, 08:21 PM
Never had it accept then lose before. Maybe it didn't accept the first time? I've always done it with the engine running... not sure if that would make a difference.

packardv8
11-29-15, 07:44 PM
Never had it accept then lose before. Maybe it didn't accept the first time? I've always done it with the engine running... not sure if that would make a difference.

Engine was running. When the coding is complete, the horn gives two final honks; then the display will show pressures.

jack vines

neco
11-29-15, 11:50 PM
Yeah, that's right. Maybe someone else who's ran into that can chime in.

njacobsen
11-30-15, 12:39 AM
The TPMS Sensor Matching Process is in the owners manual of my 2013 SRX on page 10-56. It uses the five-way DIC control on
the right side of the steering wheel to scroll to the tire pressure monitoring and then the "select" from that screen to start the procedure.

2011_SRX
11-30-15, 04:49 PM
Yeah, that's right. Maybe someone else who's ran into that can chime in.
Immediately after my dealer rotated the tires, as I was driving home one rear tire lost communication. When I arrived home I used my EL-50448 tool and reprogrammed all four again and the problem never returned. I have no explanation why.

ngrigoriev
12-01-15, 10:49 PM
Immediately after my dealer rotated the tires, as I was driving home one rear tire lost communication. When I arrived home I used my EL-50448 tool and reprogrammed all four again and the problem never returned. I have no explanation why.

I think this has only one possible explanation. The dealer has failed to reprogram the system. I am not 100% sure about SRX, but in many other cars the sensor failure (e.g. "lost communication") is not reported immediately. It is reported after certain number of consecutive failures, certain distance driven or certain period of time. I would be surprised if SRX is different. So, on your way back the system has realized that it can no longer hear the sensors.

2011_SRX
12-02-15, 01:07 AM
I think this has only one possible explanation. The dealer has failed to reprogram the system. I am not 100% sure about SRX, but in many other cars the sensor failure (e.g. "lost communication") is not reported immediately. It is reported after certain number of consecutive failures, certain distance driven or certain period of time. I would be surprised if SRX is different. So, on your way back the system has realized that it can no longer hear the sensors.

Any thoughts as to why three wheels reported correct air pressure and only one wheel displayed dash marks? The pressures on the three increased during the course of a 30 mile drive. Only one was not responding.

Also, I believe a failure of the dealer to reprogram would only result in the tires reporting pressures correctly but for the wrong position on the car. Until the reset is activated, moving a wheel position does not result in communication loss.

packardv8
12-02-15, 08:17 PM
First failure after reprogramming, it lost all four simultaneously. this time in its latest failure, it just lost the right rear. I relearned it again and it's holding thus far. I'm wondering if the batteries are getting low.

jack vines