: Horn info and replacement help

Romeh
02-12-13, 08:24 PM
My ext looks mean but its horn isnt up to par. The normal horn controlled from the steering wheel sounds okay but when i lock my truck and it honks it sounds so wimpy. Im pretty sure most cars have two horns and can have the pitch adjusted. Could someone tell me which horn is for locking and how to adjust them? Also i have another little question. Ever since i took my ext through a huge puddle the lock horn sounds higher. Can horns get water damaged?

the cadillac man
02-12-13, 08:43 PM
My ext looks mean but its horn isnt up to par. The normal horn controlled from the steering wheel sounds okay but when i lock my truck and it honks it sounds so wimpy. Im pretty sure most cars have two horns and can have the pitch adjusted. Could someone tell me which horn is for locking and how to adjust them? Also i have another little question. Ever since i took my ext through a huge puddle the lock horn sounds higher. Can horns get water damaged?

Yes the horns can get water damaged(it can also blow a fuse)
I put a set of air horns on my truck as I found the stock horns weak
I tapped off the feed for the passenger side horn
Also I had to upgrade the horn fuse as the compressor blew the stock 15 amp(I put in a 20 amp)
I installed the trumpets behind the front bumper
And they nice and loud(like a Cadillac horn should be)

90limited
02-12-13, 09:54 PM
Depending on the gauge of the wiring, putting in a larger fuse could be a real bad idea (aka melted wires). You should use a 30 amp relay to power the compressor and use the orginal horn circuit to power the relay.

the cadillac man
02-12-13, 10:15 PM
Depending on the gauge of the wiring, putting in a larger fuse could be a real bad idea (aka melted wires). You should use a 30 amp relay to power the compressor and use the orginal horn circuit to power the relay.

I only put a 20 amp fuse and given the gauge of the wiring it won't harm it(I have had mine like this with no problems) I even asked my uncle who worked at gm and he said a 5amp over the normal fuse rating won't harm the wiring(eg 20 in a 15)
it's mainly to prevent the surge draw from the compressor kicking on from blowing the fuse the factory relay is before the fuse on the horn