: Freshening up the 472 - Need Some Help

CaddyNamedBVev
02-11-13, 11:25 AM
Hey Guys, this is my first post on this forum, looks like a great resource with lots of folks that have some good Caddy knowledge.

My Dad purchased a 1970 DeVille Convertible about a year ago, it's been a great car but she's got some pretty bad leaks around the oil pan gasket and the the water pump gasket. And the timing chain is pretty stretched and probably just on the edge of letting go, and timing her has been a nightmere so, we've decided to pull the motor and fix things up and clean everything.

We pulled the 472 this past weekend and have now got it on a stand in the garage, good thing we pulled it because two of the freeze plugs were also just about to let go, they were both showing signs of leaking so we lightly tapped them with a screwdriver and it went right through! So we'll be replacing those too.

My frist question for you guys is how do you pull the external balancer? It seems like we need a 4 point puller with a square pattern but we cannot seem to find the "right" puller at any of our local parts stores, is there a certain manufactorer anybody can recommend or do most guys make their own pullers? We need to remove the external ballancer to get to the timing chain but we're in need of some advice, can anybody help?

Thanks,
Nick

FoxRodder
02-11-13, 04:49 PM
I don't have the answers but there is another forum called cadillac power that mainly deals with the 472 and 500 engines which should be chock full of stuff like that

Dirtywaterdiver
02-12-13, 07:57 PM
Contact Marty at MTS, website 500cid

Got everything you need.

CaddyGas
02-13-13, 10:52 PM
You are talking about the main crankshaft pulley right. There is a cork plug in the middle of the pulley that needs to taking out so the harmonic can be pressed on.

CaddyNamedBVev
04-02-13, 04:09 PM
Guys, thanks for the info here. Sorry it's been some time since I've been on here, I'll try 500cid, thanks for the recommendation.