: 2004 driveshaftless

safchin
02-13-13, 12:27 AM
what happins if u disconnect the front shaft on a awd ext? i know on a 4wd no big deal

the cadillac man
02-13-13, 01:37 AM
what happins if u disconnect the front shaft on a awd ext? i know on a 4wd no big deal

That is a big no go on all wheel drive for two reasons
1 no park
2 the transfer case wouldn't last long due to one output shaft not loaded

Trust me the last you want your truck to do is roll away uncontrolled

mikedyk43
02-13-13, 03:31 AM

If you are referring to the front half shafts, these actually hold the front bearings together on an AWD and removing them and attempting to drive would quickly result in the loss of your front wheels when the bearings separate. If you are referring to the shaft front the ttransfer case to the front differential then mechanically it should function, however all of the internals of the front differential would still be turning since they are connected to the front wheels. The real question is what would be the benefit of disconnecting the front shaft?

safchin
02-13-13, 04:24 PM
to save the front diff for a little while,until i can build up my funds. i figure a lot less touque on it, less hum. when i take foot off gas,no noise

the cadillac man
02-13-13, 04:46 PM
to save the front diff for a little while,until i can build up my funds. i figure a lot less touque on it, less hum. when i take foot off gas,no noise

Check the tranny fluid mine made a whine that went away when I let off the pedal and it was cause the fluid was low
Here is how to tell get the truck up to speed(when it makes the whine) and put the tranny in neutral if the whine goes away then its the tranny if the whine stays then its then front diff(its really easy to confuse whining noises

Also it can be the belt tensioners the way to tell is with the truck in park rev the engine slowly till you can hear a whine(mine do at 1500 rpms)

The ac bearing can make a whine that either is consistent or comes and goes how to tell is while driving turn the ac off(the snowflake button disables the ac when the snowflake with a line through it is lit)

Right now I think I have a ac compressor bearing going out as it moans like crazy when the ac is on

I know this can be a bit confusing but I've had this happen to me and the whine went away when I replaced the tensioners along with adding some fluid in the tranny

safchin
02-13-13, 05:40 PM
do u use dex 3 or 6 cause i'm gonna change it anyway. i just changed the front with lucas 75-90syn

----------

ps.check my pass. leaky problem on next tread thanks

the cadillac man
02-13-13, 06:21 PM
do u use dex 3 or 6 cause i'm gonna change it anyway. i just changed the front with lucas 75-90syn

----------

ps.check my pass. leaky problem on next tread thanks

Dex 3 is what gm calls for unless they changed(they love to do that)

wake
02-15-13, 12:14 PM
That is a big no go on all wheel drive for two reasons
1 no park
2 the transfer case wouldn't last long due to one output shaft not loaded

Trust me the last you want your truck to do is roll away uncontrolled

Not that I plan on doing that but why would you have no park? Is it that the transfer case would let the torque from the wheels wanting to turn end up going through the disconnected front driveshaft?

the cadillac man
02-15-13, 12:26 PM
Not that I plan on doing that but why would you have no park? Is it that the transfer case would let the torque from the wheels wanting to turn end up going through the disconnected front driveshaft?

Yes you are correct as the transfer case will let the rear axle freewheel (even with the transmission in park)

wake
02-15-13, 12:48 PM
Dex 3 is what gm calls for unless they changed(they love to do that)

From what I remember reading Dex VI is compatible with Dex III requirements in the transmission, however I don't believe it met the spec for transfer cases in our vehicles. Should be able to find the GM release for this, I think it was on a GM board, gminsidenews maybe. Plenty of info on the web out there about Dex VI use in older applications.

GM stopped licensing Dex III several years ago, so I believe it's hard to find and that lube manufacturers are selling something as, 'Dex III compatible' now.

the cadillac man
02-15-13, 02:22 PM
From what I remember reading Dex VI is compatible with Dex III requirements in the transmission, however I don't believe it met the spec for transfer cases in our vehicles. Should be able to find the GM release for this, I think it was on a GM board, gminsidenews maybe. Plenty of info on the web out there about Dex VI use in older applications.

GM stopped licensing Dex III several years ago, so I believe it's hard to find and that lube manufacturers are selling something as, 'Dex III compatible' now.

Your correct they did change but I seen somewhere(not sure where) online that you can use manual transmission fluid again I am not 100% sure

RippyPartsDept
02-15-13, 03:03 PM
DexronVI supercedes DexronIII

VI can be used in all cases where III would be used
except for manual transmissions - GM still sells some III for pre-2006 manual transmissions

----------

GM had originally planned for VI to take over all uses of III but after discontinuing III found out that some manual transmissions didn't like the synthetic fluid so they brought back the III for those specific cases

the cadillac man
02-15-13, 04:21 PM
DexronVI supercedes DexronIII

VI can be used in all cases where III would be used
except for manual transmissions - GM still sells some III for pre-2006 manual transmissions

----------

GM had originally planned for VI to take over all uses of III but after discontinuing III found out that some manual transmissions didn't like the synthetic fluid so they brought back the III for those specific cases

I thought I was right thanks for clearing that up though

RippyPartsDept
02-15-13, 04:42 PM
no problem

2006 was the dividing year when everything switched over to DexronVI

YoshiMan
02-16-13, 11:42 AM
disconnecting one of the driveshafts on any AWD transfercase is not a good idea. Since these have a center differential, it would be equivelent to attempting to drive off in a RWD vehicle with one wheel jacked off of the ground. while i am not totally familiar with the Tcase used on these i can bet that you will either have no drive whatsoever, or just a very limited amount of it

the cadillac man
02-16-13, 01:34 PM
disconnecting one of the driveshafts on any AWD transfercase is not a good idea. Since these have a center differential, it would be equivelent to attempting to drive off in a RWD vehicle with one wheel jacked off of the ground. while i am not totally familiar with the Tcase used on these i can bet that you will either have no drive whatsoever, or just a very limited amount of it

You are right the truck won't be drivable

mikedyk43
02-16-13, 01:42 PM
You are right the truck won't be drivable

I'm not sure it would be undrivable, but I do think it would have a very negative effect on the transfer case. Since it is designed to have drive shafts coming out of both ends, having one removed would put an awkward pressure on the Tcase bearings and surely cause premature bearing failure. So I believe that removing the shaft to save the front differential would be at the cost of your transfer case...not a good idea if you asked me

the cadillac man
02-16-13, 01:56 PM
I'm not sure it would be undrivable, but I do think it would have a very negative effect on the transfer case. Since it is designed to have drive shafts coming out of both ends, having one removed would put an awkward pressure on the Tcase bearings and surely cause premature bearing failure. So I believe that removing the shaft to save the front differential would be at the cost of your transfer case...not a good idea if you asked me

I said that wrong as he was talking about a rear wheel drive oops but it does like you said have negative effects on the transfer case and is not a good idea to drive like that