: GM Remote Start vs Viper Smart Start

parker133t
02-02-13, 05:44 AM
I recently purchased a standard turbo 2.0L ATS from a South Florida dealer. However it was over the weekend and their service department was already closed and was not able to ask about getting the remote start added to the car. When I called in Monday they told me the ATS requires heated seats in order for the remote start function to work - which mine does not have. I am not even sure if it is worth it nor possible to get heated seats and then go through with the GM remote start or should I just go an alternate route all together.

I have had the Viper Smart Start VSS4000 for years in my '10 Subaru and never had any issues with it, I enjoyed starting the car to keep it cooled due to the Florida summers. I wasn't too familiar and haven't gotten to ask my dealership if they had any knowledge if this would interfere with anything on the car. If anyone has experience with this I would greatly appreciate it.

Macvicar24
02-02-13, 07:17 PM
[QUOTE=parker133t;3211348]I recently purchased a standard turbo 2.0L ATS from a South Florida dealer. However it was over the weekend and their service department was already closed and was not able to ask about getting the remote start added to the car. When I called in Monday they told me the ATS requires heated seats in order for the remote start function to work - which mine does not have. I am not even sure if it is worth it nor possible to get heated seats and then go through with the GM remote start or should I just go an alternate route all together.

What does heated seats have to do with remote start working or not? I am in the same predicament as you. I ordered the remote start kit and will try to get it to work. If it doesn't I will have a remote start kit for sale.

parker133t
02-03-13, 12:57 AM
I have no idea, I was told by my dealer and I noticed accessory sites stated the same requirements. Hopefully it works well without it!

Cadillac Cust Svc
02-04-13, 02:55 PM
Parker, I know you're seeking opinions from forum members, but I wanted to let you know I'm on hand to contact your dealer for you at any point. Please let me know if you would like me to follow up with them regarding their diagnosis; I'm reachable via email at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

parker133t
02-05-13, 07:16 AM
Parker, I know you're seeking opinions from forum members, but I wanted to let you know I'm on hand to contact your dealer for you at any point. Please let me know if you would like me to follow up with them regarding their diagnosis; I'm reachable via email at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com.

Best,

Katie

Thanks Katie, I have to go back to the dealership in a few days for my second key fob. I am going to ask another service advisor about the heated seats being required.

Cadillac Cust Svc
02-05-13, 08:43 AM
Great, Parker! I hope you'll keep us updated on your progress when you get a chance.

Katie

jamboarder
02-05-13, 03:33 PM
Strange, mine doesn't have heated seats and the OEM installed remote start works fine.

Hoosier Daddy
02-05-13, 06:42 PM
What does heated seats have to do with remote start working or not?
I live in Arizona so I can only guess that when I want to cool the interior down from 145 to something survivable before getting in I still have the ability to keep the seats hot enough to fry eggs on. :D

BlueAngel#07
02-05-13, 07:40 PM
I know in some of the older GM models aftermarket remote starters would cause conflicts with the computer over time. Hope they have resolved the problem.

turbo2.0
02-09-13, 11:29 AM
GM told everyone at first that it had to have heated seats to add the remote start, that has since changed. We installed our first remote start system on a standard ATS and had no problems at all. It is cheap, it works great, and best of all it is OE quality!

Hoosier Daddy
02-13-13, 07:45 PM
GM told everyone at first that it had to have heated seats to add the remote start, that has since changed. We installed our first remote start system on a standard ATS and had no problems at all. It is cheap, it works great, and best of all it is OE quality!
Who is we and what system (Cadillac or Viper or ???).

And what's the best way to add remote start to a Luxury or Performance with a manual transmission. Naturally it would need to just ignore the command if it had been left in gear. I wouldn't care about feedback from the system if that happened.

TIA

ewired
02-14-13, 02:27 AM
The only way would be aftermarket. I doubt GM would even consider making remote start an option on a manual.

Hoosier Daddy
02-14-13, 07:31 AM
The only way would be aftermarket. I doubt GM would even consider making remote start an option on a manual.
The dealer loaned me their order guide. I can't rule out a misprint but it says you can get remote start with the 2.5 manual. But we all know you can't get it from the factory for the 2.0 which is what I am buying. Turbo2.0 said THEY installed theirs, not the factory. That's why I asked if it was with the factory parts or aftermarket since the post didn't specify.

turbo2.0
02-14-13, 10:31 AM
When I say "we" I mean the Cadillac dealer that I work at, but I try not to mention the name since we are not a sponser on this site. I use this forum to get ideas of what the ATS community wants out of their car be it factory or aftermarket since I am the Accessory Supervisor, but I am also an ATS 2.0T owner. I have never seen a proper remote start system available for a manual trans, the liability would be too great. The part number for the GM Accessory remote start system is 22893086, but cannot be installed at your house. The system requires a call into TAC with the dealer code and program code given within the parts instruction manual, retail should be about $300 +tax installed.

thebigjimsho
02-17-13, 03:40 PM
The dealer loaned me their order guide. I can't rule out a misprint but it says you can get remote start with the 2.5 manual. But we all know you can't get it from the factory for the 2.0 which is what I am buying. Turbo2.0 said THEY installed theirs, not the factory. That's why I asked if it was with the factory parts or aftermarket since the post didn't specify.

Um, is there even a manual available with the 2.5??

marktanner
02-17-13, 03:59 PM
No, just the turbo.

thebigjimsho
02-17-13, 04:16 PM
And there you go...

Macvicar24
02-17-13, 06:48 PM
When I say "we" I mean the Cadillac dealer that I work at, but I try not to mention the name since we are not a sponser on this site. I use this forum to get ideas of what the ATS community wants out of their car be it factory or aftermarket since I am the Accessory Supervisor, but I am also an ATS 2.0T owner. I have never seen a proper remote start system available for a manual trans, the liability would be too great. The part number for the GM Accessory remote start system is 22893086, but cannot be installed at your house. The system requires a call into TAC with the dealer code and program code given within the parts instruction manual, retail should be about $300 +tax installed.

I'm going in tomorrow morning to see if the dealer can install the remote start kit (22893086) to my 2.0T standard, CUE, power moonroof. No heated seats. The kit specifies it can be installed on standard models with heated seats. I'm giving it a try on mine without heated seats. Wish me luck.

If this install does not work I will have a remote start kit for sale for anyone with a standard heated seat car. Will update tomorrow.

Macvicar24
02-20-13, 12:18 AM
Installed see my other thread.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282462