: Would you pay over blue book?

Livyx
02-03-13, 10:17 PM
I found an STS-V that seems to be a good car. It has about 61,500 miles on it and looks good. It's an 06 and blue book on the car is $17.8k (Edmunds), about $20.5k (kbb), and NADA is hard to figure since it only shows dealer retail. The seller is asking $23k for it. So, would you come in and low ball him with a high teens offer or pay more than blue book?
Since these cars are so hard to come by, I worry that i just kinda have to pay whatever someone is asking! Thanks for your input in advance.

Dave G
02-03-13, 10:26 PM
IMHO - these sell under BB. If the car is minty, I'd agree to the asking price but you can shop around and find something better. The price isn't great but not completely out of line.

Livyx
02-03-13, 10:35 PM
What about a modded car? I generally don't discount them but I also tend to not add to the price for them.
This one has a Borla cat-back, 2.4 inch supercharger pulley, 60 lbs injectors, 85MM Throttle body and intake, The car was tuned and put down 470HP and 477 TQ. Does that increase or decrease the value in your minds?

Dave G
02-03-13, 10:43 PM
Depends on the car. I wouldn't factor it in on a V.

TimmyC
02-04-13, 12:00 AM
That car looks pretty nice and has top quality parts on it. I don't normally factor in aftermarket parts but these were installed within the last six months and came from me so at least you know they are not hack-job mods. 23k is at the upper end of the market but maybe the car is worth it.

Livyx
02-04-13, 12:24 AM
I wondered if they were from you. I've been doing a lot of research on these and your name comes up often. I think if I can negotiate some I will be the proud new owner. I hope he will work with me a little and not be offended by my offer after I check the car out in person.

ral1960
02-04-13, 12:24 AM
Why would someone mod a car right before selling it?

I suppose if they had sudden financial losses.

I do wonder why people sell good cars that are in good shape. Mine are toast when they leave.

1madstsv
02-04-13, 12:44 AM
I sold my 06 with 86k on it for 18.5 with most of the mods taken off the car. Timmy dont those hp# seem high I tought you were only getting 440/450 out of the mods. I would not buy it thinking that you are getting a 470rwhp car only to find out latter it's not. If it is good but they might only be saying it to try and sell it.

TimmyC
02-04-13, 07:20 AM
Those numbers are from a different dyno than I use. The Mustang dyno typically shows lower numbers than dynojet and others. Dynocorn usually shows higher. I made 454/442 with those same mods.

1madstsv
02-04-13, 09:23 AM
That's what I was thinking I did not want the op to pay over kbb thinking its 470hp and they dyno it and it only makes 440/450.

Livyx
02-04-13, 09:45 AM
Thanks for looking out 1madstsv. I'm familiar with the differences on dyno types... To a degree. I'm by no means a tuner but I've had a supercharged mustang and gone thru a few dyno runs and argued with guys who had slower cars that swore they had more horsies than me. ;)
Either way, it seems that this seller is adding in some cushion due to mods and rarity of the car. He pointed out that due to the color combo it is 1 of 6 cars of its kind. I don't know or care if that is accurate, but if it is in great shape I'm sure he and I can negotiate a price that makes us both happy.
Anything specific I should watch out for in y'all's opinions?

Dave G
02-04-13, 10:57 AM
A dyno is just a tool, don't get too hung up on it.

As long as he didn't put FIRM on his price, he plans on negotiating.

torched10
02-04-13, 12:19 PM
i know this can get to be a religiuos discusiion, but ive been buying/selling perfornce carsa long time--generally speaking a modded car doesnt carry the value a stock one does.These arent collector cars yet but mods detract value from collector status vehicles--My feeling is that if the mod didint affect the reliability of a car long term , and it did increase peffromance, the factory woiuld have put it in, eg underpulleys--if it didnt affect the over dependability, the factory would have designed it in.So to me, unless you want the modded items, the car isnt worth paying any premium--its rare buyer who'll want the mods and when you sell the car, youll run into that issue, ie modded vs stock, There are plenty of older sts vs around if youre willing to travle to get one

Livyx
02-04-13, 12:50 PM
A dyno is just a tool, don't get too hung up on it.

As long as he didn't put FIRM on his price, he plans on negotiating.
Yeah, for sure. I'm not gonna come in swinging with a $16k offer, but I'm certainly not looking to pay what he's asking.

----------

i know this can get to be a religiuos discusiion, but ive been buying/selling perfornce carsa long time--generally speaking a modded car doesnt carry the value a stock one does.These arent collector cars yet but mods detract value from collector status vehicles--My feeling is that if the mod didint affect the reliability of a car long term , and it did increase peffromance, the factory woiuld have put it in, eg underpulleys--if it didnt affect the over dependability, the factory would have designed it in.So to me, unless you want the modded items, the car isnt worth paying any premium--its rare buyer who'll want the mods and when you sell the car, youll run into that issue, ie modded vs stock, There are plenty of older sts vs around if youre willing to travle to get one

That's always how I've looked at it too. You never get out what you put in with mods. Generally, they scare most buyers away. The issue is that most people who mod cars can't see past the money they have invested vs what people are willing to pay. It's a tricky situation when it comes to these cars. You guys all have your awesome cars and probably aren't searching the interwebs for them very often. They are hard to come by for sale with under 100k on them anymore. I have only found a few and this one I can actually see in person without a plane ride, so I am willing to negotiate, even if he's delusional about the value of his car after the mods he's put into it.

06 STS Rob
02-04-13, 02:36 PM
2 words for you OP "GAP INSURANCE"
I paid a little over KBB for my 08' but the car is in great shape and still under the factory power train warranty. I was able to get gap insurance on it for $400...

todrules
02-04-13, 02:53 PM
I paid slightly over book for mine a year ago. The car was in great shape, was the color combo I wanted, came from an extremely anal owner, and it came with a year left on the GMPP extended warranty. I guess if you really like the car and if the price seems fair, well then go for it. There are certain vehicles out there that always sell over book value, 3rd gen RX7's and Supra turbos still come to mind.

Livyx
02-04-13, 03:48 PM
For sure! That's why I ask. I've got a 68 Chevelle that I paid "too much" for according to guys on the forums I frequent. These guys are always saying how Chevelles are not worth that much, blah blah blah. Then I search around and can't find one worth looking at for under $12k and I start to realize these guys just don't seem to have a realistic view of the world! It seems to be more realistic here; most of you recognize that there are only 2300 of these cars in the US and the mileage on them isn't getting any lower. Gotta buy when you find a good one and the price is only negotiable to a degree,

06 STS Rob
02-04-13, 04:31 PM
The dealer I got mine from started at 35k, had it down to 30k when I got there. I had done the car-fax on it and saw that they had it for 6 months...this usually means they don't want it sitting much longer so I came in at 29k. Although still a bit high, I got them to agree with the price. There is no market for these cars regardless of how rare they are. Cadillac pulled them from the line up because of it. We are the few that even realize what they are. Bottom line is, you'll be getting a bad ass car for less than what most people are paying for a pick up truck these days. Go for it! Just get the gap insurance to cover your butt if anything happens.

Livyx
02-04-13, 07:38 PM
The dealer I got mine from started at 35k, had it down to 30k when I got there. I had done the car-fax on it and saw that they had it for 6 months...this usually means they don't want it sitting much longer so I came in at 29k. Although still a bit high, I got them to agree with the price. There is no market for these cars regardless of how rare they are. Cadillac pulled them from the line up because of it. We are the few that even realize what they are. Bottom line is, you'll be getting a bad ass car for less than what most people are paying for a pick up truck these days. Go for it! Just get the gap insurance to cover your butt if anything happens.

You think? Man, I see one with reasonable mileage pop up for sale and by the time I can request additional pictures it is sold! I wish no one wanted them, but I feel like I'm climbing over the masses to be the first to get to the car.

AriGold.
02-04-13, 07:58 PM
Glad you could find the forum man. Its my car. I don't have much history posting on the forum but what I do have feel free to look back at. I just emailed you a link with all my photos. Tim was right, I did buy all the parts off him!

06 STS Rob
02-04-13, 08:03 PM
The Cadillac/Chevrolet dealer I found mine at had it for 6 months. This car is in great shape with under 50k and still under warranty... I even got them to put a brand new passenger side mirror on it because it had a little too much vibration at freeway speed. Problem is, it was sitting on a lot with 2 used and a few new 2nd gen CTS-V's.
I knew more about the car than the saleman even did... Not that they know much, but you would think since he sells Cadillacs he would know about it.
I did have to drive about 75miles to get her though.
Just checked C.L. and found an 06 with 43k miles, 20" HRE's, pulley and intake for $26,500 (private party)
A.T. has an 07 with 90k miles for $21,888 (dealer)

Dave G
02-04-13, 09:12 PM
I think I paid more than what others would have but:
Mine was local
An '06 with under 40K miles
Clean - no door dings

Pay what you're comfortable paying. Don't worry about getting the best deal - the internet is full of people who got a better deal. Remember, you're getting it much less than the guy that bought it new ;)

dl72
02-04-13, 09:22 PM
I got mine for $23000 out the door. They were asking $27,000. It sat on their lot for 5 months. I took a train to pick it up and then drove it home. It was well worth it. I couldn't find any local to me.

wake
02-04-13, 09:39 PM
Pay what you're comfortable paying. Don't worry about getting the best deal - the internet is full of people who got a better deal. Remember, you're getting it much less than the guy that bought it new ;)

I agree. I think I got a great deal on mine but I have seen a few (a long ways away) for a little cheaper.

All I know is I'm happy with mine, no buyer's remorse and no feeling that I overpaid. In the end that's what matters.

Livyx
02-05-13, 12:28 AM
I agree. I think I got a great deal on mine but I have seen a few (a long ways away) for a little cheaper.

All I know is I'm happy with mine, no buyer's remorse and no feeling that I overpaid. In the end that's what matters.
That is what I'm hoping. AriGold seems to be a pretty honest and cool guy. I'm looking forward to seeing the car and talking with him about all the ins and outs of it. I hope this is the car for me.

AriGold.
03-02-13, 03:42 PM
livyx!!! I know you bought a new V Post some photos!!! Im gonna keep mine anyway for awhile!

Livyx
03-02-13, 03:57 PM
I did! It's an 06 with 52k on it. Silver/grey combo, like yours. I'll get some pics uploaded tonight.

mjs182004
03-03-13, 12:23 AM
Congrats on the purchase!

parkeraire
03-03-13, 09:39 AM
Welcome to the family.