: Engine Compartment Surface Cleaners

jazoo
02-04-13, 05:37 PM
Hi ya all Caddy lovers!! How do you keep the engine compartments' components surfaces shiny and spiffy. So, what types/brands of chemicals you guys use for your vehicles? This product must not leave any residues (cloudiness or haziness) on the components/parts surfaces and must withstand the high ambient environments. Any ideas or solutions to keep the surfaces clean, other than soap & water, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Superjim
02-04-13, 06:42 PM
I use mostly Windex and paper towels....
Works pretty good...

Texas Jim

Dadillac
02-04-13, 07:14 PM
I spray a diluted mixture of Simple Green and water. Then use an old wash mitt and a wheel brush and wash everywhere I can with car wash soap. Then rinse it all down. Leaves the engine and engine compartment looking brandy new.

tightwad
02-06-13, 09:08 PM
I do it similar to the way Dadillac does it. I start with a little Gunk engine cleaner on the oily spots. Around the oil fill, master cylinder cap, etc. You don't need much at all. Then I spray on Super Clean purple cleaner. One of the parts chains always has this stuff on sale. After wiping and rinsing, I use an old chamious to wipe off the water spots since we have very hard water here. Twice a year does it for me. When people see your engine, they'll think you have a new car.

jazoo
02-10-13, 08:34 PM
Thanks all for your input. The reason I posted my question to find out whether someone is using a more unique method for cleaning and shining the components in the engine compartment. I have always used Armor-All for removing oily spots with a soft brush followed up with a soft cloth soaked with mild soapy solution and then wiped the surfaces clean with a paper towel. I have not been able to shine the surfaces like a showroom vehicle. I want to point out that I did not want to use chemical based liquids/sprays because these chemicals could be fire hazards.

About couple of weeks ago I took my Lexus to the dealership to get my car washed and detailed. They did a very good job thoroughly cleaning, among others, the engine compartment. All the parts/components in the engine compartment were shining like a new car. I asked the guy at the dealership regarding the cleaning solutions or chemicals used to clean the engine compartment and he told that it was a secret formula.

MoistCabbage
02-10-13, 10:44 PM
Most used car dealers use tire shine.

A new car doesn't have a shiny engine compartment, they have a CLEAN engine compartment. Anything that shines usually leaves behind a residue, and that just attracts dirt.

Superjim
02-11-13, 01:12 AM

A new car doesn't have a shiny engine compartment, they have a CLEAN engine compartment.
Anything that shines usually leaves behind a residue, and that just attracts dirt.

^^^^^^ Yeah.. that...

Jim

tightwad
02-12-13, 01:01 AM

A new car doesn't have a shiny engine compartment, they have a CLEAN engine compartment.
Anything that shines usually leaves behind a residue, and that just attracts dirt.
^^^^^^ Yeah.. that...

Jim
Yeah, what they said!
Back in the day, I worked in a detail shop. We sprayed a clear sealer on engines after they were cleaned. Looked great for a couple of weeks, then the stuff started to cloud over and peel off. Made a god-awful mess.