: Fun with air bags

turbojimmy
01-01-05, 06:50 PM
So I have a truckload of junk Caddy parts. All stuff from a wrecked 2000 DTS that I'm not using. Among the junk is a pair of rear side airbags. I know the junkyard won't take them if they're not deployed, but I figured I'd sneak them in with the rest of the stuff.

But then I got bored......

I was over my parents' house for New Years dinner and my brother and I decided to see what would happen if we put 12 volts across those bad boys. We're a little bit smarter than we look so we ran out about 8 feet of wire to the bag, popped the hood on the T-Type. I put the bag out in the yard and looked at it. I said to my brother "what if it launches". He laughed and said "dude - these things blow in your face - how could it launch". I shrugged and put the wires to the battery.

BLAM!

I know it went straight up, but I lost sight of it in the sun and ran. My brother, trapped by his own car simply covered his head. I saw it coming down close to him but it missed.

After laughing ourselves to tears, we decided to pop the other one. This time we rolled video. Since we knew it would launch itself we kept a safer distance. The second one got caught in a neighbor's tree, but I was able to dislodge it after fetching a ladder and poking at it with a big stick.

I have video, but it's 11MB big and I don't know where to host it. Any ideas?

Jim

Msilva954
01-01-05, 07:04 PM
yousendit.com

HURRY HURRY....i wanna see so bad!!!!

turbojimmy
01-01-05, 07:08 PM
Looks like that site is for sending big e-mails. I need your e-mail address if you want the file. Shoot it to me - my address is in my public profile.

Jim

crockone
01-01-05, 07:28 PM
a local body shop would of easy paid 500 for each of those.

DaveSmed
01-01-05, 07:35 PM
Sure about that? Many states have strict laws regarding air bag replacement. Notice you never hear of 3rd party airbag manufacturers, because they must be a validated OEM replacement or something along those lines. Some areas have strict laws regarding the serial numbers, in order to discourage airbag theft. With as much as a PITA it is.... a cool fireworks show is much easier and fun.

Msilva954
01-01-05, 07:41 PM
Looks like that site is for sending big e-mails. I need your e-mail address if you want the file. Shoot it to me - my address is in my public profile.

Jim
no no....enter any invalid email address......it will give you a link for 10 views.... just enter something like jfkdjfkldj@jkdjf.com

turbojimmy
01-01-05, 07:44 PM
no no....enter any invalid email address......it will give you a link for 10 views.... just enter something like jfkdjfkldj@jkdjf.com

Okay - stand by. It's uploading.

Jim

majax
01-01-05, 07:50 PM
http://s20.yousendit.com/download.aspx here is the link to his video!

THANKS DUDE! :D its downloadin

turbojimmy
01-01-05, 07:50 PM
Here's one of the links. Never used it before so I don't know if it'll work:
http://s20.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=33UB7ZEBOBZ8X3ERFG1B59TVHQ

Should be good for a few downloads. Got another one uploading now.

Jim

turbojimmy
01-01-05, 07:54 PM
Sure about that? Many states have strict laws regarding air bag replacement. Notice you never hear of 3rd party airbag manufacturers, because they must be a validated OEM replacement or something along those lines. Some areas have strict laws regarding the serial numbers, in order to discourage airbag theft. With as much as a PITA it is.... a cool fireworks show is much easier and fun.

It is indeed illegal to sell used air bags. I could've sold them on the "black market" but blowing them up in my dad's yard is easier than potentially spending time in jail.

BTW, my brother is the camera man laughing like Butthead from Beavis and Butthead. I'm the guy holding the wires.

Jim

majax
01-01-05, 07:55 PM
oops I put the wrong adress down :banghead:

you need quicktime for it.

turbojimmy
01-01-05, 07:56 PM
Yep - it's a quicktime video - should've mentioned that. It's all I've got to edit video at the moment.

Jim

Msilva954
01-01-05, 07:59 PM
Thats AWSOME....nice job....

majax
01-01-05, 08:18 PM
pretty funny :D nice black Deville

turbojimmy
01-01-05, 08:41 PM
pretty funny :D nice black Deville

That Deville is my mom's. It's the test bed/guniea pig for my '01 DTS. If I need to trouble shoot my car I grab stuff off of it. Hers is an '02. It's actually dark metallic blue but looks black in the video.

I have 2 other extra air bags - but they are the ones that go in the front seats. They are standard on all Devilles (and thus might be worth something if I were to shop them around). The rear side bags that we blew up are a pretty rare option. These "extra" bags are the flood ones so technically they aren't any good. You can't tell by looking at them, but I'm sure they've got mud in them. I might blow them up in a sequel.

Jim

majax
01-01-05, 09:02 PM
Blow them up :D :bouncy:

and then go get some new ones, my STS has those front side bags.

turbojimmy
01-01-05, 09:23 PM
Blow them up :D :bouncy:

and then go get some new ones, my STS has those front side bags.

I'll probably blow them up. I don't like having them laying around, and after seeing them blow I don't want to dispose of them undeployed.

We'll probably get more creative with the next pair we blow......

Jim

evilrussian
01-01-05, 09:26 PM
:histeric: This is great! This one is definetly an "Ebaums" material. Can't wait for a sequel, but you gotta get a little creative now, cover it with an old oil pan or something :sneaky:

crockone
01-01-05, 09:26 PM

well over here they are wanted espeially hard to find cars.

Stoneage_Caddy
01-01-05, 11:25 PM
we did a few early Chrysler bags int he military , we estimated one to run 55 feet stirght up ....since it cleared our 2 story shop with ease ...good times

slk230mb
01-01-05, 11:52 PM
That was awesome, do more!!!!

turbojimmy
01-02-05, 07:27 AM
That was awesome, do more!!!!

I think I'll do the side ones eventually - I have little choice actually since I can't dispose of them otherwise. But I want to wait until it snows again and then perhaps blow the head off of a snowman. Or maybe, just maybe.....where's that good-for-nothin' cat of ours....(kidding, of course)?

Jim

Night Wolf
01-02-05, 12:05 PM
link didn't work for me :(

wrap them in duct tape then blow them :) lotta things to do to get creative

DaveSmed
01-02-05, 01:31 PM
I think I'll do the side ones eventually - I have little choice actually since I can't dispose of them otherwise. But I want to wait until it snows again and then perhaps blow the head off of a snowman. Or maybe, just maybe.....where's that good-for-nothin' cat of ours....(kidding, of course)?

Jim

I was thinking under a couch cushion would be interesting.... :lildevil:

RBraczyk
01-02-05, 02:13 PM
Under the hood of a junkyard car :)

evilrussian
01-02-05, 02:28 PM
Neighbor's mailbox?

Msilva954
01-02-05, 05:14 PM
Strap the neighbors cat to it?

onbagz2002
01-02-05, 05:29 PM
Damnit i can't see the vidddddddddddddddddddd :crying:
Someone email it to me onbagz2002@gmail.com

slk230mb
01-02-05, 05:47 PM
Damnit i can't see the vidddddddddddddddddddd :crying:
Someone email it to me onbagz2002@gmail.com

Sent.

majax
01-02-05, 05:49 PM
I AM SENDING IT TO HIM CRAP! :histeric:

onbagz2002
01-02-05, 06:44 PM
Thanks guys.. :thumbsup:

davesdeville
01-02-05, 08:44 PM
I wanna see! My email's in my profile if someone willl send it.

turbojimmy
10-19-05, 08:59 PM
Resurrection of an old post because I posted the video on Google. Not the most creative deployment, but you get to hear my brother laugh like Butthead from Beavis and Butthead:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1203896945434916059&q=airbag

We use my brother's T-Type battery to deploy a passenger side air bag. I still have a couple laying around. Maybe I'll deploy them before it gets too cold.

Jim

Stoneage_Caddy
10-19-05, 09:11 PM
i forgot how good it was to do that ...i need to find what they do witht he bags at work .....i miss doing that sooooooo much

terrible one
10-19-05, 09:36 PM
Too cool!

Spyder
10-20-05, 12:07 AM
put it under water, maybe...?

turbojimmy
10-20-05, 07:04 AM
put it under water, maybe...?

Either that or bury it. It would be cool to rig up a land mine kind of thing where an unsuspecting person would trigger it. Naturally I wouldn't have it blow up underneath them. I'd have it close enough to get a reaction but far enough away to be safe.

Maybe I'll put it in a pile of leaves - there will be plenty of those around soon.

Jim