: Automated Car Wash

oldrunner
02-07-13, 06:42 PM
Just purchased a 2006 Escalade base model recently, color red and shows dirt really well. I'm not fan of hand washing so I took it to an automated car wash. The brushes flipped the outside mirrors back and forth a couple of times and moved the rear windshield wiper around pretty good. Any advice other than hand washing? :)
Thanks

rfishoutofwater
02-07-13, 07:17 PM
I move my mirrors in during the main was and fold them out right before rinse cycle. As for the rear wiper. I use blue masking tape and tape it down. Never had an issue this way. I usually hand was but during winter use the car wash.

YoshiMan
02-07-13, 08:11 PM
touchless car washes have improved in recent years. they work well on mine

the cadillac man
02-07-13, 09:09 PM
touchless car washes have improved in recent years. they work well on mine

They work well on mine also

----------

I move my mirrors in during the main was and fold them out right before rinse cycle. As for the rear wiper. I use blue masking tape and tape it down. Never had an issue this way. I usually hand was but during winter use the car wash.

I fold my mirrors in and leave them in as most washes I go to has a sign that tells you to fold in the mirrors

MrHolland
02-07-13, 10:49 PM
I rarely wash my cars, I find it to be very risky. Weekly though, I rinse them with distilled water, drive them until dry and use a quality detail spray or wax to wipe them down. That said, my cars never really get dirty because they stay in the garage unless its dry outside. If I had to drive them daily, touchless would be my choice and probably twice a week. Yeah I know, I'm a little OCD with my cars!!!

the cadillac man
02-07-13, 11:16 PM
I rarely wash my cars, I find it to be very risky. Weekly though, I rinse them with distilled water, drive them until dry and use a quality detail spray or wax to wipe them down. That said, my cars never really get dirty because they stay in the garage unless its dry outside. If I had to drive them daily, touchless would be my choice and probably twice a week. Yeah I know, I'm a little OCD with my cars!!!

I agree with the risk but when it's winter I have to wash mine as soon as the snow is gone as I hate salt

MrHolland
02-07-13, 11:18 PM
^^^Agreed 100%!!!!

jjtwomey
02-07-13, 11:31 PM
^^^Agreed 100%!!!!

Don't the automated car washes create fine scratches in the paint? I always go to handwashes in the winter, and do it myself in the spring/summer.... I also use a waterless car wash/wax which works incredibly on black paint

MrHolland
02-07-13, 11:45 PM
Anytime you or anything else touches a painted surface you run the risk of leaving scratches. It's also rumored that the chemicals in auto car washes can be harmful to certain surfaces and finishes. But, when a car is driven in inclement weather you have no choice but to clean it ASAP.

----I find hand washing to also be very risky. I would encourage all to read through autogeek forum for cleaning tips and how tos.

the cadillac man
02-07-13, 11:59 PM
Don't the automated car washes create fine scratches in the paint? I always go to handwashes in the winter, and do it myself in the spring/summer.... I also use a waterless car wash/wax which works incredibly on black paint

It don't if it is a touch free wash but one thing you don't get with a hand wash is the frame which is also exposed to salt hence why I go to a wash that does the undercarriage wash along with a wheel and tire sprayer lately I found one that does a hand spray to get the most dirt then you go through a automated system to get the rest(it really makes the black paint on my truck shine(I have noticed slight scratches that was on the truck before I got it due to a "soft touch" car wash I hate that as those aren't kept clean at all(unlike the one I normally go to)

jjtwomey
02-08-13, 12:42 AM
It don't if it is a touch free wash but one thing you don't get with a hand wash is the frame which is also exposed to salt hence why I go to a wash that does the undercarriage wash along with a wheel and tire sprayer lately I found one that does a hand spray to get the most dirt then you go through a automated system to get the rest(it really makes the black paint on my truck shine(I have noticed slight scratches that was on the truck before I got it due to a "soft touch" car wash I hate that as those aren't kept clean at all(unlike the one I normally go to)

Awesome. News because I just found a touch less place that has a great reputation and has towel drying, and is like 12 bucks cheaper!

the cadillac man
02-08-13, 01:22 AM
Awesome. News because I just found a touch less place that has a great reputation and has towel drying, and is like 12 bucks cheaper!

Cool the one I go to has dryers at the end of the cycle it beats leaving the water on the truck and it making a water stain(its happened to me before and it sucks to have to clean the truck again because of that)