: weatherstripping

torched10
02-05-13, 02:34 PM
my 08 drivers door weatherstripping is starting to shred for some reason-ive seen egeneric sets that might work, but does Caddy have one designed for our cars,or maybe sts---where would i get a set--- im also wondering how hard it is to get the old one off, and put it back on--could i just slice the 1 ft section thats shredding and patch in a new section--thanks

Ludacrisvp
02-06-13, 12:36 AM
Mine was shredded when I got the car from the dealer. They replaced it as part of sales deal. They said the part was less than 50 for the whole seal around the door. Just pull it off and push the new one on. Rippyauto should be able to get you a deal on it.

Dave G
02-06-13, 07:11 PM
Mine is doing the same, please post if you find anything.

torched10
02-07-13, 10:58 AM
ok ive done this on a 65GTO and it was a real PITA getting it off and putting it backon.Im thinking of just cutting out the section thats bad, and replacing that, but dont know if itll look like a real botch job--its only 18in long

Ludacrisvp
02-07-13, 11:31 AM
Shouldn't be hard on the STS there is no adhesive used just friction on / off.

1BadCadSTS
02-07-13, 11:40 AM
What are we talkin bout here. Door is dual seal one on the door one on the chassis.

torched10
02-07-13, 01:33 PM
its the chassis--just came back from dealer and its 130 bucks for the one piece---they didnt have it--he said they come color coded on the inside of the piece to match the interior.When i look at my car, the stripping is really adhered to the car---i just tugged on it where the rip is and it doesnt move at all--appears to be on with adhesive--has anyone actually replaced it i on their car, how did you get it off..Wonder if rippy would be less expensive--they have pieces at sveral on line shops for uner 30 bucks--my interior ie black so i dont need to worry about color, but wonder if non caddy piece will match up with the door stripping itself

Ludacrisvp
02-07-13, 02:04 PM
GMPD: (black is always more money apparently)

[ 3 ] BODY HARDWARE / PILLARS, ROCKER & FLOOR / UNISIDE / Body w'strip
body w'strip front, black Left

MSRP Online Price
$147.82 $92.24

[ 3 ] BODY HARDWARE / PILLARS, ROCKER & FLOOR / UNISIDE / Body w'strip
body w'strip front, cashmere Left

MSRP Online Price
$120.40 $75.13

torched10
02-07-13, 04:44 PM
thanks how do i order it for on line price---bob-- PS i still could use some coaching on how to get mine off w/o shredding it--ive tried just pulling it and it doesnt move

YoungBlood_STSV
02-08-13, 11:55 AM
Your 2008 isn't under warranty anymore? If it is, this is covered. I had my driver door weather stripping replaced under warranty for the same issues.

torched10
07-22-13, 01:09 PM
OK Finally replaced the door weathestripping--- you guys asked to repost once it was done.Ordered the stripping from GMPdirect--but couldnt figure out how to pull the old piece out--theres a plastic piece on the door edge that covers the stripping--no visible screwws or anything holding it in. I took that mini crowbar tool that one uses to pull nails from wooden floors, its like 6 inches long, and 1/2 in wide and got that under the plastic piece--be gentle you dont want to crack the plastic.That will get the plastic piece up and you can then pull it off from covering the stripping.Once you get that off, just pull the old stripping off.Look in the other door to see where the seam should go. about 6 in from the door sill. Then start pushing the new piece on. When you get to the point of putting the plastic piece back on, use a wooden tongue depresser to force the edge of the plastic below the edge of the stripping--thats what holds it in place.Took me about 15 minutes--Caddy told me 100 bucks