: Electrical system gone haywire after engine repair

kadillac kid
02-10-13, 08:56 PM
Hello all, I am a proud owner of a 1997 eldorado etc with around 145k miles. Recently I Had the engine pulled to replace the heads and have the block studded which all went well. Now after picking the car up, when I turn on the ignition none of the bells ring nor do the dummy lights light up. After starting the guages don't work for about ten seconds then come on along with a bunch of messages such as theft system problem car may not restart, traction disabled stability reduced and a few others. Also the shift indicators flash, dome lights flash on and off, the heater comes on every time as if the battery was disconnected but it wasn't. The transmission takes off in second gear. None of this went on before the repair but the mechanic says he can find nothing wrong, said I may want to have the computer checked. Any ideas? Ground wire problem?

Submariner409
02-13-13, 04:53 PM
You hit it - engine to frame grounds, electrical connectors, etc. Stability system - strut electrical connectors dirty/disconnected. Traction disabled defaults the transmission to 2nd gear starts. To find all the grounds and connectors you'll need a GM shop manual. eBay, www.helminc.com (http://www.helminc.com), or www.alldatadiy.com
(http://www.alldatadiy.com)

pjseto168
02-14-13, 12:39 PM
I have the same problem. Is it the computer, can it be replaced and how much??? Please advise...

Submariner409
02-14-13, 12:53 PM
Hi !!! Welcome Aboard.

The PCM (Powertrain Control Module) in these cars is pretty tough. When you start to get codes, weird lights and rough running it's usually maintenance neglect or wiring problems. In the OP's case, the entire drivetrain was dropped out from under the car, and the possibilities for missing grounds, loose connectors, and poor ground terminal connections is great ..........

If your car is a 1995 or earlier it uses an ECM (Engine Control Module) - but neither the ECM or PCM is anywhere close to cheap, and I think that either module requires reflashing for the specific car by a GM dealership.