: 2014 Cadillac CTS: This Is It

BreakingThrough
02-06-13, 07:33 PM
Best look yet. Thoughts?

http://jalopnik.com/5982278/2014-cadillac-cts-this-is-it

popacork
02-06-13, 07:42 PM
Hard to tell about the front styling...may be OK. The rear styling doesn't do anything for me. I like the "edgier" styling of the current CTS.

jeffc83
02-06-13, 08:50 PM
Best look yet. Thoughts?

http://jalopnik.com/5982278/2014-cadillac-cts-this-is-it

The rear looks similar to the XTS in a way...I'm somewhat disappointed with it. BUT, the front has some potential.

I agree with popacork...the current gen CTS styling with its edgier styling is awesome.

blankster
02-06-13, 09:01 PM
Not impressed. The Mercedes E350 for 2014 (due this spring) looks like it may be in my future.

Loveldos
02-06-13, 09:02 PM
Agree with comments already made . . . the front is nice, but the rear looks "dull" and the signature vertical tail lamps are too short and stubby, and my biggest disappointment is the area where the C-Pillar meets the body--very straight and dull--whereas the current generation CTS's have great detailing there that is simply beautiful! Let's hope this is simply an unflattering view of the rear quarter!

jurzdevil
02-06-13, 09:24 PM
very quick and dirty but raising the tailights to the height of the ugly ATS/XTS "step" makes the rear a little better in my opinion.

rchern
02-06-13, 10:33 PM
I knew when I saw the rounded stylig of the ATS and the XTS that the new CTS's styling would follow. Why Cadillac would go more mainstream on styling when the unique styling of the CTS was a home run is beyond me. The only car that interests me is the ELR which retains some of the angular shape I like but according to the Motor Trend article "projected 0-60 acceleration times to around 8 seconds (from about 9 in our experience)" puts that out of the running. If my next car is going to be a Cadillac it would be the ATS only because it's performance and handling is getting excellent reviews and I like the 2 tone interiors (caramel and red). The thing is that there is a Chevy/Cadillac dealership on the next block from me and they sometimes park the ATS next to a Malibu and in my opinion there's not enough difference in shape. I'm hoping for a ATS coupe. I'm already looking at other brands.

snofun3
02-06-13, 11:23 PM
Terribly disappointing.

The styling of the '08 was what got me into the car. Even my kids thought is was outstanding. They've taken all of the sharpness out and made it derivative. Sad.

Let's see an ATS V coupe.

rchern
02-07-13, 12:49 AM
One thing just came to mind. A lot of us owners have stated how much we love the angular shape but I just realized that since I've had my coupe quite a few people in parking lots and such have walked up to me and told me how they loved my car. I've had a lot of cars but I can't remember anyone approaching me to tell me how much they liked my car. Those people might have been potential Cadillac customers. I hope for the employees of Cadillac that for every customer like me who is disappointed with the style and sniffing around elsewhere, there are 2 people who are looking at the new style and saying how much they love it.

CTSCHICK
02-07-13, 01:12 AM
It looks like a bigger ATS,
I really hate this trend GM is doing by making all of their cars look the same with the only difference being size
Reminds me of Audi
Every model should have distinct and unique looks to set its self way a part from other models IMO

MD-11
02-07-13, 01:23 AM
Hope this isn't the new CTS.

RAB
02-07-13, 01:37 AM
If this is it I'm not loving it.
Can't yet comment on the front, but the rear is very disappointing. My first impression is I think they've blown it.
So this is what they meant by "less edgy, more sophisticated" styling?!!
It wont be long before we see official photos of the new car. I'll reserve my final judgement till then.

CaddyFanFL
02-07-13, 01:39 AM
Hope this isn't the new CTS.

Well, it obviously is. Now, if this car is going to be priced closely to the BMW 5-series, Cadillac is going to have a problem because I'm having my doubts that many people will be willing to pay >$70K for this design.

The front is great - the rear isn't and IMO, a complete mismatch to the front.

Superbenzin
02-07-13, 05:42 AM
Hello...

...sorry, the rear look`s like one of a million asian car`s http://www.smilies.4-user.de/include/Schock/smilie_sh_050.gif (http://www.smilies.4-user.de)

Glad to have a 2012 CTS in my garage:D

Best regards

Heinz

ArmyJoe
02-07-13, 08:07 AM
Looks like an Old Man's car from the rear

MoFex
02-07-13, 08:41 AM
It is interesting how all of us agree…..for me personally this look does not do much. What got me to the CTS was the 08 design in and out. If Cadillac changes it too much I am going to look somewhere else, especially given my bad experience with the car reliability….

I just hope someone in GM knows what they are doing…..

tinman
02-07-13, 08:50 AM
Fugly.

birolziggi
02-07-13, 09:50 AM
if this is the new cts im done with it .realy ugly. im might go to MB

71MonteCarlo
02-07-13, 10:11 AM
I have a 12 coupe and was thinking about getting a new 14 when they came out. I do like the turbo 6 but definitely will not get a Cadillac in 14 because of the rear styling. I may be 71 year old but not ready to buy that "old man look". Any they will wonder why sales are disappointing on the CTS.

smithb
02-07-13, 10:34 AM
Very disappointed. The current CTS to me looks like an angry sports car forced to shuttle around four doors. It's sharp and angular and looks like it is sucked to the ground. The new one looks looks like an XTS, a four door forced to shuttle around angry old men. I think the grill looks like a Mercedes, but the headlights look oddly small and that rear end is so indescribably bland I am ending my streak of 3 straight Cadillacs, between this, the fact that the ELR is over priced by about $10k, and the new SRX is so FWD bland. I guess this is what Cadillac wants (more generic cars to attract more sales), but they are going in the opposite direction of what drew me to them.

Caddy Chris
02-07-13, 11:11 AM
I was going to trade in my 08 CTS for a new one but after this I may do something else. We just bought an SRX for the wife and I love it. Maybe I will get an SRX too. But I wanted a sporty car that is fun to drive the ATS is a little small I am really sad right now. May have to go look at MB or Lexus.

popacork
02-07-13, 12:06 PM
I guess this is what Cadillac wants (more generic cars to attract more sales), but they are going in the opposite direction of what drew me to them.
I agree, if the new CTS looks as bland in person, the 2012 CTS is my first and last Cadillac.

Bobby VW
02-07-13, 12:09 PM
I was having a little buyers remorse after picking up my '13 CT'S knowing that there were changing for '14. I can officially say I'm glad with my decision after seeing these photos.

C "T" ess
02-07-13, 12:10 PM
These first pictures are sometimes a red herring. I prefer the styling of the 08-13, but will reserve judgment on the 2014 untill I can walk around the car and see it from all angles.

RippyPartsDept
02-07-13, 12:10 PM
i can understand the negative sentiment voiced here but let's not jump the gun and pass judgement too quickly

... that photo is from a really bad angle

tinman
02-07-13, 12:15 PM
Often the color makes a huge difference in looks. Black will look better perhaps. While we have to all agree that seeing the vehicle in person is way better than a spy picture, with the information at hand this thing is ugly and a real turnoff.

TheShadow
02-07-13, 12:24 PM
and I would add, and see "exclusive" spy photos of front and back from a car with the same color in both pictures... :stirpot:

snofun3
02-07-13, 01:02 PM
I wanted a sporty car that is fun to drive May have to go look at MB or Lexus.

HUH? You're looking in the wrong place then. Even the new "sportier" Lexus really aren't, and an E350 is a glorified European taxi. The Lexus is still a car for women and old men.

I got a Jag XF and while I figured I was going from the frying pan to the fire after my 08's demonstrated "reliability", but it's been great. Oh, and fast (385hp 5L), and very, very sexy. Try one.

tinman
02-07-13, 01:25 PM
Agree with the Jag.

I will get an Audi way before MB.

Lexus is not in my vocabulary.

I will probably get a Porsche for a garage queen and continue to drive either my CTS or A6 into the ground as a daily driver.

snofun3
02-07-13, 01:27 PM
Agree with the Jag.

I will get an Audi way before MB.

Lexus is not in my vocabulary.

I will probably get a Porsche for a garage queen and continue to drive either my CTS or A6 into the ground as a daily driver.

A6 = thumbs-up. A5 = two thumbs up.

mightypizu
02-07-13, 02:07 PM
This is not your fathers cadillac, it's your grandfathers. :)

BreakingThrough
02-07-13, 02:22 PM
These first pictures are sometimes a red herring. I prefer the styling of the 08-13, but will reserve judgment on the 2014 untill I can walk around the car and see it from all angles.

OP here...I posted this link as I was curious to see others' reactions. I too was disappointed with the look of the rear from that Jalopnik post. BUT as C"T"ess and Rippy said, the photos are grainy and from a bad angle, and the front looks very promising. I've noticed that from certain angles even our gen of CTS can look a bit awkward, so like a few others have said I'll wait for a combo of GM "star shots," live shots from the NYC show, and seeing the car in person before I make a final decision.

For some reason I think the front end of this thing is gonna look MEAN. And I'm also very happy to see visual confirmation of the 3.6TT engine.

Jailtime
02-07-13, 02:28 PM
Get rid of the hideous integrated exhaust outlets.

928S
02-07-13, 02:29 PM
Looks like the little Cadillac ATS is going to be sole successor to our beloved 2nd gen CTS.
Oh well, I need to lose about 15 pounds anyway...lol

jurzdevil
02-07-13, 02:32 PM
a better photo will certainly bring out the finer detail however, i don't like the step/taper present on the trunk of the ATS and XTS. even this grainy spy shot confirms that the CTS will have this style. its going to be tough to put up with since it looks like the front and interior will be stellar.

i am still concerned about powertrain though. i was let down when they only offered the 6 speed with the 2.0T in the ATS and i have a feeling i am about to be let down again. what are the odds the TT V6 will come with a manual transmission?

Merge
02-07-13, 02:34 PM
LOL..It looks like $hit!
Nothing new for GM.

Cadillac Cust Svc
02-07-13, 03:38 PM
My attention was just brought to the thread, and I'm sorry but I don't have any future CTS details to share with you all at this time. (I just double checked, to be sure.) I'm recording your feedback so far, however, where your comments can be viewed by the appropriate GM teams! And please don't hesitate to email me whenever you would like me to double check my resources for updated information.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

MoFex
02-07-13, 03:55 PM
Looks like the little Cadillac ATS is going to be sole successor to our beloved 2nd gen CTS.
Oh well, I need to lose about 15 pounds anyway...lol

Second that .......

including the 15lb ;)

GProdigy
02-07-13, 03:56 PM
front looks good...the rear seems lazy.

The license plate area is too wide..the rear needs more vertical and slanted lines....

needs to feel more like "audacity in motion"

CTSVKINGWAGON
02-07-13, 04:21 PM
My attention was just brought to the thread, and I'm sorry but I don't have any future CTS details to share with you all at this time. (I just double checked, to be sure.) I'm recording your feedback so far, however, where your comments can be viewed by the appropriate GM teams! And please don't hesitate to email me whenever you would like me to double check my resources for updated information.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

Please, get our feedback to them as quickly as possible, so they can fix that awful rear end as quickly as possible. For the sake of Cadillac and all of it's loyal fans...

MoFex
02-07-13, 04:36 PM
Please, get our feedback to them as quickly as possible, so they can fix that awful rear end as quickly as possible. For the sake of Cadillac and all of it's loyal fans...

I am sure it is too late for that. We can only hope that the photos are not representative....

popacork
02-07-13, 04:37 PM

Looks like GM is trying to develop a new fan base which is bad for us formerly loyal ones.

tinman
02-07-13, 04:48 PM
And if they don't come out with a coupe and wagon in the ATS then there will be lots of defectors.

CTSCHICK
02-07-13, 04:59 PM
I like the front but dont like the generic sides , rear and shape of the roof it still reminds of the same shape car but in different size Sedans with slightly different fronts like the Audi a4,5,6's that basically all like the same car to most people..

The_Judge
02-07-13, 05:34 PM
It's like seeing an old girlfriend who once was hot but now is not.

CaddyFanFL
02-07-13, 05:37 PM
It's like seeing an old girlfriend who once was hot but now is not.

Well...her face is still hot but when she turns around...:crying:

rchern
02-07-13, 05:51 PM
I think they brought out the brain trust from the Catera and Cimarron to work on the current generation of cars.

gohawks63
02-07-13, 06:25 PM
One thing just came to mind. A lot of us owners have stated how much we love the angular shape but I just realized that since I've had my coupe quite a few people in parking lots and such have walked up to me and told me how they loved my car. I've had a lot of cars but I can't remember anyone approaching me to tell me how much they liked my car. Those people might have been potential Cadillac customers. I hope for the employees of Cadillac that for every customer like me who is disappointed with the style and sniffing around elsewhere, there are 2 people who are looking at the new style and saying how much they love it.

I am right there with you. I have never owned a car that has resulted in the amount of unsolicited comments I have gotten on my coupe. Whether it be a thumbs up while driving down the road, or people approaching me while filling up at the gas station.

----------

front looks good...the rear seems lazy.

The license plate area is too wide..the rear needs more vertical and slanted lines....

needs to feel more like "audacity in motion"

I agree. I think they mailed it in when it came to the rear and stuck to the XTS design cues.

Tlorenzen
02-07-13, 08:29 PM
I like the looks of my 06 better than this. :( I'm glad Katie is recording the feedback, but it's probably too late. Agreeing with everyone, the front looks great, the back looks....old and boring...I've loved the CTS for its agressive lines and brilliant composure, but it seems like anyone below the age of 100 feels the same about this car.

The comments on the pics of this put up on D3's facebook page are all the same, everyone hates it. Just hoping these are terrible pics, or I will be going somewhere besides Cadillac for my next car after college graduation.

BlGHUMMER
02-07-13, 10:42 PM
This is not sitting to good with me right now. I really want to stay positive and hope that this is just a bad picture, bad angle or maybe even not a good color on the cts. I really don't know. I definitely did not get the same feeling the first time I saw the 08 CTS. I guess I was expecting something with a little more thought put into it. It seems like they just mixed an ats and xts together type of deal. Not very creative and it doesn't seem like much thought was involved at all actually. Besides a few inches in length either way, there doesn't seem like there will even be much of a difference between the ats/cts/xts. I guess I got my hopes up after seeing the pictures of the next generation corvette, I thought we might have been in for something bold and edgy like that. Hopefully the next set of pictures will be more impressive. Trying to stay positive here.

exm22psu
02-07-13, 10:50 PM
I am going to reserve judgment until I see better pictures ... but if this is actually it and the impression doesn't change, A5 here I come!

rchern
02-08-13, 12:44 AM
I am going to reserve judgment until I see better pictures ... but if this is actually it and the impression doesn't change, A5 here I come!That's exactly the car I'm thinking about.

tinman
02-08-13, 10:29 AM
I am currently driving the A4 as a loaner for my A6. It is a stripper and it is a pos. Non-quattro. On the other hand, there was a nice older RS in the showroom in Imola Yellow with a mt. Nice car.

CaddyCTS91
02-08-13, 10:47 AM
This is beyond devastating. I leased a 2011 CTS Sedan brand new at the age of 20 because I fell in love with the overall design of the sedan. Looking at these spy shots, I can tell you that they have gone a step back in terms of exterior design. The Design is WAY too soft now, in comparison to the current CTS. All the young buyers that the CTS ( both generation 1 and 2) have brought to the Cadillac brand will now have to go elsewhere for their next car purchase. Cadillac has made a huge mistake with softening the exterior design, instead of evolving it. I think they could of done something truly remarkable. I am sure the interior has improved though, as well as the quality of the materials used. I am going to hold off my final judgement until I see higher resolution pictures. If it does look anything like the spy shots above, I will be looking elsewhere for my next car purchase. Sad because I was looking to buy a 2014 Cadillac CTS when my current lease ended on my CTS.

MoFex
02-08-13, 11:36 AM
I have read all of the posts and it seems we all have very similar if not the same opinion – we do not like the new design. Most of us stated that Cadillac went backwards, will lose customers and so on. I thought a bit more about it and I think Cadillac made a right decision. Why? First of all we are car enthusiasts; we do care about cars look, performance, handling and many other things.
Unfortunately we are minority, there is only a few of us and Cadillac doesn’t care about us. Even if they lose us that only a few unsold cars.
What they do care about is China – and Chinese do not like edgy design of current CTS and “general public” that does not care either. They designed car for masses…..they want to sell cars in large numbers….so spreadsheet has taken over…..sad but true.
But maybe not all is lost yet. As others said there are other car manufacturers for auto enthusiasts…..we have choices ;) and that’s a good thing![COLOR="Silver"]

----------

tinman
02-08-13, 11:42 AM
ATS-V with 3.6 twin scroll and MT. The new V series. I still want a wagon. Actually, a CTS wagon may be just the ticket as it will cut off that ugly rear end.

RippyPartsDept
02-08-13, 01:15 PM
wagons are so low volume that i doubt we will see them again ... add to that the exclusively low volume of the V-series and there's about a 0% chance of a 3rd Gen CTS-Vagon

BreakingThrough
02-08-13, 01:40 PM
wagons are so low volume that i doubt we will see them again ... add to that the exclusively low volume of the V-series and there's about a 0% chance of a 3rd Gen CTS-Vagon

That's too bad, as it would give them something to put directly against the E-class Estate (which, by the way, I think looks great -- by far my favorite variant of E-class). Let's hope Caddy has one HELL of a coupe/gran coupe/4-door coupe thing up its sleeves for those of us who want some style with our Cadillac.

TrimThis
02-08-13, 02:22 PM
Sorry but I think I may be keeping mine a little longer. The coupe is still the best looking car for the price out there IMHO. I kind of thought GM would have trouble topping the current model and from posts above I'm not alone.

tinman
02-08-13, 02:28 PM

I wonder how many wagons MB sells. I don't see them discontinuing their model. Or Audi. Heck, even Acura came out with a wagon. This is what you have to do to have a complete line of vehicles and keep customers happy with the Badge.

MoFex
02-08-13, 02:59 PM
I wonder how many wagons MB sells. I don't see them discontinuing their model. Or Audi. Heck, even Acura came out with a wagon. This is what you have to do to have a complete line of vehicles and keep customers happy with the Badge.

MB and Audi sell a lot of wagons in Europe......

BEarle
02-08-13, 03:25 PM
Nice! I love that front end it's almost CIELish!

RippyPartsDept
02-08-13, 05:29 PM
MB and Audi sell a lot of wagons in Europe......

:yeah:

we've had a nonV wagon on the lot almost a year!

and by the way, does anyone else think that the general styling (profile, etc) of the coupe make it look like a quarter scale batmobile (the tumbler)??

neuronbob
02-08-13, 06:27 PM
Posting from the V side of the forum:

We have the same general opinion as you guys. Front looks really promising and mean, rear is WTF?

I fell in love with the mean, angular, "get the f out of my way!" look of the current gen CTS at first glance and love it so much I bought a second one two months ago. Turns out I may have made the right decision rather than waiting for the next gen....especially since a 3G V wagon, let alone a stick wagon is not a given and is probably unlikely.

Very disappointed. The current CTS to me looks like an angry sports car forced to shuttle around four doors. It's sharp and angular and looks like it is sucked to the ground. The new one looks looks like an XTS, a four door forced to shuttle around angry old men..

Best statement here. AWESOME. And true! My V sounds like an angry, pissed off beast....that has to carry a wagon hatch.

I have owned almost 15 cars in my 23 years of driving. My new V wagon has attracted the most attention of any car I have ever owned, even more attention than my Honda S2000 and certainly more than my V sedan. EVERY TIME I gas up I can count on someone walking over and asking about the wagon, and when I tell them it's a stick wagon Cadillac, you can just see their eyes light up in desire. I've never seen anything like it. That's the sort of thing Cadillac needs to move cars.

Maybe they need to lure Maximum Bob back from retirement to show them a thing or two about injecting emotion into a car design. He wasn't perfect by any means but there was no doubt he was a passionate car guy, and that led to cars like the current CTS and CTS-V.

My hope is that these are planted spy pics to gin up sentiment among potential customers. If so, hopefully we'll get better pics to get an idea of where the design is really going, or a change.

rchern
02-08-13, 08:13 PM
According to Automobile magazine a Cadillac Vice President said that the 2014 CTS is going to be unveiled at the New York Auto Show which is usually Easter weekend. The way the story reads is that the "next generation" CTS is going to be revealed, not a "prototype". If that's the case, what you see is what you're going to get, or pretty close to it so I would imagine that the CTS is going to look like the ATS and the XTS. I can't see it having a different look. Usually all models look like they have the same bloodline. But, who knows, maybe the things I don't like on the ATS and the XTS will look just right on the CTS. I really don't believe that, I'm just trying to talk myself into it. I want to buy a Cadillac and I want to support American workers but I'm not going to spend 50 grand on a car I don't like.

snofun3
02-08-13, 10:54 PM
Contrary to what some have said here, I just saw an XTS (yes, XTS) ad on TV, full of yupsters and 40-somethings being very cool. I'd find it hard to understand that Caddy isn't targeting that audience if they didn't have 30 seconds full of them. And the CTS is even more in the sights of yuppies than the XTS.

The CTS has been a rousing success because younger people have embraced it, bringing Caddy's average age of ownership down by over a decade, which was a requirement for them, as their clientel was literally dying on them.

If the latest pictures are really representative of the new CTS, Caddy's stepped on its proverbial dick very, very hard.

angelbones
02-09-13, 12:54 AM
I have read all of the posts and it seems we all have very similar if not the same opinion – we do not like the new design. Most of us stated that Cadillac went backwards, will lose customers and so on. I thought a bit more about it and I think Cadillac made a right decision. Why? First of all we are car enthusiasts; we do care about cars look, performance, handling and many other things.
Unfortunately we are minority, there is only a few of us and Cadillac doesn’t care about us. Even if they lose us that only a few unsold cars.
What they do care about is China – and Chinese do not like edgy design of current CTS and “general public” that does not care either. They designed car for masses…..they want to sell cars in large numbers….so spreadsheet has taken over…..sad but true.
But maybe not all is lost yet. As others said there are other car manufacturers for auto enthusiasts…..we have choices ;) and that’s a good thing![COLOR="Silver"]

----------

I understand what you're saying and you may be right, but one part of your statement I found interesting. To paraphrase, they're going to sell more cars despite the fact they are going to lose some present Cadillac customers. Here's the problem if this is Cadillac's thinking. It is VERY shortsighted. Assuming this is true and they sell more cars to the "general public" and China, I think ultimately going in a bland direction is going to ruin Cadillac's reputation. A reputation that has been greatly improved as a result of this generation's CTS. Regarding the 2014 CTS, as one poster put it, "hey that's a great looking Cadillac said NO ONE under 75." In other words, they may sell a few more cars for a few years, but all the younger buyers are once again going to be turned off by Cadillac's offerings, and as evidenced by the many comments on here, people are already talking about the competition. That is a terrible omen for the brand. I count myself as one of the younger skewing buyers (despite my 40ish age), but I don't want to be associated with a brand that other people will say, "Oh you drive a Cadillac, I didn't realize how old you were." Present Cadillac owners will flee the brand, talk crap about it, and then go buy something else. Cadillac can't use this strategy long term. As a final note, did I make it clear that I'll add my vote among the others in order to make it unanimous on here that I do not like the looks of this direction. (I will however reserve final judgment until I see more pictures)

ral1960
02-09-13, 12:56 AM
What I miss most about their recent designs (except the ELR, which dates to 2008-9) is the crisp corners and lines in the side greenhouse. Since everyone is doing the same sloping roofline for aerodynamics, it was about the only way left to be distinctive, and they threw it away.

gohawks63
02-09-13, 01:22 AM
As I have posted on here before, the CTS coupe got me to buy a Cadillac (much less a domestic brand) after owning Acuras for 20 years. Acura lost it's way in the styling department and the dynamic styling of the CTS moved me enough to take a chance even if I was concerned that I might take a risk with reliability.

If they are watering down their styling there is a risk, at least for me, that my CTS will be my first and last Cadillac.

RAB
02-09-13, 01:47 AM
Meanwhile... on the Chinese Cadillac forums they're raving about the upcoming 2014 CTS, and absolutely love the new rear end treatment. :stirpot:

C&C
02-09-13, 05:42 AM
I will defer absolute judgement (maybe others should as well) until you see the new car in 'the flesh'.

Blue CTS
02-09-13, 10:10 AM
I'm already starting to look the other way....currently leasing a '12 Coupe and love it and not really fond of the ATS "basic" look and doubt the ATS Coupe will be as "cool" as the CTS coupe. When this lease is up looks like Goodbye Cadillac.....

MoFex
02-09-13, 11:41 AM
@angelbones
I totally agree with your post. Even though I am almost 57 ;)
Seriously though my wife and I always were looking for cars that are “different”, that “stand out” in terms of look/design but also performance. Of course within our means ;) and the current CTS met all my requirements except reliability…..as you I will reserve my final judgments till the new CTS release, but if ATS it an indication of what to expect I am not optimistic…Cadillac needs to be different….needs to go back to its roots and truly become a “standard of the world” it once was…not only in pointless commercials…

----------

:yeah:

we've had a nonV wagon on the lot almost a year!

and by the way, does anyone else think that the general styling (profile, etc) of the coupe make it look like a quarter scale batmobile (the tumbler)??

I am not surprised. Americans in general do not like wagons. They are not "cool". What is cool are crappy SUV's and trucks ;)

MotownPimp
02-09-13, 01:56 PM
I don't believe it. GM cannot possible F up that bad.

MoFex
02-09-13, 02:13 PM

You never know ;)

snofun3
02-09-13, 02:55 PM

Apparently you haven't checked out the new Malibu. WTF were they thinking.

At least it's consistent. Last in all of the recent comparos.

Sad.

BEarle
02-09-13, 05:03 PM
I agree with some of you regarding the styling. To me I think the front end looks really beautiful, I like the big grill and the almost CIEL front headlamps and fascia. I 100% agree about the rear of the car, it's really plain and boring. The XTS's rear is more stylish than the CTS's. it seams like they have all the styling statements up front and seams to taper off to boring in the back.

angelbones
02-09-13, 05:14 PM
As I have posted on here before, the CTS coupe got me to buy a Cadillac (much less a domestic brand) after owning Acuras for 20 years. Acura lost it's way in the styling department and the dynamic styling of the CTS moved me enough to take a chance even if I was concerned that I might take a risk with reliability.

If they are watering down their styling there is a risk, at least for me, that my CTS will be my first and last Cadillac.

Gohawks, we've had very similar experiences in the types of cars we bought and the timing as well, and once again, I agree completely with your post. My average time of ownership is between 3-6 years so when I'm ready for the next car, I'm afraid I'll be looking elsewhere (unless the ELR price is less than anticipated; at least I'll give Cadillac kudos on the styling of that vehicle). Don't know if I'll just be holding onto my CTS coupe longer or looking at something like I was originally interested in until I was swayed by the CTS styling: the A5. Either way, this may also be my first and last Cadillac. Judging by the thousands of views this has gotten on the short time this post has been on here, I sure hope Cadillac is paying serious attention.

CTSCHICK
02-09-13, 05:24 PM
Meanwhile... on the Chinese Cadillac forums they're raving about the upcoming 2014 CTS, and absolutely love the new rear end treatment. :stirpot:

Yeh dam the Chinese if it wasn't for them Buick probably would have been killed instead of Pontiac

RAB
02-09-13, 05:53 PM
***NEWSFLASH***
Feb 9, 2013
Bowing to intense pressure, GM announced today they will ditch the controversial rear end styling on the upcoming 2014 CTS and proceed with their runner-up design. Specifics weren't provided, however a tipster within GM provided an updated spy image (see below).
Look for the full reveal of the all-new '14 CTS at the 2013 New York International Auto Show in March.

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg195/RAB_2008/2010DTSrear_view_straight_zps89c73d6d.png

:histeric: :rofl:

jeffc83
02-09-13, 05:57 PM
***NEWSFLASH***
Feb 9, 2013
Bowing to intense pressure, GM announced today they will ditch the controversial rear end styling on the upcoming 2014 CTS and proceed with their runner-up design. Specifics weren't provided, however a tipster within GM provided an updated spy image (see below).
Look for the full reveal of the all-new '14 CTS at the 2013 New York International Auto Show in March.

:histeric: :rofl:

Lol, that was good :-)

gohawks63
02-09-13, 06:13 PM
Gohawks, we've had very similar experiences in the types of cars we bought and the timing as well, and once again, I agree completely with your post. My average time of ownership is between 3-6 years so when I'm ready for the next car, I'm afraid I'll be looking elsewhere (unless the ELR price is less than anticipated; at least I'll give Cadillac kudos on the styling of that vehicle). Don't know if I'll just be holding onto my CTS coupe longer or looking at something like I was originally interested in until I was swayed by the CTS styling: the A5. Either way, this may also be my first and last Cadillac. Judging by the thousands of views this has gotten on the short time this post has been on here, I sure hope Cadillac is paying serious attention.

:) great minds think alike.

RAB
02-09-13, 07:16 PM
New sketch (by a contributor at gmauthority.com) of the 2014 CTS based on the two latest Jalopnik spy photos:

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg195/RAB_2008/2014-Cadillac-CTS-Illustrated-582x217_zps2fb6f587.jpg

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2013/02/2014-cadillac-cts-sedan-gets-illustrated/

Blue CTS
02-09-13, 07:25 PM
Come on...they just F'd up with the 2014 Corvette rear end....now the CTS!

rchern
02-09-13, 08:36 PM
I don't believe it. GM cannot possible F up that bad.You cannot believe that GM could F up that bad. They wrote the book on f...ing up. Actually it's not the size of a book as it is more like the size of a set of encyclopiedias.

Tri-SS
02-10-13, 08:59 PM
Get rid of the hideous integrated exhaust outlets.

:yeah: x2
I'd much rather see a couple of nice exhaust tips.

Swallow123
02-11-13, 12:32 AM
I have a 2012 CTS and the seats won't heat up during a remote start and taking it out on the highway makes me feel like I'm driving in a bubble/wind tunnel. By the looks of things, I'm stuck with this "loaf", unless or until I can get help or purchase something else. So, even though the looks of the 2014 are a turnoff, I'd certainly consider it - if they could fix what they build!

Pdabs
02-11-13, 01:27 AM
I have a 2012 CTS and the seats won't heat up during a remote start and taking it out on the highway makes me feel like I'm driving in a bubble/wind tunnel. By the looks of things, I'm stuck with this "loaf", unless or until I can get help or purchase something else. So, even though the looks of the 2014 are a turnoff, I'd certainly consider it - if they could fix what they build!

Yes they do under a certain temperature. The indicator won't light up but seat begins to warm up. The heating element will heat up much faster once your behind puts pressure on the seat. Do some searching this has been discussed many times.

rustybear3
02-11-13, 02:16 AM
Wow....you really expected them to totally retool the CTS to be different from the ATS and XTS? You have no idea of the interior appointments, and your ready to throw the baby out with the bath water. Quite frankly, the CTS sedan design is old and outdated and needed a change...perhaps you guys are more set in your ways than you think. Those sharp angle designs are ANCIENT!! I love the ATS design and dumped my 2008 STS just to buy it, I was so impressed. The handling, performance, interiors, engines, CUE, etc, are such a jump ahead of the older STS and CTS models. I remember having work done on my STS, and I had a CTS loaner.....what a horrible car! The interior was cheap and old fashioned, and the handling was rough and uncomfortable; could hardly wait to get the STS back. Even though i preferred the ATS over the XTS, I think these models are some of the most beautifully designed Cadillacs to date....believe me, other happy Cadillac customers bear this out! CTS sales have slipped for a reason. To each his own. :wave:

Merge
02-11-13, 09:50 AM
This could be it? V?

jurzdevil
02-11-13, 09:56 AM
This could be it? V?

That is someone's photoshop attempt at an ATS-V.

tinman
02-11-13, 10:00 AM
Wow....you really expected them to totally retool the CTS to be different from the ATS and XTS? You have no idea of the interior appointments, and your ready to throw the baby out with the bath water. Quite frankly, the CTS sedan design is old and outdated and needed a change...perhaps you guys are more set in your ways than you think. Those sharp angle designs are ANCIENT!! I love the ATS design and dumped my 2008 STS just to buy it, I was so impressed. The handling, performance, interiors, engines, CUE, etc, are such a jump ahead of the older STS and CTS models. I remember having work done on my STS, and I had a CTS loaner.....what a horrible car! The interior was cheap and old fashioned, and the handling was rough and uncomfortable; could hardly wait to get the STS back. Even though i preferred the ATS over the XTS, I think these models are some of the most beautifully designed Cadillacs to date....believe me, other happy Cadillac customers bear this out! CTS sales have slipped for a reason. To each his own. :wave:
I guess I don't understand your post, rustybear. You state that angular design of our current CTS is ancient, yet the ATS is fresh? I look at the ATS as almost the next gen of the CTS with that design (I like it). Or are you a fan of the new CTS? Hell, I'd just go buy a Lincoln rather than the new CTS (based on these photos) :ill: . Just trying to better understand you.

snofun3
02-11-13, 11:44 AM

CTS sales havce slipped because the car is now6 model years old, which is ancient in car terms.

The ATS I like, the XTS is for the next generation of old-fart owners. Sadly, what brought people like me that had never in a million years considered buying a DTS, STS etc, was the funky styling of the CTS. Now that it's been dumbed down again, it's back to pandering to old-farts apparently. Another marketing blunder by GM.

BreakingThrough
02-11-13, 03:05 PM
I remember having work done on my STS, and I had a CTS loaner.....what a horrible car! The interior was cheap and old fashioned, and the handling was rough and uncomfortable; could hardly wait to get the STS back. Even though i preferred the ATS over the XTS, I think these models are some of the most beautifully designed Cadillacs to date....believe me, other happy Cadillac customers bear this out! CTS sales have slipped for a reason. To each his own. :wave:

Interesting, I had the opposite experience with STS vs. CTS. I had an STS loaner while my CTS was being repaired after a minor fender bender. I found the STS very awkward to drive with an unbelievably cheap interior more fitting of a Chevy than any luxury car. It felt like I was driving around a huge slab-sided square...and I couldn't get over the "dead pedal" that was just a random square in the footwell. It felt as if the body was placed on a chassis that was a different shape than the final car. There was a reason why the STS sold so poorly. On the plus side, the seats were comfy. As you said, to each his own.

The_Judge
02-11-13, 03:13 PM
Interesting, I had the opposite experience with STS vs. CTS. I had an STS loaner while my CTS was being repaired after a minor fender bender. I found the STS very awkward to drive with an unbelievably cheap interior more fitting of a Chevy than any luxury car. It felt like I was driving around a huge slab-sided square...and I couldn't get over the "dead pedal" that was just a random square in the footwell. It felt as if the body was placed on a chassis that was a different shape than the final car. There was a reason why the STS sold so poorly. On the plus side, the seats were comfy. As you said, to each his own.

My thoughts exactly. I thought the STS was a boat out of water, an "old man's car" -- all I needed was a hat! (I'll be 67 in April, so I can say that.)

gohawks63
02-11-13, 03:21 PM
My thoughts exactly. I thought the STS was a boat out of water, an "old man's car" -- all I needed was a hat! (I'll be 67 in April, so I can say that.)

He (Rusty) started a thread on the ATS forum stating that the CTS guys "hate" the new CTS. Interestingly the feedback there is consistent with what has been said here. (Front end looks good, rear is boring)

Below is the response I posted there.

Originally Posted by rustybear3
Here are 2 shots of front end (dark car) and rear end (silver) of the new 2014 CTS. I like it, but most posters on the CTS forum HATE and I mean HATE IT! ....especially the rear end. For whatever reason, they all expected the CTS to be totally different in design (and old fashioned edgy) from the ATS and XTS. What do you guys think?
[/IMG] [/IMG]

http://jalopnik.com/5982278/2014-cad...cts-this-is-it
The feedback you're getting here is consistent with what has been said on the CTS forum.

In your post on that forum, I don't think you were being completely fair about the disappointment.

I don't think anyone there expects a slightly warmed over version of the current model. You also called the existing CTS "horrible". Kind of a harsh comment for a car the arguably redefined the brand. Let's see what people in 5 years say about the current gen ATS. You also called the interior of a CTS loaner "cheap and old fashioned". Again, everyone is entitled to their opinion and maybe there is a difference between what you got as a loaner and the interior of my 2012 Premium Coupe, but i think the interior in my car rivals if not surpasses that of my previous Acura RL. The 2nd gen CTS has been out for 5 years and no one will argue that it is time for it to receive the same love that the ATS and XTS have received. Comparing it to a current ATS and XTS is ridiculous.

The criticism on the CTS boards is Cadillac's decision to soften the "Art & Science" theme primarily to placate the Chinese market. Dynamic styling is what got Cadillac noticed. I can't tell you how many compliments I have gotten on my coupe, whether it be a thumbs up while driving on the freeway, or a group of teenagers stopping dead in their tracks as I pull into a parking spot and then telling me, "that is one SEXY car", or the numerous times I have been approached at a gas station and received compliments. These are all true stories that happened to me. I have never gotten that kind of response from the numerous cars I have owned in the past not to mention hearing that about a Cadillac, and this is still from a car that is technically on an older platform, although the coupe itself has only been out a couple of years.

Everyone there understands that the CTS is due for an update. The concern is that they don't water down the design too much. You can argue that BMW doesn't stray too much design-wise from one model to the next, but Cadillac hasn't developed the street cred yet to rely on the brand reputation. Even Cadillac has come out and said (see my other thread about the ATS coupe) that they will be challenged putting up the CTS against the 5 series.

They are off on the right foot from a performance perspective with the ATS, us CTS owners just hope they don't soften the lines too much, that's all.

RAB
02-11-13, 05:07 PM
:yeah: Very well said gohawks63 - excellent post.

CTSCHICK
02-11-13, 05:19 PM
I have more anticipation for the Chevy SS sedan this week than I do the new CTS now

Mistercoffee2
02-11-13, 05:43 PM
Should we hold out hope that the V will correct the rear?

RippyPartsDept
02-11-13, 05:55 PM
i think you should hold out hope that the rear is misrepresented by that photo

jeffc83
02-11-13, 07:44 PM
:yeah: Very well said gohawks63 - excellent post.

+1 on that...Well put sir!

rustybear3
02-11-13, 08:05 PM
I guess I don't understand your post, rustybear. You state that angular design of our current CTS is ancient, yet the ATS is fresh? I look at the ATS as almost the next gen of the CTS with that design (I like it). Or are you a fan of the new CTS? Hell, I'd just go buy a Lincoln rather than the new CTS (based on these photos) :ill: . Just trying to better understand you.

Very simple...current CTS has very angular design; so did the STS, but not as radical......the ATS,XTS, and now the CTS 2014 have a smoother, more refined look. If you look on the ATS and XTS forums, you'll see that most of us owners love the new look. The angular style of the old models are dated IMO.

----------

He (Rusty) started a thread on the ATS forum stating that the CTS guys "hate" the new CTS. Interestingly the feedback there is consistent with what has been said here. (Front end looks good, rear is boring)

Below is the response I posted there.

Originally Posted by rustybear3
Here are 2 shots of front end (dark car) and rear end (silver) of the new 2014 CTS. I like it, but most posters on the CTS forum HATE and I mean HATE IT! ....especially the rear end. For whatever reason, they all expected the CTS to be totally different in design (and old fashioned edgy) from the ATS and XTS. What do you guys think?
[/IMG] [/IMG]

http://jalopnik.com/5982278/2014-cad...cts-this-is-it
The feedback you're getting here is consistent with what has been said on the CTS forum.

In your post on that forum, I don't think you were being completely fair about the disappointment.

I don't think anyone there expects a slightly warmed over version of the current model. You also called the existing CTS "horrible". Kind of a harsh comment for a car the arguably redefined the brand. Let's see what people in 5 years say about the current gen ATS. You also called the interior of a CTS loaner "cheap and old fashioned". Again, everyone is entitled to their opinion and maybe there is a difference between what you got as a loaner and the interior of my 2012 Premium Coupe, but i think the interior in my car rivals if not surpasses that of my previous Acura RL. The 2nd gen CTS has been out for 5 years and no one will argue that it is time for it to receive the same love that the ATS and XTS have received. Comparing it to a current ATS and XTS is ridiculous.

The criticism on the CTS boards is Cadillac's decision to soften the "Art & Science" theme primarily to placate the Chinese market. Dynamic styling is what got Cadillac noticed. I can't tell you how many compliments I have gotten on my coupe, whether it be a thumbs up while driving on the freeway, or a group of teenagers stopping dead in their tracks as I pull into a parking spot and then telling me, "that is one SEXY car", or the numerous times I have been approached at a gas station and received compliments. These are all true stories that happened to me. I have never gotten that kind of response from the numerous cars I have owned in the past not to mention hearing that about a Cadillac, and this is still from a car that is technically on an older platform, although the coupe itself has only been out a couple of years.

Everyone there understands that the CTS is due for an update. The concern is that they don't water down the design too much. You can argue that BMW doesn't stray too much design-wise from one model to the next, but Cadillac hasn't developed the street cred yet to rely on the brand reputation. Even Cadillac has come out and said (see my other thread about the ATS coupe) that they will be challenged putting up the CTS against the 5 series.

They are off on the right foot from a performance perspective with the ATS, us CTS owners just hope they don't soften the lines too much, that's all.

Again, I'm just surprised by the quick judgment and angry comments by CTS owners on the new CTS design; there was no doubt in my mind that it would be similar to the ATS and XTS in concept and form.....and it is! In no way shape or form does the XTS or ATS resemble the STS, older CTS or DTS for that matter, and I for one didn't expect it too. I too have had plenty of complements on both my 2008 STS and 2006 Eldorado in the past......I even had a lady follow me to a garden center with her husband just to inquire about how nice my car looked on the road and what it was. Since I've purchased my ATS, several times (and I'm not exaggerating) I had people remark and compliment me on my car....more than any Cadillac I've ever owned! People are really impressed with the new design; both old and young. Your CTS Coupe is a lot different than the standard CTS design and I'm glad you enjoy your car. No reason you shouldn't stick with it. The rear end of the XTS and ATS isn't all that different, yet I've yet to see a post on any of those forums about how they think those backs ends are boring;and the new CTS back end is virtually identical to the XTS rear end. I'm sorry, I really thought the CTS sedan was too angular in design and I liked the softer look of the STS; hence that's why I bought the STS....but as much as I liked my STS, it couldn't compared to the ATS. Reread the harsh comments posters have made on the new CTS; tell me I wasn't exaggerating that they hate it. These judgements all based on 2 pictures; a car no one has seen in person yet!

gohawks63
02-11-13, 11:08 PM
Very simple...current CTS has very angular design; so did the STS, but not as radical......the ATS,XTS, and now the CTS 2014 have a smoother, more refined look. If you look on the ATS and XTS forums, you'll see that most of us owners love the new look. The angular style of the old models are dated IMO.

Yet when you posted the spy shots on the ATS forum, the consensus there seems to match the same sentiment expressed in this forum.

MoFex
02-12-13, 08:40 AM
Yet when you posted the spy shots on the ATS forum, the consensus there seems to match the same sentiment expressed in this forum.

Looks like rustybear3 v. the rest ;)

CRT_CTS4
02-12-13, 09:36 AM
While in some ways I am saddened to see the some of the angular styling go by the wayside. Cadillac wants to be a mass market luxury brand, like for example, BMW. Look at what BMW has done with each of their 3, 5 and 7 Series, all have gotten softer. Don't get me wrong, I love the way the current CTS looks, but your average German and Japanese luxury car buyer do not. If you like edgy, buy an ATS, it's really not that much smaller and it's pricing is structured closer to the 2008 CTS. I had an opportunity to check out the new ATS4 3.6 and the interior, from the seats, to the dash material is quite impressive. The new CTS is moving up market (higher MSRP), but I'll reserve my full opinion until GM actually launches the new model.

Mr. Frontier
02-12-13, 11:55 AM
The lead designer should be fired. Why would you pull your brand back to 2001 with a DTS rear? Are you even trying or are you in a tenured position after a real designer at the company brought the brand back to life. Don't smother yourself Cadillac. It's not looking good.

GrayGhost
02-12-13, 04:31 PM
I think it's the rear tail lights that really ruin it...they are short and stubby. Nothing like the tall sleak looking tail lights of the current CTS, which are reminiscent of the old Cadillacs with tail fins. It's those retro styling influences that let you know it's a Cadillac when you're a quarter mile away. I also agree with another poster that the license plate section is too wide. I really hope they change the rear design a bit. I can't see enough of the front to make a decision. In any case, I think the new BMW's are beautiful compared to what I've seen of this. I expected the XTS to be a little boring, but not the ATS and CTS, which is what they are in my opinion. :(

gohawks63
02-12-13, 07:09 PM
I think it's the rear tail lights that really ruin it...they are short and stubby. Nothing like the tall sleak looking tail lights of the current CTS, which are reminiscent of the old Cadillacs with tail fins. It's those retro styling influences that let you know it's a Cadillac when you're a quarter mile away. I also agree with another poster that the license plate section is too wide. I really hope they change the rear design a bit. I can't see enough of the front to make a decision. In any case, I think the new BMW's are beautiful compared to what I've seen of this. I expected the XTS to be a little boring, but not the ATS and CTS, which is what they are in my opinion. :(

The rear license plate section is wide to accommodate European tags.

z06bigbird
02-13-13, 03:27 AM
Don't the Mercedes have tons of electrical problems like the BMWs? The word on the street is that the mechanics cannot keep up with the problems. (My comment is based on several comments from M B owners.) (Hearsay??)

meniisoc
02-13-13, 06:59 AM
@ (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/member.php?u=68272) gohawks63

(http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/member.php?u=68272)
The rear license plate section is wide to accommodate European tags.

That would be the most weird design choice ever.

1) Most european countries offer us size license plates for imported us cars.
2) Cadillac sales in Europe are non existent, and will always be that way. No European in their right mind would ever trade their luxury German car for a Cadillac. The quality is still not on the same level (the xts interior comes close but doesn't surpass or match the Germans, and the sheet metal and paint used is no way near the German quality), and the resale value of a Cadillac in Europe resembles the sale numbers, so is also non existent.

When i first saw the back of the xts, i thought it was ugly and hideous.
But that was nothing compared to the atrocity they have designed to be the back of the new cts.

If the new Escalade is at the same level of disappointment as the new xts and cts are to me, i will switch brands and never look back.

Superbenzin
02-13-13, 08:00 AM

Sorry, this is not correct. In the EU this is the standard size ( in cm ):

No exception for imported car`s !

Only for Classic ( US- ) Cars you can have smaller sizes :

The " H " is for Historic car

Best Regards

Heinz

PontiacV8
02-13-13, 08:37 AM
...a little offtopic, but...

I don't think so...and there are exceptions sometimes... (...das bezweifel ich, Ausnahmen gibts immer wieder...) ;)

...not only classic us cars...my STS got a 28 x 20 cm...my TA has a us size license plate...
http://i50.tinypic.com/6j3ptk.jpg

Superbenzin
02-13-13, 09:34 AM
Congratulations PontiacV8

off topic :
Generous licensing authorities in Niedersachsen !
Here in NRW impossible or only after demonstration
and clarification by an expert, whether the reconstruction on Cars
reasonable anyway and then only for rear, forward must
be an EU licence plate.

Best Regards

So großzügige Zulassungsstellen in Niedersachsen ?
Bei uns in NRW nahezu unmöglich oder nur nach Vorführung
und Klärung durch einen Sachverständigen, ob der Umbau am KFZ
zumutbar ist und dann sowieso nur für hinten, vorne muss
ein EU-Kennzeichen hin.
2005 an meinem Mustang ging das noch mit Kleinkraftradkennz., beim
2010 Camaro haben die das rigoros abgelehnt, beim Caddillac paßt
es halt.

Grüsse Heinz

gohawks63
02-13-13, 12:15 PM

That would be the most weird design choice ever.

2) Cadillac sales in Europe are non existent, and will always be that way. No European in their right mind would ever trade their luxury German car for a Cadillac. The quality is still not on the same level (the xts interior comes close but doesn't surpass or match the Germans, and the sheet metal and paint used is no way near the German quality), and the resale value of a Cadillac in Europe resembles the sale numbers, so is also non existent.

When i first saw the back of the xts, i thought it was ugly and hideous.
But that was nothing compared to the atrocity they have designed to be the back of the new cts.

If the new Escalade is at the same level of disappointment as the new xts and cts are to me, i will switch brands and never look back.

Europe isn't the only consideration. China is a big market for GM too.

I personally wouldn't call the XTS or Cadillac's new design direction hideous, I just think they have gone a bit "less bold" in their designs. Then again the Germans and Lexus can hardly be considered bold either. I just personally like cars that are unique. I was drawn to the CTS and especially the coupe because there is nothing else quite like it on the road. Now I'm afraid that the new design direction will cause Cadillac's to blend in with everything else.

RAB
02-13-13, 04:09 PM
Latest photo of the 2014 CTS (circled in red) without camouflage, undergoing winter driving tests.
Obviously difficult/impossible to see much detail. We may see further leaked photos as the reveal date approaches.

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg195/RAB_2008/k-bigpic_zpsd9be8331.jpg

http://jalopnik.com/cadillac-accidentally-leaks-the-2014-cts-on-its-own-fac-151057844

BEarle
02-13-13, 05:52 PM
To me, the ATS was disappointing in terms of styling. The XTS would be perfect if the hood was a little longer instead of the stubby look ( I know it's stubby because of the front wheel drive) and if they tweaked the roofline a little bit. The XTS is beautiful from the front and back it's the side view that ruins it. The ELR is absolutely gorgeous and they did a great job with that design. The new CTS looks awesome from the front (as I can see in the picture) but they should of put the XTS rear on it with the fin taillights. The back of the new CTS looks just like the first generation CTS. The other thing I do not like is the stance of the rear, one thing about the BMW 5 is that it has a great stance...

angelbones
02-13-13, 11:08 PM
To me, the ATS was disappointing in terms of styling. The XTS would be perfect if the hood was a little longer instead of the stubby look ( I know it's stubby because of the front wheel drive) and if they tweaked the roofline a little bit. The XTS is beautiful from the front and back it's the side view that ruins it. The ELR is absolutely gorgeous and they did a great job with that design. The new CTS looks awesome from the front (as I can see in the picture) but they should of put the XTS rear on it with the fin taillights. The back of the new CTS looks just like the first generation CTS. The other thing I do not like is the stance of the rear, one thing about the BMW 5 is that it has a great stance...

Well said Bearle, as that echoes my thoughts exactly on the recent Caddys as well. I've been trying to figure the right words for these spy photos of the new CTS. Although I'm a coupe man, this generation (2008-2013) CTS whether it be the sedan or coupe just has a great stance to it. They helped defined sporty luxury with this model and its stance really helps in that look. This gen has a unique look and I like that they don't look like German cars but are an excellent alternative to the German cars. Looks wise, the BMW, Audi, and Mercs all have appealing features but they have a German look to it (that's not a negative thing, as the same can be said for Lexus, Acura, Infiniti). Cadillac, with the CTS seemed to bridge the gap between a distinctly American car, but filled with no-nonsense Germanness and, yes, Japanese reliability. I just don't want Cadillac to screw it up that's all.

rustybear3
02-14-13, 12:06 AM
I get it...you all hate the back end. But the front end is somewhat puzzling to me (even though I like it). Below the ATS looking headlamp assembly, is a J shaped metal/led type trim that curves to the left. Am I perceiving it wrong?

BEarle
02-14-13, 10:37 AM
They are taking design cues from the CIEL concept. The front end is almost all CIEL, the way the headlights curve and the upright big grill etc. they should of added design from the CIEL rear which I think is the most beautiful rear I have ever seen on a car.

meniisoc
02-14-13, 10:56 AM
@ (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/member.php?u=182567)Superbenzin (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/member.php?u=182567)

Sorry, this is not correct. In the EU this is the standard size ( in cm ):

No exception for imported car`s !

Can you explain me then, how can i have a 1992 seville and a 2008 sts and a 2012 escalade with us size license plates in the netherlands in my garage when i'm completely wrong?
Is the 2012 escalade a classic import car?
And the other 2008 sts and 7 other 2012 escalades in my company, all classic imports?

Ever looked at the tiny italian license plates?

ral1960
02-14-13, 11:59 AM
2) Cadillac sales in Europe are non existent, and will always be that way. No European in their right mind would ever trade their luxury German car for a Cadillac. The quality is still not on the same level
It wouldn't make any difference if the Cadillac was much better, the Germans aren't going to buy non-German luxury cars in even triple digit numbers.

I saw the results of a survey of German car owners several years ago. The Mercedes was rated as most desired car but with the worst ownership experience.

tinman
02-14-13, 12:14 PM
I guess I am done passing (theoretical) judgement on the new model UNTIL I can see one up close and personal.

Superbenzin
02-15-13, 10:12 AM
@ (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/member.php?u=182567)Superbenzin (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/member.php?u=182567)

Can you explain me then, how can i have a 1992 seville and a 2008 sts and a 2012 escalade with us size license plates in the netherlands in my garage when i'm completely wrong?
Is the 2012 escalade a classic import car?
And the other 2008 sts and 7 other 2012 escalades in my company, all classic imports?

Ever looked at the tiny italian license plates?

Hello..

...and please calm down. I hope I didn't offend you.:cheers:

The standard licence plate in the EU is as i have shown.

The netherlands startet in 2000 with the EU-standard and has the same size 103902

Italy starts in 1999 with the EU-standard 103903

GM had to change the rear of the EU-Camaro because of the licence plate
( and the color of the lights ) and not just for fun :

US-Style

EU-Style

Exceptions in other EU states, however, are possible, but in Germany it is very strictly.

...and ... there are always individual cases, espacially in other EU-states, may be also in Germany.

Why ??? Relationships or money ??? I don`t know :canttalk:

Best regards

Heinz

tkustron
02-15-13, 10:13 AM
After seeing these it just reassures me i did good getting a 13 coupe. Since i dont like the new styling on the ats at all and they prob wont make a cts coupe again.

tinman
02-15-13, 10:42 AM
No one is offended, Superbenzin.:D

MoFex
02-15-13, 11:03 AM
Wow! The European Camaro a$$ looks awful!

jeffc83
02-15-13, 01:20 PM
Wow! The European Camaro a$$ looks awful!

It does but I do like the taillights! Love that euro look...

MoFex
02-15-13, 01:47 PM
It does but I do like the taillights! Love that euro look...

That's the part I do not like most............too busy........

jeffc83
02-15-13, 04:01 PM
That's the part I do not like most............too busy........

It probably is me because I'm just getting sick of the red taillights...lol. Heck, I love the CTS clear euro taillights too:D

HurstGN
02-19-13, 01:27 PM
EU-Style

Does this a$$ make my plate look wide? :yup::usflag:

is250sp
02-19-13, 03:16 PM
Here's my 2 cent...

I've always owned Japanese/German cars. Never in a million years would I ever consider purchasing a Cadillac until I saw the CTS coupe graced the cover of an auto mag. It was love at first sight. I didn't even care if it had any personality..... much like a Victoria Secret super model. That car truly emphasized the "Art" in "Art & Science". I am sad to say the new CTS is all "Science" and little "Art". This will be my first and last Cadillac.

Black'10CTS4
02-21-13, 01:13 AM
Why would they model the rear end to look similar to the XTS? The XTS targets an older customer base, this CTS will not attract new customers, it will only cannibalize XTS sales.

Cadillac did something nobody thought was possible, they brought the brand back by giving us new and exciting models. This is a monumental step backwards for them, the back end is almost indiscernible from a car that is already a couple years old.

I am in my 30's and the current CTS is the perfect size for me. The ATS is too small and the XTS is too big and 'old person' for me. In Cadillac's obsessive desire to copy the Germans, I wonder if it ever occurred to them that if they kept focusing on putting out new, exciting, and innovative cars, eventually, the Germans would start to copy Cadillac!

BEarle
02-21-13, 12:18 PM
Speaking of the ATS, I sat in one the other day and couldn't believe how small it was! The CTS is a nice size but still a little tight for me. This generation should be a perfect size...

popacork
02-21-13, 12:47 PM
Speaking of the ATS, I sat in one the other day and couldn't believe how small it was!

I agree. I test drove an ATS a month ago, and it was too small for my tastes, so I ended-up getting a CTS which is just right.

caddad08
02-21-13, 02:16 PM
Ouch! the back end looks like it started out well but then someone said "we need more trunk space" so they bumped it up a couple of inches so it looks added on and soft! Not for me!

DTS man33
02-22-13, 02:33 PM
I never really post on the CTS forum, just DTS and XTS. I guess most of you haven't been reading what GM/Cadillac has been saying about the new CTS. They said a few months back that the new car would not be as edgey and more smoothed out then the current CTS. I do agree with alot of you that the rear looks awfull bland. It looks like a 2000 to 05 Deville IMO. But I think the rears of the new ATS/XTS look like crap anyway. Cadillac needs to get rid of one backup light on the bottom of the bumper setup. It looks assine and has very little style to it. I just hope they change things up with the new flagship. So far all the XTS looks like a bigger ATS and so far from what we see the CTS looks like a bigger ATS. But maybe I will change my opinion when I see it at the NY auto show.

70eldo
02-26-13, 01:56 PM
Like anyone else mentioned, I agree the rear end looks like DTS. And that is a bad thing.

Kooly
03-06-13, 09:38 AM
Not impressed at all with the 2014. Going to stick with my 2010 cts for as long as it lasts.