: Drivers side under dash squeak

AtlantaGuy00
02-11-13, 02:25 AM
I know squeaks are painfully hard to determine and fix, but I have one starting on my 2007 DTS that is painfully similar to one I had on a 98 DeVille. Under the dash on the drivers side a faint, very tinny sounding loose squeak has begun. You only hear it (now) when the car shifts out of first because of that torky jolt ( which is also odd it's not smooth). Before I take it to the dealer and they won't hear it, have any of y'all heard something like that? I wouldn't be fussed by it if I wasn't afraid it will get worse and the warranty expires soon.

Superjim
02-11-13, 09:55 AM
Don't know about the squeak... but it SHOULD NOT JERK (hard shift) when it shifts from 1st to 2nd...
I would be getting THAT looked at while it is still under warranty.
Hard shifts usually mean something is not working right.

Eddie39
02-11-13, 10:17 AM
I have a similar sound and have not posted on here since it's so hard to explain. I call it a chirping sound like bearing noise. I mostly hear it when I'm start off in a right turn like coming out of a driveway. My dealer inspected the hubs and joints, all checked ok. Of course it would not act up for them to hear it. It doesn't do it all the times. If the car had a speedometer cable I would say it was making the noise.

AtlantaGuy00
02-11-13, 10:57 AM
Funny thing about the hard shifts is it's only from first to second. The others are smooth. When I first bought the car, the Service Writer volunteered a comment "torquie, isn't it?" so I assumed it was that way for all of them. It's been test driven many times even one for a 'shake down" by a Sr. Tech at the dealership who mentioned some other things but not the shifting. So, I assumed it was normal. Do ya'll shift smoothly from 1st to second? Mine shifts like an old Ford using Type-F trans fluid.

Eddie39
02-11-13, 11:32 AM
Funny thing about the hard shifts is it's only from first to second. The others are smooth. When I first bought the car, the Service Writer volunteered a comment "torquie, isn't it?" so I assumed it was that way for all of them. It's been test driven many times even one for a 'shake down" by a Sr. Tech at the dealership who mentioned some other things but not the shifting. So, I assumed it was normal. Do ya'll shift smoothly from 1st to second? Mine shifts like an old Ford using Type-F trans fluid.

My shifting is real smooth.

TulsaVic
02-11-13, 12:52 PM
Mine shifts relatively smooth if I'm using premium fuel, but definitely with a jerk with mid range or regular. Only evident during slow accels (probably why you don't experience it SuperJim.....ahem.....).

grullon10
02-11-13, 03:40 PM
Check is the noise is onley when the heater or the ac on I have the answer.

AtlantaGuy00
02-11-13, 03:56 PM
The noise is definately coming from inside the car. It began in Oct. with I was still using the A/C, and continues with the heat on. I'll try and capture a recording to post. It's so faint that only I notice it. Also, I've only used regualr fuel in the car since I've owned it. I wonder if I should switch to premium fuel? I'll give it a try for a few tanks. That's gonna take awhile becasuse I primarily drive the DTS now. I'm trying to shake out any warranty issues with the DTS before that expires, so I'm driving it more. (not to mention that heater noise in the ATS is aweful, check out the posts in that thread if you want to have the hair stand up on the back of your neck)

Superjim
02-11-13, 04:38 PM
I have never used regular or midrange fuel in mine except a few times, several years ago, testing how it ran and checking fuel mileage with regular vs Premium..
Since my mileage was about 10% less when using regular and Performance was also less... I went back to Premium and have used it ever since.
I know each car is different, but on MY car, it is actually a tiny bit cheaper to use Premium, because of the hit in mileage when using regular.

All that being said... my car shifts really smooth from 1st to 2nd under "NORMAL" driving.
If you weren't paying attention, you might not even notice it changing gears.

I do have some alternate programing in my transmission computer so that if you take off in any gear position other than "D"... it shifts much quicker and much SOLID.

Texas Jim

grullon10
02-11-13, 06:33 PM
It is actuator motor for the heater that is by the driver side

----------

Get under the dash on the driver side remove the cover there is a small black motor for the heater that move. That it is the what are hearing. You do not need to change now it will last a long time like that. when it go bad you would get the check engine that would give you a code for it. The part is cheap on ebay but the labor is not.

AtlantaGuy00
02-13-13, 11:42 AM
I'll check it out, thanks all!