: A possible nail in the coffin for coupe fans?

Playdrv4me
01-01-05, 07:15 AM
Something else I dug up while messing around on the edmunds website tonight.

From Edmunds.com:
Automotive News reports that Chrysler will be axing nearly its entire two-door lineup by 2006. The publication quoted Trevor Creed, the company's senior vice president of design, saying that there is no market for two-doors, and that his company will phase both the Dodge Stratus coupe and Chrysler Sebring coupe out of production within the next two years. Both vehicles are produced at the Mitsubishi plant in Normal, Ill. Chrysler's contract with the struggling Japanese automaker to build at this facility expires next year. Even though the Sebring coupe is disappearing from Chrysler's vehicle lineup, the convertible version will likely remain in production, though, despite its having only two doors.

Thats pretty rough, I think that everyone is rushing to this "no market for two doors" strategy a little prematurely, but like all good things, Im sure there will be an eventual resurgence (not that the stratus or sebring are great vehicles)

davesdeville
01-01-05, 07:28 AM
I gotta say the Sebring looks a lot better in coupe form than convertable. Of course the exact opposite is true for the Crossfire.

Playdrv4me
01-01-05, 07:29 AM
Of course the exact opposite is true for the Crossfire.

ABSOLUTELY AGREED!

Jesda
01-01-05, 08:51 AM
I lost my love for the Sebring (lusted after them when I was a teenager back in 96) when they adopted that ugly-ass grille the size of Alaska. The Sebring is supposed to be low and sleek!

airbalancer
01-01-05, 09:24 AM
It is funny how a coup for the G6 is coming out and in hard top convertable which may make me give up the caddy.
That or get a Pontiac Solstice http://www.gmbuypower.com/vehicleHomePage.bp?null&model=Solstice&modelId=086&make=Pontiac&makeId=002&sellingSource=16 and keep the caddy to drive the grandkids around and as a winter car

evilrussian
01-01-05, 10:12 AM
It is funny how a coup for the G6 is coming out and in hard top convertable which may make me give up the caddy.
That or get a Pontiac Solstice http://www.gmbuypower.com/vehicleHomePage.bp?null&model=Solstice&modelId=086&make=Pontiac&makeId=002&sellingSource=16 and keep the caddy to drive the grandkids around and as a winter car
:eek: Is that a GMs version of a miata?

airbalancer
01-01-05, 10:32 AM
I beleive they are talking a spring release.
The big question at 6'1" 240 can I fit in?

Stoneage_Caddy
01-01-05, 11:43 AM
i think you will fit in a solstice, bob lutz i think told enginners he had to fit in it , and this guy aint no averge heght type guy ...Saturn will also get a version , chevy is still thinking about doing a version too....

the only reason coupes are dead is that they made too many lame ones , stratus , avenger and sebring never lived up to there styling .....if they gave them turbos and awd from the other dsm cars they might have had something because i liked everything else about them ...

Camaro and firebrid died because they werent near the bargain of the mustang ...and if you werent an enthusiast the f body didnt seem as nice , the seating position was far to low for the typical mid life crisis types

new t birds are overpriced , only the 89-97 t birds sold well for coupes in the last 10 years ...

lets face it the big three keep saying coupes are dead for the past 40 years , remeber when t bird became a 4 seater , then a 4 door ?

HotRodSaint
01-01-05, 11:51 AM
Chrysler also dropped the Neon coupe (and more importantly, the Viper coupe).

But I don't think it means that Ford will decide it can't sell a Mustang (even thought GM is paralyzed from it's head down on their pony car).

While I think the outgoing Chrysler products looked good, the replacement should have been a RWD Hemi powered coupe called a 'Cuda.

I personally would never buy a heavy FWD coupe. AWD maybe. But make it a Hemi RWD and show me where to sign!

That car would race out the door. As long as it had more HP and style, while competing with the Mustang on price. The cost of the bland looking GTO and rumored HP increase, have all but stopped it's sales this year.

I remember them calling the convertible dead once too. And soon after, they called the coupe dead. Nothing dies, Detroit just turns their back on it, because they'd rather sell more trucks (see ya Fleetwood!). But the Japanese keep making car's for niches that Detroit is all too happy to abondon.

Honda and Toyota have the best selling sedans in America, and they were redesigned 2 times before the recently replaced the third best seller the Taurus. And in Honda's case, their car was made for the US only.

Detroits problem is not the lack of demand for their body styles. It's lack of risk taking. Coupes are excitement and performance. If they lack either, they will lack sales. Coupes also need to be refreshened more often, as coupes are more fashion fickle.

Detroit is still more worried about cross-overs and SUV's. But we don't get a 2 door SUV from anyone but Jeep today.

majax
01-01-05, 12:15 PM
I agree with you HotRod :thumbsup:

Conversion vans are gone now to. I think one problem with coupes is that they have the highest insurance rate because you are more likely to die in one than any other car, trucks come after that.

Of course saying detroit has been gobbin out its money on trucks is not entirely right. When do we get a new Silverado :disappoin Detroits just cheep(were)

Sandy
01-01-05, 12:27 PM
Monte Carlo Supercharged SS Remains.....
Full-Sized and good looking, too. The last one standing ....

evilrussian
01-01-05, 12:43 PM
Next generation of performance coupes is something called Chevy Cobalt SS. Small, fuel efficient, quick, appeals to a younger crowd. About time they made something like that. I gotta admit I'd have a hard time picking beetween Focus SVT, SRT-4 and Cobalt, I like them all one way or another. I know, Ford and Dodge I mentioned are not coupes but they fit in the same category.

airbalancer
01-01-05, 01:16 PM
Monte Carlo Supercharged SS Remains.....
Full-Sized and good looking, too. The last one standing ....
I do not think I have like a Monte Carlo since the 70's
Remember the swivel seats it had , they would turn 90 degress aso you could get out easy

c5 rv
01-01-05, 03:17 PM
Coupes will be back. Remember, station wagons were supposedly dead. Now, new ones come out every year and are touted as something new. My dealer hates it when I call the SRX the CTS wagon.

Ralph
01-01-05, 03:45 PM
I do not think I have like a Monte Carlo since the 70's
Remember the swivel seats it had , they would turn 90 degress aso you could get out easy

My Aunts old 1975 Cutlas 2 door had the swivel bucket seats with reversable color pads.

I think the loss of production for 2 doors MIGHT have something to do with an aging population. The've probably done research and polls and found out that many older people don't like big heavy 2 door cars. That's just a theory though. Also the styling today with a 4 door car seems just as agressive and sporty as some 2 doors were imo, so they probably figured, "why not add 2 more doors and everyone has convienience."

I used to like the look of the Lincoln MK 8 coupe

I used to like the 2 door Grand Prix, then I think around 1990 or so they offered a 4 door version and that watered it down too much for me.

I see MANY Mustangs and new T-Birds out there so I believe there is a market for them. Now if only Ferrari would forget about making that 4 door model they would save their image. ;)

majax
01-01-05, 05:44 PM
We cannot forget, the Eldorado. That was my favorite Cadillac for a while, it is the perfect single persons car.

Ralph
01-01-05, 05:47 PM
We cannot forget, the Eldorado. That was my favorite Cadillac for a while, it is the perfect single persons car.

A friend of mine has a 1990 T-bird and he says he'll NEVER have a 4 door car because when he picks up the Grand kids, and they are strapped into the back seat, he says he never has to worry about then accidentally opening the door or having access to the power window and hurting themselves with it. He thinks it's more secure for kids than a 4 door.

He said the only other affordable choice for a new 2 door is the Monte Carlo.

I LOVE the last Eldos. They are so rare here and I only see one or two a year! There is an older guy who has a beautiful White Diamond Eldo and it was one of the last ones, mint!

majax
01-01-05, 06:01 PM
An Eldorado is what Sandy should have got for his last car. ;)jk

I remember our '87 pretty well and it was a nice car. Kinda small but sporty and I like small sporty luxury coupes like that. Has your friend heard of those annoying child security locks?

The Pontiac G6 will have a coupe form

Ralph
01-01-05, 06:07 PM
An Eldorado is what Sandy should have got for his last car. ;)jk

I remember our '87 pretty well and it was a nice car. Kinda small but sporty and I like small sporty luxury coupes like that. Has your friend heard of those annoying child security locks?

I'm not sure if the T-Bird has the security locks but my 1991 has them in the form of little switches inside the door jamb on the back doors. The power windows on that tbird move so fast they would probably take your fingers off! I wonder if newer cars have a sensor or something that would stop them from going up if there is an obstruction?

I like the interior choices for the 1991 Eldos. Seville that year was nice too. Seats today seem so plain and straight foreward. I like the rich look of my perforated holes and buttons. It's like a doctor's couch in the 1950's or something. :D

majax
01-01-05, 06:39 PM
Yeah your kinda right about seats.

In most new cars now days the switch is just so that if a kid is standing on it or something with their head out the window the window swtich rolls the widnow down. And I think that if you put resistance on the windows now they go back down or stop.

So basically you push to roll down and you pull the switch up to roll the window up.

Playdrv4me
01-01-05, 07:37 PM
Yeah your kinda right about seats.

In most new cars now days the switch is just so that if a kid is standing on it or something with their head out the window the window swtich rolls the widnow down. And I think that if you put resistance on the windows now they go back down or stop.

So basically you push to roll down and you pull the switch up to roll the window up.

Not to mention the push-pull switches are 10 times more attractive than those up-down switches, I was surprised that my 740 still had those old style rocker switches, they are so fugly.

Night Wolf
01-02-05, 11:58 AM
I remember typing a thing up about 2 door cars and stuff...

but I think it is a was is most convient.... people drive their cars alot more today... average is something like 17,000 miles/year.... that means alot of trips to the mall, grocery store etc... I think when people just look at it, they like the added 2 doors for those reasons... also little kids...

... but 2 doors are dead? Why is it that from, say 1950-1980 Any given Coupe DeVille is going for alot more money then a similar Sedan DeVille? the newer cars aren't old enough for people to really think about them yet....

When buying classic cars, people always want 2 door (or a convertible) maybe because the cars are specialty cars and not daily drivers... meaning hey wont be going to the mall, get food or pick up kids... maybe they look alot better.... or maybe... just maybe.... 2 doors aren't dead.

Also, when GM makes only a very small handful of 2 door cars, then not many people buy them because they don't appeal to them... they consider it something that is dead and try to shut down any remaining car... thats what they did witht he Grand Prix... my fathers '99 GTP looks real sharp in black.. and 2 door... now they only make a family-friendly 4 door.... I think the Monte Carlo is staying to give die-hard performance-Chevy guys something to go after but when it is restyled in a few years, I can see them killing that too....

Here it is.... after 44 years of being one of the best selling 2 door luxury cars.... the last year for the Coupe DeVille..... ever... 1993

Sandy
01-02-05, 03:45 PM
{MY TURN .... limps to podium}

Younger members cannot be blamed as they do not posess "memory" from before they were born, and therefore cannot be critiqued.

The "Personal Luxury Car" was originally (and always) a COUPE! They were FULL SIZE, Top of the line, luxurious interiored, Coupes with moderately powerful engines and bucket seats (or at least optional bucket seats). These were the most popular COUPES.
Cadillac Eldorado - Gone
Buick Riviera - Gone
Oldsmobile Toronado - Gone
Pontiac Grand Prix - Gone (No Coupe, only Sedan)
Ford Thunderbird - Here, but totally different concept
Mercury Cougar - Gone
Lincoln Mark Series (III thru VIII) - Gone
Chrysler Cordoba - Gone
Dodge Charger to Mirada - Both Gone
Chevrolet Monte Carlo - Remains.

The Monte is the only one that still clings to the original formula. Granted it's FWD, but otherwise:
Luxury Interior with Buckets & Console & Floor Shifter
Sharp Wheels, Perf. tires, Leather, Moonroof and good options
Supercharged V-6
Special Limited Editions
Rear Side Windows
Hardtop Styling
Full Sized Car, not size of say a Nissan 350

Now, it's (another) opportunity lost to the domestics! Look at the import COUPES:-
BMW 6 Series, 3 Series
Mercedes CL Series & CLK Series
Jaguar XJ
Honda Accord
Acura
and many many others still market COUPES. A Grand Prix 4-door is sacreligious. What's next? A Grand Prix MiniVan ??

HotRodSaint
01-03-05, 03:23 PM
What's next?

A 4 door Dodge Charger! :eek:

Ralph
01-03-05, 03:43 PM
A 4 door Dodge Charger! :eek:

After the first year of production they are supposedly going to offer a 2 door version.

HotRodSaint
01-03-05, 03:46 PM
After the first year of production they are supposedly going to offer a 2 door version.

I hope they call it a 'Cuda.

Ralph
01-03-05, 03:48 PM
I hope they call it a 'Cuda.

They'll probably call it a Volare. :rolleyes2

Sandy
01-03-05, 06:11 PM
Omni Executive Series :histeric:

Stoneage_Caddy
01-03-05, 11:15 PM
I could deal with a 2 door version named duster ......with optional hemi power and priced under 23k ...use the srt-4's engine as the base engine

hell while were at it lets bring back the aussie hemi slant six ....

airbalancer
01-04-05, 08:23 AM
The new Opel Gt looks nice
http://bilder.autobild.de/bilder/1/61681.jpg
They say the saturn Sky will be base on the opel
Time to get a roadster and leave the grandkids at home

upstate
03-04-05, 12:53 AM
Two doors dead? Don't tell the thousands waiting in line for there 05 Mustang's. Over 72,000 05's sold already!

airbalancer
03-04-05, 08:10 AM
They'll probably call it a Volare. :rolleyes2
I had a Volare :( wagon , in 1980 but we also had 4 kids in car seats
That why I want a Ragtop now.
Caddy missing the boat by not selling a CTS ragtop now

DeVillish
03-04-05, 09:29 AM
I'd like to see a caddy version of the Sky, with the CTS V6, 5 or 6 speed. Like a small XLR, call it an LLR or CLR, i dunno but make it under around 25k and i'll be all over it.

RobertCTS
03-04-05, 12:28 PM
I think 4 doors can look good and made to look like the coupes. Mazda has done this using suicide rear doors.

davesdeville
03-05-05, 03:36 AM
I'd like to see a caddy version of the Sky, with the CTS V6, 5 or 6 speed. Like a small XLR, call it an LLR or CLR, i dunno but make it under around 25k and i'll be all over it.

You ever hear of the last time Cadillac rebadged some cheap GM? Cimarron (to a much lesser extent Catera) ring a bell? No thanks, I don't want to see Cadillac's reputation tarnished by another rebadged dud. And CLR is Calcium, Lime, and Rust remover not a car.

DeVillish
03-05-05, 05:54 AM
Ok, ha, yeah i know CLR, was just an idea. And the Cimarron and Catera were not bad ideas, just not done right. And cadillac has been sharing chassis for years, so what. Iam not saying slap some Creasts on the Sky and call it a cadillac. Just use the chassis. I see nothing wrong with a RWD fully independent suspension, V6 powered Cadillac roadster. Using a good chassis (that can pull .90 Gs) that already is being made would only make it cheaper to make.

HotRodSaint
03-05-05, 10:54 AM
You ever hear of the last time Cadillac rebadged some cheap GM?

Are you talking about the rebadged Suburban that they call the Escalade? :lildevil:

HotRodSaint
03-05-05, 10:58 AM
Two doors dead? Don't tell the thousands waiting in line for there 05 Mustang's. Over 72,000 05's sold already!

I read a rumor that Mercury might base a Cougar on the Mustang chassis.

That'd be the smartest thing Ford could do.

That's why I won't beleive it until I see it. :D

CoupeDevilleRob
03-05-05, 11:39 AM
I don't care if they claim the market for coupes is dead. I already got an awesome one that you'll have pry out of my cold dead hands. But if GM ever comes to its senses and resurrects the Coupe Deville, I may have to go on a multi state bank robbery spree.

davesdeville
03-05-05, 03:52 PM
Are you talking about the rebadged Suburban that they call the Escalade? :lildevil:

They actually did a lot of work to the Escalade to make it a cut above the Suburban. And to me it's still not quite at Cadillac levels. However it has that hyped up cool factor because the popularity of SUVs just came about recently and it's a Cadillac SUV.

RobertCTS
03-05-05, 04:56 PM
They actually did a lot of work to the Escalade to make it a cut above the Suburban. And to me it's still not quite at Cadillac levels. However it has that hyped up cool factor because the popularity of SUVs just came about recently and it's a Cadillac SUV.

I'm Sorry Dave,
That's not a Escalade it's a CTS. Stand corrected.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6148&item=4532644379&rd=1