: G force chip for 2007 DTS

BlueAngel#07
02-05-13, 03:38 PM
Anyone have a g force chip or any other type of performance chip in there North Star? I got one and don't know if I should install it. Anybody?

Rolex
02-05-13, 04:35 PM
What model and year car do you have?

CadillacLuke24
02-05-13, 05:56 PM
These chips "work" by fooling the MAF into thinking the air inflow into the engine is lower than it is. As a result, the engine dumps more fuel into the combustion chambers. The only thing these chips do is lighten your wallet via buying the chip and worsening your gas mileage.

SUPER LAC DEVILLE
02-05-13, 06:07 PM
These chips "work" by fooling the MAF into thinking the air inflow into the engine is lower than it is. As a result, the engine dumps more fuel into the combustion chambers. The only thing these chips do is lighten your wallet via buying the chip and worsening your gas mileage.

I asked this same question months ago... Haven't heard or seen any different answer... EVER

CTSCHICK
02-05-13, 07:07 PM
The ones that trick the Maf or IAT sensor increase the timing by tricking the car to think more air is entering the engine than there actually is making the the cars computer dump more fuel than needed while cruising around..
Most cars the factory tune is already set rich to burn off pollutants hence the usual power & fuel mileage gains with a cold air kit or real tune that leans it out a little bit..
I was taught to never use any of the chips and canned tunes other than an actual dyno tune with proper air/fuel ratio's being read and adjusted accordingly..

Submariner409
02-05-13, 07:44 PM
I think he has a late (2007 ???) DTS. I don't believe there's any such thing as a "chip" for these.

BlueAngel#07, Please update your profile and login with your car, year, model, maybe mileage and approximate location. it sure makes diagnosis and advice easier.

The $65 "chip" (which is really a 25 cent resistor in a cutesy box with connectors) offsets IAT to "fool" the PCM into dumping more fuel - richer mixture - into the air/fuel mix. As posted here and throughout CF, they don't work........... and the FWD setups are quite different from the RWD cars.

For the FWD cars with a divorced MAF (clamped into the intake air duct) the connector is a 5-pin arrangement - 3 pins monitor the heated airflow monitor resistors and 2 pins monitor the IAT thermistor (the little black bead in the edge of the MAF bore)(Thermistor: a resistor which changes value as a function of temperature).

CTSCHICK, Not sure about your 3.6 RWD car, but the "timing" in the FWD Northstar PCM controlled cars is pretty touchy - because of the new Northstar combustion chamber design there's not much advance available - they run about 34 degrees BTDC maximum and that drops back to 14 to 20 degrees BTDC under max power demands. No matter what octane fuels you use, these PCM's will not add extra advance to take advantage of the slower burn times offered by high octane fuels.

BlueAngel#07
02-05-13, 08:01 PM
I thought as much. G force says its actually designed for my car. ( which is a 2007 dts with 67000 on it. You brought up a good point about the dyno. Wondering where I can get it done now.

Submariner409
02-05-13, 08:11 PM
Please update your profile. Please.

The "dyno tune" referred to involves running the car - on a dyno - while altering fuel and timing curves to achieve best power at various car/engine/transmission speeds. I don't believe that our FWD fixed PCM program cars have that sort of variable tuning luxury.

I sure would like to be proven wrong, especially for a 2002.5 STS !

(G Force used to market a "chip" for my car. It didn't work and it disappeared ..................)
EDIT: Some of us have fooled around with inserting oddball resistors into the IAT circuit. That didn't work, either.

Here's another money pit that doesn't work -

BlueAngel#07
02-05-13, 08:17 PM
I think I got it updated....on a iPhone. The tiny print....my eyes are goin bad....I'm so old... :)

----------

Will try to get some pictures the next I go home..out of town more than I'm in.

Submariner409
02-05-13, 08:17 PM
BINGO !!!!

Someone in the new DTS crowd steer this new member onto the right track - AOK ???

............. Go back and look at Post #8 again - how to throw away money.

BlueAngel#07
02-05-13, 08:29 PM
I can't complain about the power curve the way it is. But I think I'm going to check .

----------

The "dyno tune" referred to involves running the car - on a dyno - while altering fuel and timing curves to achieve best power at various car/engine/transmission speeds. I don't believe that our FWD fixed PCM program cars have that sort of variable tuning luxury.

(G Force used to market a "chip" for my car. It didn't work and it disappeared ..................)
EDIT: Some of us have fooled around with inserting oddball resistors into the IAT circuit. That didn't work, either.

Is that the $300 dollar job...was wondering bout that. Thx for the heads up.

Superjim
02-05-13, 09:18 PM
Anyone have a g force chip or any other type of performance chip in there North Star? I got one and don't know if I should install it. Anybody?

Do not install it...
It is junk and as others have already said... it does not work...

Call around to SPEED SHOPS in your area and find someone that uses either EFI LIVE or HP TUNERS software.
Either one of those can be used to tune a 2006 or newer Northstar .

I have had mine tuned... I absolutely love it.

Texas Jim

BlueAngel#07
02-05-13, 09:21 PM
Just what I wanted to hear... Will be looking around for that... Thx

Superjim
02-05-13, 09:22 PM
Just what I wanted to hear... Will be looking around for that... Thx

No problem... glad to help.

Jim

RippyPartsDept
02-05-13, 09:47 PM
Hyper tech is the only plug and play tune that I would use and they don't offer one for the DTS so I'd have to suggest that the previous comment of getting a local speed shop or tuner to custom tune for you.

CadillacLuke24
02-06-13, 01:40 AM
I asked this same question months ago... Haven't heard or seen any different answer... EVER

That's because there is no other answer. They DO NOT WORK. If you want a racecar go buy a CTS-V and hop it up more than they are already stock.

Superjim
02-06-13, 08:17 AM
That's because there is no other answer. They DO NOT WORK. If you want a racecar go buy a CTS-V and hop it up more than they are already stock.

See post number 12...

Jim

SUPER LAC DEVILLE
02-06-13, 08:51 PM

What is that a picture of???

----------

No race car for me

I'm trying to lighten my lead foot as it is... And avoid tickets. Lol

My Deville drinks plenty of fuel and at $4 a gallon it's enough speed for me.

MoistCabbage
02-06-13, 09:01 PM
It's a MAF sensor with the diffuser removed.

Submariner409
02-06-13, 09:12 PM
What is that a picture of???

Read the text under each item in the picture - you have posted about MAF and intake ducting work in other threads..............

JET Performance removes the airflow straightener (think: wind tunnel), mills out the airfoil (smoothes airflow) and mills holes in the center bridge. Problem is, the PCM in our cars will not adjust fuel/air mixtures to accomodate the unneeded extra airflow. (But, Sub ....... Extra airflow is good ! Yes, but only if the fuel/air mixture can be varied to use the extra airflow. In our series of PCM controlled engines it cannot.) Same principle holds for the exhaust - a completely stand-alone controlled Northstar would simply LOVE plenty of gas and a way to get rid of it - headers - but we can not take advantage of the possibilities in our cars.

(Sorry for the hijack - we've gone off track and are talking about pre- 2004 Northstars now)

RippyPartsDept
02-06-13, 10:01 PM
Next up: rail cars and other non-OEM PCM controlled N* applications.

SUPER LAC DEVILLE
02-07-13, 09:21 AM
Read the text under each item in the picture - you have posted about MAF and intake ducting work in other threads..............

JET Performance removes the airflow straightener (think: wind tunnel), mills out the airfoil (smoothes airflow) and mills holes in the center bridge. Problem is, the PCM in our cars will not adjust fuel/air mixtures to accomodate the unneeded extra airflow. (But, Sub ....... Extra airflow is good ! Yes, but only if the fuel/air mixture can be varied to use the extra airflow. In our series of PCM controlled engines it cannot.) Same principle holds for the exhaust - a completely stand-alone controlled Northstar would simply LOVE plenty of gas and a way to get rid of it - headers - but we can not take advantage of the possibilities in our cars.

(Sorry for the hijack - we've gone off track and are talking about pre- 2004 Northstars now)

Oh

Was jus curious

Haven't seen that one before

I took turbo intake fan sound effect out and... Forgot where I put it

Incredible waste of money

BlueAngel#07
02-07-13, 09:19 PM
What I really thought the chip would do is put a cleaner fuel air mix to work. Make it run quieter and cooler.. Guess that died with the carb, still gunna check to make sure, got some good feed back thx everyone, happy caddying.

BlueAngel#07
02-08-13, 11:08 PM
Oh by the way .... I got a GeForce chip for sale lol.... Real cheap....

It's going to mounted in tool box. $70 paper weight