: Anyone with a D3 CAI - Issues with oil leakage

Nivek
02-07-13, 04:12 PM
I installed the D3 CAI about 3 years ago and now at 60K+ miles on the CTS I am having issues with the engine. So far the dealer has claimed oil from the KN filter screwed up my MAF sensor and they also think it may be hampering the throttle body. Anyone have issues with D3s CAI? It has been on there for probably 40K miles and cleaned/recharged once in that time frame. It claims to only need recharging 50Kish miles.

I was talking to the mechanic (not service advisor) this morning and he told me they have had few after market CAI do this and it was the oil in them.

X E Ryder
02-11-13, 10:33 PM
Who did the re-oil of the filter?

Excessive oil is to blame for a ton of problems.

I've reached the point where I just throw away my k&n at 50k and buy another.

I don't trust that all the supposed particles are gone when you clean and re-oil. I don't think the cloth ever flows as well after recharge - its never as light and clear again. I've also never had oil bleed through from one.

JusJZ
02-17-13, 10:18 AM
What year CTS?

Pdabs
02-17-13, 03:39 PM
What year CTS?

According to his profile 2009

sdobert
02-20-13, 01:30 PM
I worked in air induction and intake manifold systems for an automotive supplier for many years and we had done a few studies on the "reusable" filter elements and found that with each cleaning and re-oiling that the pressure drop was only slightly affected, but the big thing was that the dust capacity and filter efficiency was significantly lower. If I remember correctly, manufacture oiling, the efficiency was ~98% while after the first re-oiling dropped to ~80%with the next oiling dropping to ~65%. Now this study was done around 8 years ago, so the manufactures may have changed the media/oil combination to provide better efficiency now a day. We also did notice when testing these filters to a media migration specification that the oil would migrate through the media resulting in a greater chance for oil to build up on the hot wire in the mass air flow sensor.

Dano636
03-05-13, 07:36 PM
Every time ive cleaned my K&N it never looks as good, finally decided to not F with it and just buy a new filter every 30000ish miles

Panzer Leader
03-15-13, 01:31 AM
^What he says.....Or get a dry reusable and replace it as needed.