: Block Heater or Oil Pan Heater?

gottaride68
01-31-13, 06:36 PM
I have the '06 Escal, this morning is -35*C and it won't turn over. Yes I'm up in Northern Canada, No my vehicle does not have a block heater (it came up frm the states). which would be easier, and more effective? Oil Pan Heater or Block Heater?

the cadillac man
01-31-13, 07:10 PM
I have the '06 Escal, this morning is -35*C and it won't turn over. Yes I'm up in Northern Canada, No my vehicle does not have a block heater (it came up frm the states). which would be easier, and more effective? Oil Pan Heater or Block Heater?

My last car had a block heater I know the dealer can install this(not sure about Canada though as I am in the states) but the block heater is more effective then the oil pan heater given that one heats both the block and the oil the other just heats the oil
Some may or may not have a battery heater also(my last car did which was included in with the cold weather package and I used it a few times in the winter and it does improve starting)

wesyder
01-31-13, 07:46 PM
My last car had a block heater I know the dealer can install this(not sure about Canada though as I am in the states) but the block heater is more effective then the oil pan heater given that one heats both the block and the oil the other just heats the oil
Some may or may not have a battery heater also(my last car did which was included in with the cold weather package and I used it a few times in the winter and it does improve starting)

I agree with the block heater, its nice when we get a run and the vehicle is already warm so we dont hurt anything haulin ass to an incident with a cold engine

the cadillac man
01-31-13, 11:16 PM
I agree with the block heater, its nice when we get a run and the vehicle is already warm so we dont hurt anything haulin ass to an incident with a cold engine

True this is one option I miss from my previous car I may ask if I can add it on through my local dealer as it was great in my last car (especially when you have leather seats without the heaters)

Kantdrive55
02-04-13, 09:00 PM
I was in Grande Prairie AB with mine and -30 was pretty regular in the winter time. Mine too was a us import with no block heater. Very easy to install took about 20 minutes (with access to a hoist) and started fine even at -40

wesyder
02-04-13, 10:02 PM
I was in Grande Prairie AB with mine and -30 was pretty regular in the winter time. Mine too was a us import with no block heater. Very easy to install took about 20 minutes (with access to a hoist) and started fine even at -40

Holy blockheaters batman lol.... Minus 40? i cannot imagine

the cadillac man
02-04-13, 11:05 PM
Holy blockheaters batman lol.... Minus 40? i cannot imagine

No way could I stand those temps I don't like it when the temps get down in the teens

MrHolland
02-04-13, 11:12 PM
Its a dry cold LOL ....

wesyder
02-04-13, 11:36 PM
Its a dry cold LOL ....

Lol we were cryin over here in cali at 28 deg

the cadillac man
02-05-13, 12:04 AM
Lol we were cryin over here in cali at 28 deg

Lucky try single digits here in Tennessee

wesyder
02-05-13, 12:21 PM
Lucky try single digits here in Tennessee

Woah i need to call grandma, shes in knoxville

the cadillac man
02-05-13, 12:51 PM
Woah i need to call grandma, shes in knoxville

It been that a few times here in northern East Tennessee I live north of Knoxville but it warming up just been that cold of the night during the colder days but its best to check on the elderly during the winter

RippyPartsDept
02-05-13, 01:35 PM
http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/6033/blockheater.jpg

I'm pretty sure the following part numbers are correct (without a VIN I can't really be 100% sure though)

Heater #12586687
Cord #15811533

$141.34 (forum discount price for both)

I don't ship to Canada though ... If you could provide a US address we can work with that.