: Rough ride into work today

cadigirlchicago2
02-07-13, 10:51 AM
So this mornings commute to work was less than ideal. We were getting freezing rain and the roads were very slick. I was in a parking lot and the car started to slide but I let the brakes do the work. I went along to the next light where on the center info screen the message service stabilitrack system came on, the engine light came on, and the car icon with the slippery road marks behind it came on. The car was shaking, and the RPMs were over 10,000. I called hubby and he told me to pull over, shut off the car, wait a minute and start it again and see what happens. The car was running like normal again except for the engine light still being illuminated, the car with wet tires icon turned off. The only thing that happened was the ABS system kicked on in that parking lot from being so slippery. Any ideas? I wonder if being parked all day if when I leave the office it will turn off?

greyghost04
02-07-13, 11:32 AM
It will probably be just fine, I hope!

carbeck
02-07-13, 11:54 AM
We have a 2011 AWD Luxury. Sometime back, on a wet day, we were on a frontage road. I was literally creeping forward, about to pull out into traffic, and when I tried to accelerate, it felt like something was holding the car back, and it "shivered" for 2-3 seconds. Then it finally lurched forward (as I had punched it), and the service stabilitrak, service abs, and service traction messages all came on. We pulled over, I shut the engine off, restarted, and all were gone. No problems since.

Now, you described one icon as the car with slippery marks behind it. Did it say "off" beneath it? If so, that's the stabilitrak off light. If it did not say "off", that's the traction and/or stabilitrak active light. It comes on when the system is working to correct wheel spin. But, it can also indicate an error. From the owners manual (2010):

The indicator/warning light flashes while the StabiliTrak or TCS system is working to control the vehicle on a low traction surface. If the TCS/StabiliTrak warning light comes on and stays on while driving, try to reset the system. Stop and turn off the engine for at least 15 seconds. Then start the engine again. If this light still comes on and stays on, the vehicle needs service. The vehicle is safe to drive, but StabiliTrak is not active, adjust driving accordingly.

The full manual is available at:

http://www.cadillac.com/content/dam/Cadillac/Global/master/nscwebsite/en/home/Owners/Manuals_and_Videos/01_images/2010_cadillac_srx_owners_manual.pdf

cadigirlchicago2
02-07-13, 12:33 PM
Thanks! No, the OFF wasn't on. I have a 2010 so to the left of the main info system guage, that icon came on. and the engine light was still on after I turned off the car and re started but it was driving like normal again.
I hope it resets somehow after I leave work today. Always something it seems but this rain was making the roads very slick as it was starting to freeze, not a good commute what so ever. Im just glad my hubby was nice enough to follow me to work to make sure I got in ok.

GMJim
02-07-13, 12:47 PM
Nice Guy, lucky lady!

carbeck
02-07-13, 12:48 PM
OK, I missed the first time that the engine light was on. Do you have active OnStar? If so, when you go back out to the car, if the light is still on, ring them up and ask them to run diagnostic on it. However, my thought is that the light may have been related to when the engine raced over 10,000 RPM (when it happened to ours, it also revved excessively). When it happened to yours, was freezing rain actually falling at the time? If so, it's possible that the grille may have been covered in ice and not allowing heat to escape in the first place. Combine that with the engine racing, and it may have overheated. I would say to wait and see what happens when you get back out to it. You are fine to use the remote start if you want, as it will cancel the start if it detects a malfunction.

cadigirlchicago2
02-07-13, 01:34 PM
Yes, I do have active onstar. Ok, I'll wait and see what happens. I remember this racing happened 1x before when I had a sparkplug and coil go on me. Fingers crossed and yes, GMJim - very lucky lady! That was very sweet that he followed me to make sure I didn't break down on the roads. I was so stressed out...not a good morning.

cadigirlchicago2
02-07-13, 09:39 PM
Quick update. When I left work, the engine light was still on but he car was running as normal. I did press the onstar button and they ran a diagnostic - they said it's showing the electronic throddle control system had a problem. Now - my question is - does that relate to the power train? I called the dealership and they told me that it's possible that the engine light will stay on for afew more times until it senses that that problem isn't taking place anymore, then it MIGHT go off. If not, I can take it in but I"m out of warranty so they said for $167 they will read the code and let me know. From there IF it's powertrain related, that would still be covered under the other warranty I guess I still have for that, if it's anything else, I'd have to approve them to do the work and they would apply the $167 towards the repair. We have extremely heavy wet snow coming down like crazy, so far we have around 7 inches so I was clearly NOT going to take it on my way home. I was thinking about just waiting to see what happens over the weekend and possibly taking it in monday if it doesn't resolve. Do you all think I should limit driving longer distances while the engine light is still on? I had weekend plans to take the car to the city ( 50 miles drive there, 50 back ).

Thanks!

adamjeeps
02-07-13, 09:51 PM
How are you out of warranty? You have a 2010 right?

cadigirlchicago2
02-07-13, 10:25 PM
yes, 2010 and yes, out of warranty, I am at aprox 56,000 miles

adamjeeps
02-07-13, 11:09 PM
Make sure you ask if it is covered by the emissions warranty of 8 years 80,000 miles.

algiorda
02-08-13, 07:38 AM
I had this happen to me a while back. I have a 2010. Same exact behavior; EXCEPT, I could not get my Gear Shifter out of PARK until I cycled the car off and on. And the Check Engine Light stayed on after I successfully got it out of park.

I made a service appointment to check the engine light and the day before the appointment, the Check Engine light went out and stayed out. The car has behaved absolutely normal ever since and I cancelled the service appointment. Go Figure.

themacguy
02-08-13, 08:33 AM
It can take 3-5 driving cycles to reset a CEL, depending on the malfunction. Just letting the car sit and then starting it will probably not reset the light, since you have a hard code set.

I doubt the TPS is covered under Powertrain. A lot depends on the Dealer and your relationship with them.

Edit: As long as the CEL in NOT flashing (engine misfire), the car is safe to drive.

TheCaptain
02-08-13, 10:28 AM
Isn't your 2010 covered under the 5 year 160 000km/100 000mi powertrain warranty? Or did the states not do that in 2010?

adamjeeps
02-08-13, 12:34 PM
Isn't your 2010 covered under the 5 year 160 000km/100 000mi powertrain warranty? Or did the states not do that in 2010?

This is most likely an unwarrantable item:

GM Service Operations

**Urgent Message**

DCS 412
DATE: September 21, 2009

TO: All US GM Dealers, Service Directors, Warranty Administrators and Parts Managers

SUBJECT: Changes to the General Motors 100,000 Mile/5 Year Powertrain Warranty for 2010 Model Year Vehicles

This message is to provide information regarding the a few changes to the GM Powertrain Warranty for 2010 model year vehicles. Previous model year vehicles are NOT affected by these changes.

For model year 2010, General Motors is announcing a slight change in the components that are covered under the 100,000 mile/5 year limited warranty on all light duty cars and trucks. The Warranty and Owner Assistance Information booklets have already been updated with these changes in all New 2010 model GM vehicles.

The following items have been eliminated from the Powertrain portion of the coverage for 2010, however, they will continue to be covered for the entire length of the Bumper to Bumper Limited Warranty for all GM vehicles. Select components may also be covered by Federal or State Emission coverage. Please refer to the Labor Time Guide and Policies and Procedures (P&P) manual for further details.

1) The entire pressurized fuel system (in-tank fuel pump, lines, fuel rail, injectors and return line.

2) The Engine/Powertrain Control Module (ECM/PCM) and module programming.

3) The Transmission Control Module (TCM), Transfer Case Control Module and module programming.

4) The Throttle Body Assembly.

5) Clutch and Pressure Plate for Manual Transmission.

6) Sealed Wheel Bearing Assemblies or Hub and Bearing Assemblies (axle shafts, seals and bearings that are part of

complete axle housings are still covered).

The following items have been added to the Powertrain portion of the coverage for 2010.

1) Engine oiling system including the hoses, lines and cooler.

2) Crankshaft Pulley.

3) Clutch Master Cylinder.

The GMVIS (GM Vehicle Inquiry System) and the new Global Warranty Management Investigate Vehicle History screen allows you to identify this new warranty by the abbreviated description under the Applicable Warranties section. The word warranty at the end of the description is abbreviated WTY. Previous 100,000 mile/5 Year Warranties have the entire word spelled out.

60/100,000 Powertrain Coverage Limited WTY (2010 Model Year example)

Subsequent communications will address other programs that may be coordinated with the New Vehicle Limited Warranty on our vehicles.

The attached wording is what is outlined in all 2010 Warranty and Owner Assistance Information booklets for all GM vehicles.

Engine Coverage Includes: All internally lubricated parts, engine oil cooling hoses, lines and radiators. Also included are all actuators and electrical components internal to the engine (i.e.: Active Fuel Management Valve Lifter Oil Manifold, etc.) as well as the Engine/Powertrain Control Module, module programming, cylinder head, block, timing gears, timing chain, timing cover, oil pump/oil pump housing, OHC carriers, valve covers, oil pan, seals, gaskets, manifolds, flywheel, water pump, harmonic balancer, engine mount, starter motor, turbocharger and supercharger. Timing belts are covered until the first scheduled maintenance interval.

Exclusions: Excluded from the powertrain coverage are sensors, wiring, connectors, engine radiator, coolant hoses, fans, coolant and heater core. Coverage on the engine cooling system begins at the inlet to the water pump and ends with the thermostat housing and/or outlet that attaches to the return hose. Also excluded is the entire pressurized fuel system (in-tank fuel pump, pressure lines, fuel rail(s), regulator, injectors and return line) as well as the Engine/Powertrain Control Module and/or module programming.

Transmission/Transaxle Coverage Includes: All internally lubricated parts, case, torque converter, mounts, seals and gaskets as well as any electrical components internal to the transmission/transaxle. Also covered are any actuators directly connected to the transmission (Slave cylinder, etc.).

Exclusions: Excluded from the powertrain coverage are transmission cooling lines, hoses, radiator, sensors, wiring and electrical connectors. Also excluded are the clutch and pressure plate as well as any Transmission Control Module and/or module programming.

The Transfer Case Coverage Includes: All internally lubricated parts, case, mounts, seals and gaskets as well as any electrical components internal to the transfer case. Also covered are any actuators directly connected to the transfer case as well as encoder motor.

Exclusions: Excluded from the powertrain coverage are transfer case cooling lines, hoses, radiator, sensors, wiring, electrical connectors as well as the transfer case control module and/or module programming.

The Drive Systems Coverage Includes: All internally lubricated parts, final drive housings, axle shafts and bearings, constant velocity joints, propeller shafts, universal joints. All mounts, supports, seals, gaskets as well as any electrical components internal to the drive axle. Also covered are any actuators directly connected to the drive axle (i.e.: front differential actuator, etc).

Exclusions: Excluded from the powertrain coverage are all wheel bearings, drive wheel front and rear hub bearings, locking hubs,drive system cooling, lines, hoses, radiator, sensors, wiring and electrical connectors related to drive systems as well as any drive system control module and/or module programming.

Courtesy Transportation Program

During the 100,000 mile/5 year warranty coverage period, alternate transportation and/or reimbursement of certain transportation expenses will be available under the Courtesy Transportation Program if your vehicle requires warranty repairs. Several transportation options are available. Refer to the Owners Manual for details,

What Is Not Covered

All the above items are not covered for damage due to accident, misuse, alteration, insufficient or improper maintenance, contaminated or poor quality fuel. Medium Duty trucks, including the C4500, are excluded from this powertrain coverage. For complete details refer to your Warranty and Owner Assistance Information Booklet.

Roadside Assistance Program

General Motors is proud to offer the response, security, and convenience of the 24-hour Roadside Assistance Program for a period of 100,000 miles/5 years, whichever comes first. Refer to your Owner Manual for details, or consult your dealer/retailer. The Roadside Assistance contact information is listed in the Customer Assistance Offices section of the Warranty and Owner Assistance Information booklet.

Goodwill Adjustments on Powertrain Items

Based on the addition of the New 100,000 Mile/5 Year Powertrain Warranty, GM would expect that very few powertrain repairs would be considered for Goodwill adjustments outside the 100,000 Mile/5 Year Powertain Warranty period. We ask that dealers continue to analyze goodwill decisions on a case by case basis and recognize that time and mileage are always a factor. Total Goodwill dollars spent will continue to be communicated to all GM dealers as a memo item at the bottom of the GM Dealer Analysis (DA) report. This will allow dealership service mangers to manage the expense and involve their District Service Manager when necessary.

The following labor operations make up the entire list that is included in the New 2010 Powertrain coverage. The Coverage Code section of the labor Time Guide will be updated with this information in the November 2009 release.

cadigirlchicago2
02-08-13, 01:19 PM
Thanks everyone! I will drive the car later today and over the weekend and see how it goes. Thanks!!!

Cadillac Cust Svc
02-09-13, 04:20 PM
cadigirlchicago2,

Hope things go well over the weekend! Keep us posted, and if you should like for us to check into anything let us know.

Sarah (Assisting Katie), Cadillac Customer Service

cadigirlchicago2
02-10-13, 04:02 PM
Everything is great, engine light is OFF - was off yesterday when I drove it so all is well! Thanks everyone for your posts! You all are the best!

carbeck
02-11-13, 06:06 PM
Glad to hear. I might have missed it or forgotten already, but is your SRX all wheel drive? Ours is a 2011, but it's a Luxury like yours and is AWD. Perhaps something with 10/11 AWD Luxury models?

cadigirlchicago2
02-12-13, 02:46 PM
Nope, mine is front wheel drive but it's 2010 luxury. So happy it resolved on it's own!

cadigirlchicago2
02-13-13, 09:56 AM
Another update. So the car has been running totally fine since Friday Feb 8th. Last night the engine light flashed for maybe 10 seconds, RPM's went a little wild, needle was flickering up/down and then the light went off again and was normal. I have no idea what to do with this car if I should waste the $167 to take it in or just hope for the best and leave it alone? I'm at almost 56K miles. I'm honestly thinking of dumping this car......I'm going to need new tires/brakes in spring so it might be a good time and I don't think I'd get another SRX either. Sad face. I'm THINKING about the Buick Encore, it's the smaller size of the Enclave, but haven't seen it on the road to even know if I"m interested or not.

TheCaptain
02-14-13, 09:40 PM
The Encore is smaller than the SRX, significantly. The SRX is a midsize CUV, the Encore/Trax is a compact CUV.

carbeck
02-15-13, 09:45 AM
If you're looking to dump the SRX, have you thought about an Equinox/Terrain? It won't give you as smooth of a ride, but similar size to the SRX and you can get the LFX engine, same as a current SRX.

cadigirlchicago2
02-15-13, 10:10 AM
Well, hubby is hoping I will downsize to something smaller. It's only 2 people ever in the car, we never use the back seating except for groceries so he feels size wise and for the price of gas, that it's a waste. I haven't done much research but it seems that the Buick Encore is new? I only see the Enclaves around. I'm still pretty prelim in even thinking about this but I will need new tires/brakes come March or April for sure and I'm paranoid after that issue from last week and then the flicker that happened again this week. I fear that there is a massive expensive repair lurking.....I do love my SRX though, for the price, it's a nice car. I'll have to check into that Equinox/Terrain as well, thanks for mentioning those.
Have a good weekend everyone!

TheCaptain
02-15-13, 10:23 AM
Yes the Encore is brand new. It looks to be a pretty awesome entry into the Compact Lux CUV segment!

carbeck
02-15-13, 10:38 AM
Just one of my observations -

Our SRX is Black Raven with ebony interior. A truck dropped an Encore off at our dealer last weekend. It was also leather in Black/Ebony, so we swung by on Sunday while they were closed to check it out. We love the color in our SRX, but on the Encore it was quite drab. There was practically no color anywhere, completely monotone. The "wood" was even shaded ebony. I definitely would want to get one with the Saddle interior so there's some real color, and the "wood" is colored like wood.

My gut tells me they'll probably change the Encore's engine after a model year or two (just like the SRX); they'll probably put in the new Opel 1.6 with DI. That will definitely make it a better deal.

TheCaptain
02-15-13, 11:29 AM
It's good to see the North American public shying away from 'all black all the time', and getting into more exciting colours in the interior of vehicles. :)

cadigirlchicago2
02-20-13, 09:55 AM
So this is apparently an ongoing problem. Car has been fine again for almost a week. Last night, hubby was driving and the system flashed a message saying ENGINE SPEED REDUCED, the car started making loud engine noises, we couldn't go more than 10 MPH, engine light was on solid and also traction icon came on ( car with slippery wheels behind it ). What is wrong with this car???? Ugh I really didn't want to have to take it in but it's clearly looking like I will have to. Anyone know if there are any service bulletins relating to this problem?

beachcad
02-20-13, 10:33 AM
So this is apparently an ongoing problem. Car has been fine again for almost a week. Last night, hubby was driving and the system flashed a message saying ENGINE SPEED REDUCED, the car started making loud engine noises, we couldn't go more than 10 MPH, engine light was on solid and also traction icon came on ( car with slippery wheels behind it ). What is wrong with this car???? Ugh I really didn't want to have to take it in but it's clearly looking like I will have to. Anyone know if there are any service bulletins relating to this problem?

For the US, there is the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Saftey Administration) that links to this website for specific vehicle safety issues:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchVehicles

There are 41 complaints, 3 recalls, and 54 service bulletins listed for the 2010 Cadillac SRX

cadigirlchicago2
02-20-13, 10:36 AM
Well now I’m really concerned, I did some digging online and came up with these posts below. I do not have warranty coverage, I’m beginning to think with 56,500 miles and also needing new tires/brakes, I should just dump this vehicle immediately. Seems like most people with this reducted engine speed,traction control, engine light on have little luck getting this resolved quickly if at all. HELP!

“2003 CTS and most of GM electronic throttle controls with a reduced engine power light and lost of power is caused by the ECM recieving incorrect information between the electronic throttle body to the gas pedal position sensors. 80% of the time a replacement throttle body with a new harness pig tail to the throttle body will fix this issue. 10% cleaning the throttle body might fix this but if all this has been performed then the engine harness assembly is the next step. hope this helps

Had the same problem with my 2010 SRX - hard starting - once it started engine went into reduced power mode and traction manage light and engine light came on. Drove home at 20 mph - restarted in driveway - everything normal except engine light was still on.
Dealer scanned and retreived code DIC P1682. Replaced Powertrain relay in UBEC. Fingers crossed that this works as this is the second visit to the dealer for the same problem.”

cadigirlchicago2
02-25-13, 09:37 AM
I think I’m in love....... with a new car. I went to see the new buick encore – very nice. Perfect size and the seats are way more comfortable than the ones in my current ride. I know this is a cadi forum but I’ll have to find out more info regarding if they provide oil changes free etc.

Cadillac Cust Svc
02-25-13, 04:04 PM
cadigirlchicago2,
To my knowledge and after a search in my resources Buick does not to a program similar to Cadillac Premium Care. I would say to keep an eye out on the Buick website for something like the Experience Buick program (http://www.buick.com/experience/lease-offers.html). That information is a leasing program for 2012 models, which would not include the Encore. I don't have information on what's going to be put out for 2013, but again - keep a sharp eye!

Sarah (Assisting Katie), Cadillac Customer Service

carbeck
02-25-13, 10:13 PM
Actually, the Experience Buick program is applicable to 2013 models, and, therefore the Encore. See the following link (replace the Xs with your zip code):

http://www.buick.com/tools/currentoffers/results.do?zipCode=XXXXX

The current offer showing for my zip code is for a bare bones model - $332/month 24 month lease at 10k miles per year with 0 down. Pretty impressive actually. The current offers expire on Feb 28th but I would expect similar ones thereafter.

cadigirlchicago2
02-26-13, 09:59 AM
I want the top dog model but most likely won't lease - even with getting a higher mileage contract, we still share 1 car and put on about 17-20K per year so hubby says that wouldn't be a good thing for us to lease. Thanks for the info! I'll look into it! Too bad the financing % is so high....I'd jump at 1.9%!

cadigirlchicago2
03-01-13, 10:19 AM
Hi Everyone!

I heard an ad on the radio this morning for auto zone. They diagnose your check engine light code for free, give you the report and then suggest a mechanic in the area – seems like a good offer so I’m going to go tomorrow and see what this problem is and hope that it’s a cheap fix. I don’t see any harm, they say it takes literally 2 minutes to check the codes – better than paying the $161 at the dealership to diagnose it.

Ponyman
03-01-13, 06:19 PM
Cad Girl, you don't have to finance with Ally. When we bought our 13 SRX three months ago, we got 1.73% through a local credit union that we didn't even belong to. The dealers finance man found it for us, so good rates are out there as long as you have a good credit score

redvett94
03-02-13, 07:11 PM
I have been watching this thread for some time and must at the "10000 rpm's. If your engine hit that its going to be junk.
Even NASCAR engines do not go that high in RPM's. Fuel shutoff should be about 8500 - 9000 rpm's.

If you havent driven your new vehicle in snow or icey conditions you should go to a vacant parking lot and drive it aggressively to experence the Stabilitrak and traction control alongwith ABS.

Along with this make sure your shows & boots are not wide, anbe cumbersome to cause you to inadvertently step on the brake and gas simultaneously and cause an accident.

\

OK, I missed the first time that the engine light was on. Do you have active OnStar? If so, when you go back out to the car, if the light is still on, ring them up and ask them to run diagnostic on it. However, my thought is that the light may have been related to when the engine raced over 10,000 RPM (when it happened to ours, it also revved excessively). When it happened to yours, was freezing rain actually falling at the time? If so, it's possible that the grille may have been covered in ice and not allowing heat to escape in the first place. Combine that with the engine racing, and it may have overheated. I would say to wait and see what happens when you get back out to it. You are fine to use the remote start if you want, as it will cancel the start if it detects a malfunction.

cadigirlchicago2
03-04-13, 11:38 AM
Yes, you are right, I was always under the impression that it was RPM’s x 1000 my mistake. It idle went to 1000 from the usual 500 mark. Regardless, I had it diagnosed and it’s the throddle control sensor. The dealership is being really cool and are only charging me $100 deductable to fix it.
The car is not new and it has nothing to do with the kind of shoes I’m wearing.