: 4th Radiator replacment in 3 months, Am I missing something?

ctsvblaine
02-12-13, 10:02 PM
I replaced my first radiator at 97k miles because it sprung a leak. The only available radiator that wasnt 4 days away was a performance radiator so I got it. Well this radiator lasted me 2 months. Where the plastic meets the aluminum on the bottom started leaking. So I I raised hell at discount auto parts and they refunded my money. I ended up ordering a Delco stock radiator through GMPartsOnline.net thinking there's no way Ill do an aftermarket one again. Well this radiator hasnt been in 3 weeks now and is leaking in the same area! Gmpartsonline.not wont refund my money or replace it so I'm back to the drawing board. I am so over this changing this radiator out and spending money on it. I called a place today and they said they can fix it by changing the bottom gasket where the plastic meets the aluminum. Has anyone heard anything about this method or have any ideas? I am dumb founded right now why a radiator cant last for crap and so aggravated! Ideas or suggestions please....

darkman
02-12-13, 10:25 PM
You are not the first CTS-V owner to go through multiple OEM radiators, although most longer than what you describe. I would get an Alradco radiator and be done with it. http://alradco.com/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=14&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=54&vmcchk=1&Itemid=54

HAMSTAR
02-12-13, 10:25 PM
How are your motor mounts? If they're shot, a floating motor could yank at the rad and wreck it.

Beyond that, looks like you need to go alradco

izcain
02-12-13, 11:04 PM
I would make sure your not creating too much pressure in the system either.

alradco
02-13-13, 12:02 PM
You are not the first CTS-V owner to go through multiple OEM radiators, although most longer than what you describe. I would get an Alradco radiator and be done with it. http://alradco.com/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=14&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=54&vmcchk=1&Itemid=54

Thanks darkman. :)

ctsvblaine, you're not the only one that's been through this. On a regular basis we get calls from people who have replaced their radiator 2 or more times. One was on his 5th radiator. Talk about ridiculous that they would build parts like that for a high performance car like a V.

BTW, we're having a sale right now. Radiators are in stock. Thanks.

Peter

ctsvblaine
02-14-13, 03:10 PM
I had a local radiator shop fix my 3 week old radiator this morning. I just installed it back in and no leaks. They were very nice people and actually did it for free. It amazes me when I find out there are still nice people out there! I noticed that the rubber oring on the reservoir cap was flattened so I replaced it with a new cap. I dont know if that would cause too much pressure in the system and blow the bottom off the radiator or not? The radiator shop said that it looks like the bottom was blown off from too much pressure? What would cause too much pressure? Thank you everyone for the information! If this radiator goes out again I will surely be purchasing the all aluminum from Alradco!

alradco
02-14-13, 04:13 PM
At least you have A LOT of experience pulling the radiator :D Nice to hear to you got helped out.

ctsvblaine
02-14-13, 07:16 PM
At least you have A LOT of experience pulling the radiator :D Nice to hear to you got helped out.

Yeah I have it down to pulling that bad boy out in 10 mins and reinstalling it in about 25!

DarkCharisma
02-15-13, 12:06 AM
You're missing an Alradco, that's what you're missing. :o