: Traction Control

Tom's Caddy
02-09-13, 01:08 PM
Our traction control, does it protect our tranny from damage in snow. We just received a ton here, and for the first time since 1984 I got slightly stuck for about 5 minutes then was able to carry on. But driving in this mess for a while I noticed really for the first time how our traction control seems like we have no power and we are in like ( limp home mode ). I hope you guys can tell me that this is normal and the car did what it was made to do and all is well. I was very gentle with it getting out and babied it but did smell a little hot after, hoping it was just wheels spinning the tire (rubber) that I smelt. All working fine and smell has gone away. Thanks for you're input guys I know you will set me straight.

Submariner409
02-09-13, 02:10 PM
TC will do several things, including lowering engine power output and applying brakes in response to uneven front wheel speeds - Read: wheelspin. Yes, during the event things will get warm and the car might feel as if it's power limited. Once you get to dry (relatively) pavement the car should go back to what you feel is "normal".

I think there's a blurb on this in the owner's manual.

Tom's Caddy
02-09-13, 02:42 PM
Thanks Sub I'm glad you responded, you have a ton of knowledge.

Superjim
02-09-13, 03:37 PM
From your description... sounds like it is working like it should.

Tom's Caddy
02-09-13, 03:57 PM
Thanks Superjim I was waiting to here from you. I thought you would be around ( not shoveling snow down there ) like we are. Thanks for putting my mind at ease. Don't like hurting my Caddy.

Superjim
02-09-13, 07:57 PM
Thanks Superjim I was waiting to here from you. I thought you would be around ( not shoveling snow down there ) like we are. Thanks for putting my mind at ease. Don't like hurting my Caddy.

I'm with you on that... LOL
I have had my traction control kick in when I am going along about 30 on asphalt and stand on it to pass a car.
it will drop dack to 1st gear sometimes start spinning...when it does... TC kicks in and it just about quits pulling.
It will make your heart rate jump up just for a second, 'cause you think you just broke something... LOL

Jim

Tom's Caddy
02-11-13, 11:33 AM
Just an update guys, was able to get out on the highway the other day after all this snow and had a terrible shudder and steering wheel shimmy. It was similar to a very unbalanced tire, and I knew that I had ice and snow in the wheels and suspension. If all you east coaster's have some problem with this especially DTS owners with our finicky vibrations we seem to always get unless we Road Force Balance our tires, Don't Panic and think you dropped a weight or broke something. A guy with an STS had the problem this weekend he went to two stations the first balanced his wheels and in my opinion unbalanced them. He went to the other and they Road Force Balanced his and his problem was gone. I think at both stations all snow and ice melted from his car and the second station fixed what the first one did which was not a Road Force Balance. His whole thread is on the forum. I say that to say this don't over react, I went through two touchless car washes problem solved. If you have a heated garage great if not go to the car wash a couple of times in a row and it should melt everything like it did for me, or waite for a warmer day to drive. I do think over reacting and going to a shop is a needless cost, which I almost did reading the STS report. But cleaned my Caddy at the wash instead and was so happy when I WOT it on that on ramp with no shimmy no shudder.:yup: