: Rear tie rods - video?

FuzzyLogic
02-05-13, 04:53 PM
Does anyone have a GoPro (or equivalent) and the ability to point it at the rear tie rods to see if there's any flex in them during hard acceleration and cornering? If so, what are the chances that you might be able to put up a video?

RyRidesMotoX
02-05-13, 09:20 PM
I'll try it out tomorrow on the way to work.

FuzzyLogic
02-05-13, 10:43 PM
I'll try it out tomorrow on the way to work.

Much obliged!

RyRidesMotoX
02-06-13, 07:52 PM
I am trying to edit in a little brightness right now cuz there isn't enough light really. You want this thing uploaded to YouTube or emailed?

silentwig
02-06-13, 08:21 PM
I am trying to edit in a little brightness right now cuz there isn't enough light really. You want this thing uploaded to YouTube or emailed?
youtubes for all to see please

RyRidesMotoX
02-06-13, 09:01 PM
Word, youtube for all... Apparently when you don't plug in your laptop and the battery dies, you have to start the whole damn thing over... I'll try to have it up within the hour

EDIT: It's really weird watching the car from this angle. The video camera was stuck to the gas tank because the sticky mounts I have wouldn't stick well to the frame, and I didn't want to lose the camera half way down the road. I'm not sure what everyone is looking for but I am pretty aggressive around the corners and I did a 60-100mph ish pull to see what would happen. The video isn't long because I have a rather short commute. If you want a different angle or whatever let me know. I may try to duct tap a flashlight under there if I have to do it again for some better lighting.

FuzzyLogic
02-06-13, 09:18 PM

Youtube, please. Feel free to make it all kinds of ugly--all I'd really like to be able to see is whether there's any flex in the tie rod. If it bows under compressive load, that's a great reason to upgrade to the BMR tie rods. There might also be a side-to-side motion due to the rubber bushings in the tie rod, but that's going to be difficult to detect. Even a small deflection can throw your camber angle off quite a bit, giving you uncontrolled launches or unpredictable cornering.

RyRidesMotoX
02-06-13, 09:37 PM
Ok here it is. I tried my best but I think I will try to redo it tomorrow on the way to work. I can't do it tonight on the way home because it's going to be dark at midnight lol. Also I don't know much about video editing so I may have just messed it up worse by trying to adjust the brightness... BUT I was able to flip it so you can look at it right side up when its on the car LOL thats how I roll, trying to make it easier on you guys haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dnj5Hk9qriA&feature=youtu.be

runsfromdacops
02-07-13, 02:06 AM
i cant tell if the toe arm is flexing but the sub frame sure is. do you have stock bushings on that thing
?

RyRidesMotoX
02-07-13, 03:17 AM
yea stock bushings... the angle is pretty poor, I'm gonna try it from the back looking forward tomorrow. There just isn't much good stuff to mount to on there.

The problem with the GoPro is that you can't see where its pointed and I dont have the rear LCD screen so I kinda had to guess what was getting recorded. You can see it kinda from where the camera is mounted but the lighting is horrible.

FuzzyLogic
02-07-13, 06:50 AM
http://image.gmhightechperformance.com/f/tech/ghtp_1301_improving_the_2004_2005_cts_v_rear_diffe rentials/41443322+pinline_block/ghtp-1301-02-improving-the-2004-2005-cts-v-rear-differentials-trailing-arm-toe-rod-and-more.jpg

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/bmrfabarms/BMR%20Fabrication%20Arms_files/image007.jpg

Thanks for trying, but you're trying to capture the thing pictured above. The second picture is a comparison of the stock part and the BMR part. Note how the OD of the tubing is doubled and the rubber bushings have been replaced with ball joints.

RyRidesMotoX
02-07-13, 07:42 AM
Yea sorry fuzzy... Its just hard to get light up there... I thought we could see it better with the angle I had but I guess not. I'll try again tomorrow on the way to work. I have a little led flashlight in the garage I'll duct tape up there. We shall see what's up then

FuzzyLogic
02-07-13, 08:01 AM
Yea sorry fuzzy... Its just hard to get light up there... I thought we could see it better with the angle I had but I guess not. I'll try again tomorrow on the way to work. I have a little led flashlight in the garage I'll duct tape up there. We shall see what's up then

I really appreciate the help. If it turns out that there's a lot of play in those tie rods, I'll put together a group buy on the BMR parts or bug Killernoodle again about making them.

runsfromdacops
02-07-13, 02:19 PM
Just a heads up, im about to make a set for my car and If they turn out good I could make a few more. It looks like theres only 150$ish in parts to make them

FuzzyLogic
02-07-13, 07:21 PM
Just a heads up, im about to make a set for my car and If they turn out good I could make a few more. It looks like theres only 150$ish in parts to make them

Adjustability is key. The BMR CTS-V set is a PITA to adjust. Look at some of their better parts for inspiration. Like this, but with ball joint ends:

http://autoagenda.com/uploads/images/967/tr003_image1_large__large.jpg

runsfromdacops
02-07-13, 08:26 PM
they would be super easy to make. as long as you used a reverse thread rod end on one side you u can back off both jam nuts and twist the bar to adjust. im pretty sure thats how the bmr ones are made.
i plan on making mine out of some cromalloy i have laying around form our hydroplane

Sigfod
02-07-13, 09:32 PM
they would be super easy to make. as long as you used a reverse thread rod end on one side you u can back off both jam nuts and twist the bar to adjust. im pretty sure thats how the bmr ones are made.
i plan on making mine out of some cromalloy i have laying around form our hydroplane

Hydroplane?

runsfromdacops
02-07-13, 10:58 PM
Yeah I work on the GP-55 crew. She make about 1800hp on alcohol and 17 psi. I can make a thread about the boay if you guys want more info

Sigfod
02-08-13, 08:43 AM
Yeah I work on the GP-55 crew. She make about 1800hp on alcohol and 17 psi. I can make a thread about the boay if you guys want more info
Yes Please

barrok69
02-08-13, 10:21 AM
Yeah I work on the GP-55 crew. She make about 1800hp on alcohol and 17 psi. I can make a thread about the boat if you guys want more info

Very cool ! I go to the races all the time in Detroit and San Diego and have met Scott a few times all the way back from when he was driving Mr. Pringle!

Post up some pics of your new tie rods when you get them done! I'd be down for a set.

FuzzyLogic
02-08-13, 12:18 PM
Not to be all on-topic or anything, but I'd still love to see that updated video, once we dig ourselves out of the snow. ;)

V for victory
02-10-13, 11:32 AM
Yes Please, "I have a fever and its needs more Video" of our cars in motion, mine is put away for its long winter nap and I miss her badly. LOL

Fuzzy, How are you guys making it up there, did you get the two or three feet of snow?

FuzzyLogic
02-10-13, 01:21 PM
Fuzzy, How are you guys making it up there, did you get the two or three feet of snow?

We got somewhere between 12-14 inches of snow near the coast. I haven't had time to take the Forgestar F14 w/ Ventus V12 summer tires off the car yet, but thus far, I've had only minor problems driving because the snow has been so light this year.

RyRidesMotoX
02-10-13, 05:16 PM
Sorry guys I'll get a video going today on the way to work.

xbladr
02-10-13, 10:40 PM
Can't wait to see this video... We got somewhere between 2 1/2 to 3 feet here in southern NH

V for victory
02-10-13, 11:16 PM
Can't wait to see this video... We got somewhere between 2 1/2 to 3 feet here in southern NH

Man I jealous, I just got back from Snowshoe WV for a week of boarding / skiing with the wifey, came home to only 4-5 inches yesterday. Wish we got crushed like that.

nikdsctsv
02-11-13, 11:50 AM
Ha! Just moved to Texas from NY! Enjoy that snow fellas! I will not miss it!

sssnake
02-11-13, 04:05 PM
Man I jealous, I just got back from Snowshoe WV for a week of boarding / skiing with the wifey, came home tqo only 4-5 inches yesterday. Wish we got crushed like that.

Luv snowshoe that was my first try at boarding.

Very interested in the vid as well. I've been putting off rear bushings for a while so that I can get most of it done at once.