: Need Urgent Help With Brembo Calipers!!!....

2005_CTS-V
01-31-13, 11:50 PM
I just painted my calipers yesterday and now need to get them back together so I have a car to drive....does anyone know the torque spec's for reassembling the calipers? Hopefully someone can hit me back soon. Wrench in hand and ready. Thanks guys.
-Josh

FuzzyLogic
01-31-13, 11:57 PM
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/torque.html

darkman
02-01-13, 07:56 AM
The caiiper (bracket) bolts should be coated in threadlocker and allowed to dry (cure) about ten minutes. Torque is 96 ft. pounds. I have trouble getting the torque over 90 ft. pounds.

AAIIIC
02-01-13, 08:05 AM
The brake caliper overhaul section of the FSM tells you not to separate the caliper halves, so there's no torque spec listed. The bleeders are 124lb-in.

DrSpeed
02-01-13, 12:48 PM
Torque the caliper bolts PRIOR to loctite drying.

And read - bleeders are INCH POUNDS.

etcts-v
02-01-13, 03:01 PM
Did you separate the two halves of the calipers? If you did, I'm impressed you got them apart! I tried when I had mine powder coated and even with a 1/2 in socket with massive breaker bar, the heads on the nuts just wanted to strip before cracking loose.

darkman
02-01-13, 03:10 PM
Torque the caliper bolts PRIOR to loctite drying.

See attached.

DrSpeed
02-01-13, 06:55 PM
See attached.

what?

Do you:

1. Apply loctite to bolts
2. Tighten them on the wheel end
3. Wait for the loctite to dry/cure
4. Then torque to spec?

You torque before the loctite sets, otherwise, you break the loctite free.

darkman
02-01-13, 07:59 PM
what?

Do you:

1. Apply loctite to bolts
2. Tighten them on the wheel end
3. Wait for the loctite to dry/cure
4. Then torque to spec?

You torque before the loctite sets, otherwise, you break the loctite free.

I follow the instructions in the GM Service Manual which says to (1) apply the threadlocker (GM 12345493) two-thirds of the threaded length of the caliper to knuckle mounting bolts with no gaps in the applied threadlocker; and (2) allow the treadlocker to cure approximately ten minutes before installation. GM's 12345493 threadlocker is Pematex Threadlocker Red and does not fully cure (or set) for 1-24 hours depending on temperature. Since it is an anaerobic material it cannot fully cure in the presence of air. The ten-minute curing time prescribed by GM is presumably required to ensure the threadlocker stays in the threads as opposed to be displaced by the rotation of the bolt (like a an Archimedes screw).