: Any auto transmission options for our cars yet? (full manual valve body?

TheKid
02-08-13, 04:15 PM
Hey guys, I havent been in the loop for a while as far as performance mods. I know a lot of other cars have aftermarket options for a transmission swap like this and I thought it would be pretty sick having our V with an automatic full manual valve body. Im sure a lot of people on this forum know what Im talking about, but those that dont, im talking about an automatic transmission in your V with full control over all of the gears with no clutch(start off in first, shift to second by slapping the shifter up one, shifting instantaneously, 3rd gear, so on and so forth. Same for downshifting. Nothing like it. Maybe even throw a 3500 stall converter in for the street and youll be good to go. Anyone know anything about if this is possible? I know the regular cts' auto tranny sucks, but maybe it can be built to handle the horse in the V? Anyone know anyone that would do this? Im dead serious about this.

thebigjimsho
02-08-13, 04:48 PM
Nope.

rand49er
02-08-13, 06:11 PM
This is just wrong on so many levels. :nono:

TheKid
02-08-13, 07:19 PM
"This is just wrong on so many levels."

Can you please elaborate?

atdeneve
02-08-13, 08:12 PM
Could have sworn this was brought up before. With about the same response. Thought it was an old post before I saw the dates.

Bottom line, you'll get no love for automatics here. Most V1 (first gen) owners are not concerned with drag strip performance. Of course, no one will shunt power mods - horsepower and torque is nothing to scoff at (until you reach a point where it becomes useless, because you're chassis is ish) - however, balancing it with improved chassis dynamics and handling so that a vehicle is, first and foremost, enjoyable throughout the whole friction circle is usually of higher priority than gaining a tenth in the quarter.

Also, most of us are not keen on losing the ability to row your own gears. Although, most are ready and willing to tighten up the linkages to improve on the experience.

thebigjimsho
02-08-13, 08:16 PM
Cam we spam here now?

TheKid
02-09-13, 08:48 AM
Could have sworn this was brought up before. With about the same response. Thought it was an old post before I saw the dates.

Bottom line, you'll get no love for automatics here. Most V1 (first gen) owners are not concerned with drag strip performance. Of course, no one will shunt power mods - horsepower and torque is nothing to scoff at (until you reach a point where it becomes useless, because you're chassis is ish) - however, balancing it with improved chassis dynamics and handling so that a vehicle is, first and foremost, enjoyable throughout the whole friction circle is usually of higher priority than gaining a tenth in the quarter.

Also, most of us are not keen on losing the ability to row your own gears. Although, most are ready and willing to tighten up the linkages to improve on the experience.

Point taken, but its not for strip and actually I am more asking for my own concerns. Not trying to persuade you, but you are still rowing your own gears this way, just with no clutch. I am a manual guy, buts Its obvious from the responses none of you have experienced a full manual valve body with instantaneous, neck snapping shifts/downshifts. I however enjoy either way. Again though, I was asking for my own intentions. So at this point back to my question and away from the nonsense and immature members,, im assuming nobody knows a good place to get this done or which transmission would be a good start. Thanks forum.

darkman
02-09-13, 08:56 AM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-performance/184762-cts-v-2006-automatic-conversion.html

rand49er
02-09-13, 09:37 AM
... immature members ...At my age, that's a compliment.

Actually, didn't mean to rile you up, it's just that as stated above there are so many alternative vehicles where this makes more sense to do than a V1, and the fact that EVERY V1 is a manual seems special to many of us.

Good luck if you decide to take on this endeavor, though.

DMM
02-09-13, 10:43 AM
All of this is not entirely true, there are two people that are currently working on this. Aside from widening the trans tunnel, you have to cut out a portion of the rectangular structural member that forms the trans tunnel at the firewall and weld in DOM or some other structural steel in its place to gain some clearance. So, pull motor, trans, interior, and complete dash assembly just to begin cutting/welding. Not/not and easy project, but doable.

runsfromdacops
02-09-13, 07:08 PM
i know a 4l60e will fit a 4l80e will not with out cuting the tunnel. also you cant run any exhaust past the tranny. i will be doing the swap next winter for my car with a 80e or a 400

atdeneve
02-09-13, 07:14 PM
Point taken, but its not for strip and actually I am more asking for my own concerns. Not trying to persuade you, but you are still rowing your own gears this way, just with no clutch. I am a manual guy, buts Its obvious from the responses none of you have experienced a full manual valve body with instantaneous, neck snapping shifts/downshifts. I however enjoy either way. Again though, I was asking for my own intentions. So at this point back to my question and away from the nonsense and immature members,, im assuming nobody knows a good place to get this done or which transmission would be a good start. Thanks forum.

Obviously, I know it's for your own interest - you posted the inquiry. I was just explaining why you won't see an overwhelming interest in that direction.

And when I say "rowing your own gears", for most people, the experience entails, not only physical shifting of the gears, but the clutch pedal and the rev matching that accompanies it. So, for many, it's not just the simple action of flicking a paddle and having something happen for you. There's also no loss in the direct connection of the throttle to the rear wheels when one utilizes a clutch and forgoes a torque converter. Again, just explaining how it's not exactly the same as you are making it out to be and why you aren't going to see too many fawn over such an extensive modification that does away with so many of the characteristics that they desire.

DMM
02-09-13, 09:38 PM
i know a 4l60e will fit a 4l80e will not with out cutting the tunnel. also you cant run any exhaust past the tranny. i will be doing the swap next winter for my car with a 80e or a 400

Interesting...I have an 80 sitting on the floor in the shop to see how bad it would be. A 60 can be built to hold a fair amount of power, but gear spacing and a weak third gear are the Achilles heel of that unit.

The thing I like about the 80 is that you can get the 6x TCI unit with ratio's about the same as the 6L80/90's and they are base rated for 800+hp.