: Battery Life

mjv53
01-31-13, 06:39 PM
Was wondering about Battery life, how good is is it and replacing it looks like a nightmare,with all the electronics,ect. Any one out there have any tales.

C&C
02-01-13, 05:22 AM
Ah, batteries; they can last a couple years, they can last ten years. I had a battery (STS), went bad in two years, the replacement was still going strong after 4 additional years (before I traded it). I currently have a battery (Olds Bravada) going on ten years old (hope I didn't jinx it) :)

TheCaptain
02-01-13, 08:27 AM
Replacing the battery isn't actually too bad. There's no engine cross members or anything to pull out first, just six connections to undo before getting it out.
And like C&C said, batteries can last two years or a usual life span of eight (depending on climate, the -36*C starts are a little hard on batteries).

mjv53
02-12-13, 03:54 PM
Hi Captain,
Was going to replace with Optima or do you have a good recomendation, when I disconnect will all electronics need to be reset such as TPMs ect.

bwclemons
02-13-13, 04:45 PM
Do not use a Optima battery. They are not really that good for a every day car. They can be overcharged easily and the warranty will be voided. Ask me how I know! Stick with a standard battery.

TheCaptain
02-14-13, 08:35 PM
As for a battery, I can't recommend one way or another. As for resetting things, the memory seats, radio, nav, and windows will need to be set. (It'll prompt you for the windows, everything else you will have to do.)

mjv53
02-15-13, 12:12 AM
What about the tie pressure monitors?

----------

Tire pressure monitors,(duh)

TheCaptain
02-15-13, 09:19 AM
No, they usually stay memorized. Though I haven't had the battery disconnected for more than a half an hour.

Marc NY
02-15-13, 08:59 PM
Hi Captain,
Was going to replace with Optima or do you have a good recomendation .... Yes ... I would highly recommend getting a GM Delco battery.

Ponyman
02-16-13, 10:16 AM
I don't know how expensive they are, but some shops have a tool that goes in the cigarette light when they pull the battery. This tool supplies enough power to keep all the memory presets. Maybe Autozone or O'reillys might have one for loan. Next thing, I can't even remember if our SRX has a cigarette lighter, but it does have power ports.

redvett94
02-16-13, 12:25 PM
What year is your vehicle? I should be at least a 5yr warranty, check it out. The proper way to replace batteries in modern vehicles is to use a power maintainer plugged into the liter outlet.