: Rear Seatback - Cloth Removal?

FuzzyLogic
02-03-13, 02:29 PM
Hey, I've got the back seat out, and wondered if anyone had a method for removing the cloth backing without breaking the plastic retaining slots. My goal is to get in there and lighten it up, and if I have the space, put an extra MLV (mass-loaded vinyl) layer in there for better noise attenuation.

Thanks in advance!

darkman
02-03-13, 04:43 PM
The attached is all I have.

FuzzyLogic
02-03-13, 05:18 PM
The attached is all I have.

I appreciate it, but it looks like I'm mostly on my own on this one. I'll try to have the camera on hand when I figure it out. Having the seat out vs. the seat in creates an order of magnitude difference in terms of noise in the cabin, even with the various layers of damper + MLV I've installed in the seat bottom, trunk, and electronics deck. Therefore, applying MLV to the seat may make a very significant difference in noise in the cabin, and if weight comes out during the process, it's going to be a win-win.

AAIIIC
02-04-13, 11:31 AM
Would definitely be interested if you find some way to cut some weight out of that damn seatback. Every time I pull it out I'm amazed at how frickin' heavy that damn thing is! (I ditch it for track events to make it easier to load all the crap I bring, and the weight savings is just an added bonus.)

FuzzyLogic
02-04-13, 12:06 PM
Well, I managed to work the plastic retaining rails open without breaking them--they're a lot more flexible than I gave them credit for. Turns out that each foldable section of the seatback is lined with a 1/4" steel sheet. At 10.2 lbs per square foot, there's at least 50 lbs of material back there that may be removable.

Was Cadillac trying to implement a bullet screen?

sssnake
02-04-13, 12:37 PM
Sorry, I got your text today and then checked the forum. Sounds like you got it. Fun right?

FuzzyLogic
02-04-13, 12:44 PM
Sorry, I got your text today and then checked the forum. Sounds like you got it. Fun right?

I still need to get the side rails off because I want to put sound dampening inserts in the sides. They're really on there. And I still need to figure out how to get the steel sheets out. If you have any advice, I'm all ears.

sssnake
02-04-13, 05:52 PM
Well I did mine in 08 but I think I took pics for a build log. Let me see if I can find them.

However from memory I think I just marked the area to cut, used a cutoff wheel to make initial cuts, then used a nibbler to finish the cuts without removing the plate. I do seem to remember the thickness of the metal giving the nibbler fits. I may have had to use the cut off wheel to do initial scoring to reduce metal thickness then used the nibbler/power shears to finish it off. It was definitely a PIA but I wanted subs behind the rear seats in an IB config and this let me do it.