: 12262 Service Update - Seat Memory Control Module Reprogram

njacobsen
02-13-13, 01:03 AM
Cadillac has decided to reprogram the seat memory control module for all 2013 SRX, ATS, and XTS vehicles because some customers have expressed dissatisfaction with the key fob automatic memory function. Personally, I was rather fond of the automatic update to the memory positions of the seat, mirrors, and pedals stored for my key fob each time I placed the ignition in the off position. Cadillac has decided that I now must manually update the stored positions by pressing the manual 1 or 2 memory positions alongside the drivers seat.

In my opinion, the customer user experience would have been better served by adding an additional selection to the Auto Memory Recall feature so the individual customer could select whether the updates are automatic, as was the case when we purchased our vehicles, or manual as Cadillac has decided we will like better. That is the advantage of software driven features. A few lines of code would have made the change better received by all customers.

While my vehicle was being serviced and this update applied, I sat in the customer lounge using the dealers free internet, eating one of the free cookies, and a cup of complimentary Starbucks coffee searcing frantically for details on the 12262 recall that was being performed. I found only one post on another forum that erroneously stated the upgrade disabled the key fob automatic memory recall. I immediately went to the service advisor to ask them about the program change and it had already been applied but they did not have details on what it did.

As a courtesy to other owners who browse this forum, I have attached the Service Update document and the Owners Manual Insert accompanying the procedure.

vi2k13
02-13-13, 09:58 AM
njacobsen, thanks much for the update,!

I don't have the SRX yet, but have been reading about this topic here as well as in the owner's manual. I am used to the old fashion memory recall so this update kind of will help. I do agree though, Cadillac should have given both options.

However, I did not find any thing new in Owner's Manual insert and the original version here: 2013 Cadillac SRX Owner Manual (http://www.cadillac.com/content/dam/Cadillac/Global/master/nscwebsite/en/home/Owners/Manuals_and_Videos/03_pdf/2013-srx-owner-manual-2k.pdf) Did I miss anything?

caddyshac
02-13-13, 10:05 PM
I hate that I need to press the memory button each time I use the car. I just got my 2013 SRX, and understood from owners manual that each key fob remembers the seat and mirror position. But it does not work for me and I have done no updates. Got the SRX on Jan 30,2013.

njacobsen
02-13-13, 10:36 PM
vi2k13, you did not miss anything. Cadillac has changed the on-line owners manual to be consistent with the Service Update.

My owners manual beginning on page 3-7 has additional sections for "Storing RKE Memory Positions" and "Recalling RKE Memory Positions (Auto Memory Recall)".

Prior to this change, there were actually 4 stored memory positions, the 1 and 2 buttons on the side of the seat and another for each of the key fobs.

Storing RKE Memory Postitions: Every time the ignition is placed in OFF, the positions of the driver seat, outside mirrors, and adjustable pedals, if available, are automatically stored to the RKE transmitter used to start the vehicle. These positions are called RKE Memory positions and may be different than the previously mentioned Button Memory positions saved to the "1" or "2" buttons.

Recalling RKE Memory Positions (Auto Memory Recall): The Auto (Automatic) Memory Recall feature automatically recalls the previously stored RKE Memory positions for the current driver when entering the vehicle.

The RKE Memory Positions were fully automated as can be seen by the descriptions I copied from my owners manual. If when driving, the drivers seat, mirrors, or pedals were adjusted, those settings were stored when turning the vehicle off and recalled the next time that driver unlocked the vehicle regardless of the "1" or "2" settings. Now, the recalled settings are those stored as "1" or "2" and those must be manually updated if positions are adjusted by using M+1 or M+2. If positions are adjusted while driving and "1" or "2" are not manually updated, the next auto recall will be those retained in "1" or "2".

The operation is different enough that I feel Cadillac should have incorporated the choice between RKE Memory and recall of M1/M2 into this Service Update. It is only software and should not have involved a lot of development considering the complexities included in CUE.

----------

Caddyshac...The Service Update document I posted is dated Jan 15, 2013. The instructions to the dealers as noted on that document is to apply the update to vehicles in dealer inventory and customer vehicles that return to the dealership for any reason. Your SRX was undoubtedly updated before it was delivered to you and it had the old version of the owners manual without the insert.

vi2k13
02-14-13, 12:02 AM
vi2k13, you did not miss anything. Cadillac has changed the on-line owners manual to be consistent with the Service Update.

Now, the recalled settings are those stored as "1" or "2" and those must be manually updated if positions are adjusted by using M+1 or M+2. If positions are adjusted while driving and "1" or "2" are not manually updated, the next auto recall will be those retained in "1" or "2".

Thanks again for the clarification, njacobsen.

So with the updated system how do you associate position "1" to one RKE and position "2" to the other? Or do these fobs have some kind of "hard-coding" to identify themselves as "1" and "2"?

caddyshac
02-14-13, 03:34 AM
Thanks for info. On my SRX, whichever key fob I use, the seat and mirrors go automatically to memory one. Is my me memory module defective?

warnercc
02-14-13, 11:17 AM
We took delivery on Feb. 2nd and ours works as if the update has not been applied. I too am curious as to how the auto recall will be tagged to each fob/memory position after the update. From what I read in the posted information above, it sounded like it would be automatic but the new instructions are more vague than the original instructions were. If it is a matter of picking a memory location to store your settings and then it remembers the fob that you use, fine. But I can tell you that some people will not be consistent on the memory location that they pick and will end up over-writing the opposite fobs settings. In my way of thinking, the old system was superior than the new "semi-automatic" system and the choice should have been given to the users of the vehicles.

Cadillac Cust Svc
02-14-13, 03:03 PM
Njacobsen, thank you for kicking off this thread! I'm sorry to hear about everyone's reprogram frustrations, and I wanted to hop on this thread quickly to let you all know I'm documenting your comments and feedback where the appropriate GM teams can view them. If you would like me to document additional comments, schedule dealer appointments for you, etc., then don't hesitate to email me anytime. (I'm reachable at Katie_Lucille_Lucille@gmexpert.com.)

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

vi2k13
02-14-13, 07:43 PM
Njacobsen, thank you for kicking off this thread! I'm sorry to hear about everyone's reprogram frustrations, and I wanted to hop on this thread quickly to let you all know I'm documenting your comments and feedback where the appropriate GM teams can view them. If you would like me to document additional comments, schedule dealer appointments for you, etc., then don't hesitate to email me anytime. (I'm reachable at Katie_Lucille_Lucille@gmexpert.com.)

Best,

Katie

Katie, thanks for jumping on this thread.:thumbsup:

Is it possible for you to confirm with someone from the GM Engineering team as to how exactly the updated system works and how to program the two key fobs to corresponding memory positions? The Owner's Manual is vague at best. In comparison, my Buick's manual has much clearer description and instructions.

carbeck
02-15-13, 09:52 AM
Katie,

Is there any chance that Cadillac could offer this update to 2010-2012 SRXs as well? The existing setup is well, awkward, at times, for me, since my memory seat position is as far back as the seat goes. If I move the seat forward for someone to sit behind me, the seat then seems to think I always want it moved forward. Sometimes I end up moving the seat back and cycling the ignition in order to get it to stop, which then means the car does the triple-honk when I close the driver's door again. ;)

Cadillac Cust Svc
02-15-13, 10:12 AM
Katie, thanks for jumping on this thread.:thumbsup:

Is it possible for you to confirm with someone from the GM Engineering team as to how exactly the updated system works and how to program the two key fobs to corresponding memory positions? The Owner's Manual is vague at best. In comparison, my Buick's manual has much clearer description and instructions.

...Katie, Is there any chance that Cadillac could offer this update to 2010-2012 SRXs as well?...

I unfortunately can't guarantee any answers, vi2k13 and carbeck, but I'm happy to check my more technical resources for you!

My department has limited resources for customers living outside of the United States, and I'm required to check my technical resources using the last eight of a VIN. So, if any customers residing in the United States would care to email me the last eight of their VIN (Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com), then I can begin investigating further!

Best,

Katie