: "Check Oil Level"

Greg Thomas
09-09-03, 09:15 AM
96 Deville
Northstar
120,000 mi.

The "Check Oil Level" message won't go off.
The car was low on oil-
filled it up about 10 days ago-
oil is in the center of the dipstick guage-
car has been started app. 40 times since filling the oil-
took the battery cable loose to clear codes 2 days ago-
been started app 10 times since then-
still shows the message.

???????????????????????
Got any ideas?

Thanks, Greg

Katshot
09-09-03, 09:20 AM
There's a sensor on the side of the oil pan. It MAY have been disconnected or broken.

Snyder81
09-18-03, 02:09 AM
There's a sensor on the side of the oil pan. It MAY have been disconnected or broken.

My 96 DeVille Concours has the same problem...constantly nagging me to "check oil level" even when it's full. Here is a link to what the part looks like so you can check it out.

http://www.borgwarnerbrand.com/flashhtml/relays/S8112.html

I plan to buy a new one from carparts.com unless someone can find one cheaper. Search for part "S8112" on carparts.com or at the borgwarnerbrand site. Does anyone know of a cheaper online auto parts website?

FirstTimeCaddy
09-18-03, 04:34 PM
my car was doing the same thing. I just replaced the oil level sensor on the front side of the oil pan, problem solved. Mine was 34 bucks from a local Chevy dealership, it was cheaper there than at a caddy dealer.

Brett

Snyder81
09-18-03, 11:23 PM
my car was doing the same thing. I just replaced the oil level sensor on the front side of the oil pan, problem solved. Mine was 34 bucks from a local Chevy dealership, it was cheaper there than at a caddy dealer.

Brett

If the oil sensor is down by the oil pan, than what kind of sensor is the one in this picture? (Beware...over 600kb...modems not encouraged)

http://www.wsu.edu/~jefe/cadi.jpg

FirstTimeCaddy
09-19-03, 12:00 PM
I have no idea what sensor that is.... It looks like it may be some sort of vacuum doomaflochy. I know for a fact that the oil level sensor is in the side of the oil pan near the top(as it would need to be to measure the amound of oil in the pan :p ) and the oil pressure sensor is right above that above the motor mount(i found that out the hard way, damn parts store gave me that one instead of the level sensor). Just make sure when you get the sensor, it looks like a bolt head with a 2 wire oval plug hole (with a small square hole next to it for the snap clip) and the sensor has about a 4" probe.

Brett

cadfan
09-27-03, 01:03 AM
the picture is the vent tube for the trans. If you follow it down, you will find it goes iinto the top of trans.

Snyder81
10-16-03, 11:18 PM
I bought a new oil level sensor from my Cadillac dealer...the original part has a metal head on it, but the replacement part is made of some sort of heavy plastic. Is this what the rest of you have found as well?

Greg Thomas
10-17-03, 07:56 AM
Yes, mine was.

Dubya
10-17-03, 10:15 AM
how low does the oil have to be to set off the "check oil level" light? mine came on once, so i added a qt, 2 weeks later i was at valvoline and they SAID i only had 3 qts total, i find that hard to believe. it holds 7.5, i thoght it would go off as soon as im 2 low, or 5-5.5 qts.

i hate going there, i only do in the winter. they tried telling me once that its recommended to actually get your oil changed every 2500 miles. doesn't gm say 6000-7500??? i do it every 3500, all they do is change oil and you'd swear they think there certified gm mechanics by the way they talk at the one i go too. they push their synthetic oil like your retarded if you don't use it.

its a 95 btw.

cadfan
10-18-03, 10:55 AM
how low does the oil have to be to set off the "check oil level" light? mine came on once, so i added a qt, 2 weeks later i was at valvoline and they SAID i only had 3 qts total, i find that hard to believe. it holds 7.5, i thoght it would go off as soon as im 2 low, or 5-5.5 qts.

i hate going there, i only do in the winter. they tried telling me once that its recommended to actually get your oil changed every 2500 miles. doesn't gm say 6000-7500??? i do it every 3500, all they do is change oil and you'd swear they think there certified gm mechanics by the way they talk at the one i go too. they push their synthetic oil like your retarded if you don't use it.

its a 95 btw.
if the level sensor does not take care of the low oil level message. There is a pcm update that can be flashed to correct this problem. I've done it so many times, seems this is more of a problem than a faulty oil level sensor. I dont think you can do it yourself, might have to take it to a dealer, dont know. Hope its just the sensor.

Snyder81
10-18-03, 12:44 PM
if the level sensor does not take care of the low oil level message. There is a pcm update that can be flashed to correct this problem. I've done it so many times, seems this is more of a problem than a faulty oil level sensor. I dont think you can do it yourself, might have to take it to a dealer, dont know. Hope its just the sensor.

Does the dealer charge for a PCM flash update?

cadfan
10-18-03, 04:58 PM
Does the dealer charge for a PCM flash update?
yes, but only takes 10-15 mins. Should not cost much, depends on dealers hr. rate

Snyder81
10-21-03, 06:31 PM
Am I going to have to completely drain my oil pan to replace this sensor? I took a look at it and it appears to mounted about halfway up the pan...I'm not sure how far up the oil goes. If so, I think I'll just wait until it's time to change the oil again.

Snyder81
12-08-03, 02:44 PM
Am I going to have to completely drain my oil pan to replace this sensor? I took a look at it and it appears to mounted about halfway up the pan...I'm not sure how far up the oil goes. If so, I think I'll just wait until it's time to change the oil again.

I changed the oil a few nights ago and replaced the sensor...it was bad. The round cylinder on the end of the oil level sensor had actually fallen off into my oilpan which explained why it wasn't working properly. Removing the electrical plug from the oil level sensor is very difficult. You really have to jam a small screwdriver underneath the plastic piece that holds the electrical connector in. The good news...my car no longer tells me I need to "check oil level." :coolgleam