: Newbie | 2006 CTS-V | Intro | Mod Help/Input/Suggestions!!

DangeRuss
02-07-13, 11:45 AM
Hey guys! I'm sure all of you seasoned vets on here get tired of the new guys posting threads like this, but I'll add another to the list I suppose. :hide:

I've been trolling around on Caddy Forums as well as LS1Tech for a while, but have recently begun staying a bit more plugged in. I picked the V up about five months ago. She's bone stock other than a Lingenfelter Short Throw Shifter (A.M.A.Z.I.N.G) and has right around 43k miles on the clock. I picked it up from a guy in Ft. Wayne, IN(Ohio roots, so I was doing some shopping in the general vicinity) and is now residing in my garage in Houston, TX (any other Houston V guys out there?!?...I need some buds!...took a job in the oil/gas world after finishing up at Ohio State in 2011)

Anyway, I've been driving the V for a few months fairly regularly now, and I've just about had enough with the bone stock-ness of it. I've had mods planned since before I even purchased the thing, but wanted to drive it a while and get a feel for what directions I was wanting to go with it. I'm currently looking into sending her under the knife, but haven't decided how extensive I want to get with things (also torn between a couple different brands, etc.)

This thread may be fairly useless, cause I'm sure there are other ones devoted specifically to these types of questions, but was hoping you all may be able to properly direct me to any threads that may be useful pertaining to the info below.

I'm looking at doing a cam/headers/exhaust (VERY torn on brand...I know everyone's answer will be Kooks/Corsa, but I'm going either the B&B route or Stainless Works...INPUT REQUESTED, low-pro cut-outs, motor/tranny mounts, CAI, 160* T-Stat . A clutch/flywheel and wheel-hop reduction/elimination axles are on the list as well, but I'll approach those when the factory clutch starts telling me it's her time to go.

Money is a concern, but I fully understand the idiom 'Fast, Reliable, Cheap...Pick Two'. So, with that being said, it's not always the deciding factor in the decision making process. I'm also flirting with ported head work :lildevil:. Maybe this sounds a bit extreme right off the bat for a stock car, but I've been planning my build for far too long, and I've finally got the chance to start making some of these things happen...and if I can swing it financially, it makes sense to get a bulk of this work done at once. Also, I practically stole the car from the guy with the price I got, so it left a little more wiggle room for future mods.

I've tried attaching a pic, so hopefully it comes through alright. I dabble with my Nikon when time allows, but am still a hack compared to the guys that know what they're doing. :hmm:

Hopefully none of that came off too aggressively, etc. You all know a TON more about V's than I do due to your vast knowledge, past experiences, etc....and that's exactly why I've come for help/input/guidance!:D

My name's Russell (note the "creative" username...) and I look forward to hearing back (and possibly meeting any of you Houston V owners!). If this doesn't catch much interest as far as input goes, maybe you guys could at least direct me to some useful and relevant threads to some of my questions!

Thanks!

REDEVIL
02-07-13, 12:32 PM
Welcome! Sounds like you picked a great V to begin with. Good luck!

rand49er
02-07-13, 12:40 PM
Welcome!

Lots of guys can help with choice in H/C ... I can't. The Kooks/Corsa combo is great, and the B&B system is bolder but the drone may not work for you. Don't know about Stainless Works and problems. I second your suggestion to stay with your stock clutch for a while longer, but the OEM flywheel should be targeted for a change. Finally, definitely get axles.

Good luck!

Skidmarcx
02-07-13, 02:03 PM
Welcome! Grats on the car!

PISNUOFF
02-07-13, 05:38 PM
B&B drone is eliminated by cracking the cutouts slightly.

NCOGNITO
02-07-13, 06:49 PM
Congrats on your purchase, I seem to recall seeing this car on Craigslist/Autotrader a day/week after I bought mine. If it's the same one, it was beautiful in the pictures!

JDB
02-07-13, 10:14 PM
Welcome. Lots of info in the archives.

alradco
02-08-13, 01:51 AM
Nice low mileage find, most around here have almost double the miles it seems. Are you planning on keeping it pretty mild, 91 octane? Lots of great options out there for you and in your area you have some pretty good speed shops too. Enjoy.

Peter

mstrjon32
02-10-13, 05:20 AM
Car looks great in the photo. Did you take it?

darkman
02-10-13, 10:35 AM
Regarding your cam/head selection I would contact Patrick Guerra (aka PatrickG of LS1 Tech)http://www.guerragroup.com/#!copy-of-efi-tuning/c1mq5. He can spec your cam and make a recommendation on heads. You will want to cooridinate the head configuration (e.g. compression ratio) with the cam selection to maximize performance. PatrickG also does excellent tuning over at Victoria, Texas.

In the alternative, Total Engine Airflow (talk with Mike Schmidt) or Advanced Induction (best to contact by email) can coordinate head and cam selection.

ZackLakatos
02-11-13, 03:40 AM
At your mileage, im sorry to say but you have a slightly fragile V. Before id start adding more power to the pavement, id strengthen what puts the power to the pavement and get the better axles/diff. it can be a DIY, i did mine in a parking lot, you will need a jack, and a friend, who could also be Jack if you know a Jack..however tommy or a kieth will do. Once you pop the exhaust off and get to the diff/axles they will come right out, unbolt your driveshaft, remove your diff, replace it with the 06 (cost me 1500 OEM, best money ive ever spent) car felt so much smoother, when i chirped the tires didnt hop, instead they grabbed harder. afte you get the diff/axles i reccommend some really nice bumper stickers. I like the Kooks ones but Summit racing gives you more horsepower of the two. After you're done with the stickers id suggest opening up your airflow..CAI,TB,Headers, Cat-Back, maybe a short throw since the exhaust will already be removed, then hit that tune. should put that V around 380-400 since stock youre right around 330. Anyone please feel free to correct my reccommendations, this is a friendly forum :)

Big Block 454
02-12-13, 01:01 PM
So the '06 cars have a stronger 3rd member? I thought I had read that somewhere. And this car is an '06 so it should be ok?
At your mileage, im sorry to say but you have a slightly fragile V. Before id start adding more power to the pavement, id strengthen what puts the power to the pavement and get the better axles/diff. it can be a DIY, i did mine in a parking lot, you will need a jack, and a friend, who could also be Jack if you know a Jack..however tommy or a kieth will do. Once you pop the exhaust off and get to the diff/axles they will come right out, unbolt your driveshaft, remove your diff, replace it with the 06 (cost me 1500 OEM, best money ive ever spent) car felt so much smoother, when i chirped the tires didnt hop, instead they grabbed harder. afte you get the diff/axles i reccommend some really nice bumper stickers. I like the Kooks ones but Summit racing gives you more horsepower of the two. After you're done with the stickers id suggest opening up your airflow..CAI,TB,Headers, Cat-Back, maybe a short throw since the exhaust will already be removed, then hit that tune. should put that V around 380-400 since stock youre right around 330. Anyone please feel free to correct my reccommendations, this is a friendly forum :)

etcts-v
02-12-13, 01:58 PM

Good suggestions, do you have a base 2003 CTS? You replaced the diff on a CTS?

ZackLakatos
02-13-13, 07:09 AM
So the '06 cars have a stronger 3rd member? I thought I had read that somewhere. And this car is an '06 so it should be ok?

DID NOT notice you had the 06, for some reason thought you had the 05. yes you have the stronger diff, if you plan to drag i suggest a pinion support or an anti hop kit avail on www.cadillacfaq.com. BUT STILL look into the axles, it will help eliminate hop.

----------

Good suggestions, do you have a base 2003 CTS? You replaced the diff on a CTS?

LOL no! i just havent had the time to update my garage. i had a 92 DeVille, an 03 Cts 3.6, a 2005 V1, and now own a Maggied/nitrous 2005 V1 (585WHP ???Tq)

I replaced the diff in my first V after my stock one finally bit (i have heard of track people going through three or four of the 05 diffs when under warranty! WOW! needless to say i just stepped it up to the 06 diff and that thing felt STRONG.

Big Block 454
02-14-13, 04:23 PM
[QUOTE=ZackLakatos;3222199]DID NOT notice you had the 06, for some reason thought you had the 05. yes you have the stronger diff, if you plan to drag i suggest a pinion support or an anti hop kit avail on www.cadillacfaq.com. BUT STILL look into the axles, it will help eliminate hop.[COLOR="Silver"]

I kinda jumped in on the conversation when I read your comments on the 3rd member. I actually have a spotless, loaded '05 3.6 and have looking at the V series for a while.I am aware of the rearend issues on these cars (even my 3.6 had a whine at 41,000 miles - swapped it out with a good unit from a wrecking yard) and wanted to confirm
the 06was a better setup. I'm still waiting for the right V to come along. Do you fee the '04 and '05 models should be avoided? I found an '05 with 25k miles for $19.5k.

rand49er
02-14-13, 05:22 PM
... Do you fee the '04 and '05 models should be avoided? I found an '05 with 25k miles for $19.5k.Lots of '05s out there with upgraded diffs (mine has a 3rd gen diff). IMHO, an '05 with 25k miles priced at $19.5k deserves a good look ... even with a 2nd gen diff.

etcts-v
02-14-13, 08:48 PM
DID NOT notice you had the 06, for some reason thought you had the 05. yes you have the stronger diff, if you plan to drag i suggest a pinion support or an anti hop kit avail on www.cadillacfaq.com. BUT STILL look into the axles, it will help eliminate hop.

----------

LOL no! i just havent had the time to update my garage. i had a 92 DeVille, an 03 Cts 3.6, a 2005 V1, and now own a Maggied/nitrous 2005 V1 (585WHP ???Tq)

I replaced the diff in my first V after my stock one finally bit (i have heard of track people going through three or four of the 05 diffs when under warranty! WOW! needless to say i just stepped it up to the 06 diff and that thing felt STRONG.

Haha that makes more sense! Damn 585 at the wheels? That's impressive, my next mod is nitrous, cheap HP.

thebigjimsho
02-15-13, 10:29 AM

Such explicit talk will get you thrown out of here, mister!

ZackLakatos
02-18-13, 07:06 AM
[QUOTE=ZackLakatos;3222199]I kinda jumped in on the conversation when I read your comments on the 3rd member. I actually have a spotless, loaded '05 3.6 and have looking at the V series for a while.I am aware of the rearend issues on these cars (even my 3.6 had a whine at 41,000 miles - swapped it out with a good unit from a wrecking yard) and wanted to confirm
the 06was a better setup. I'm still waiting for the right V to come along. Do you fee the '04 and '05 models should be avoided? I found an '05 with 25k miles for $19.5k.

the 04 and 05 are great looking cars, but fragile. if you plan to drag/launch often at lights these are not the years for you unless you have an 06 rear diff installed immediately. i doubt youll be able to sell the 05/04 diff youre replacing on the classifieds, theyre just that weak. needless to say if you find an 05 with that low of mileage the first thing i would do is talk down the price. 20k is high for a 9 year old car. sure your paint will be fresh and interior crisp but 20k is steep. that car is right around the 15-18k range depending on how well it was maintained. i suggest avoiding KEEPING YOUR 05/04 diff if you do choose to go with the car..negotiate it down, and the 1500$ part will pay for itself since hes asking 19,5.

JDB
02-18-13, 10:38 AM
[QUOTE=Big Block 454;3223603]

the 04 and 05 are great looking cars, but fragile. if you plan to drag/launch often at lights these are not the years for you unless you have an 06 rear diff installed immediately. i doubt youll be able to sell the 05/04 diff youre replacing on the classifieds, theyre just that weak. needless to say if you find an 05 with that low of mileage the first thing i would do is talk down the price. 20k is high for a 9 year old car. sure your paint will be fresh and interior crisp but 20k is steep. that car is right around the 15-18k range depending on how well it was maintained. i suggest avoiding KEEPING YOUR 05/04 diff if you do choose to go with the car..negotiate it down, and the 1500$ part will pay for itself since hes asking 19,5.

Fragile? It must be Italian.

I wouldn't go that far to say avoid an '04-05 since not everyone beats on their cars by living their life a quarter mile at a time.

I'm sure you could find one in the $15-18k range, but not every '04-05 is high mileage and beaten on to be in that price range. Maybe it has a newer diff (many do, mine does) and good maintenance history, and therefore worth the $19.5k price especially with only 25k miles on it. Low mileage Vs are getting harder to find.

And not that KBB is the most accurate source for pricing, but an '05 with 25k is ~$20k for good to very good condition private parry value.

Big Block 454
02-19-13, 01:52 PM
Such explicit talk will get you thrown out of here, mister!
Thanks for the heads up. I was considering posting a pic of my 3rd member. Good thing I didn't.