: Well, That Didn't Take Long - Pics of My New 68

Longeardgaloot
01-31-13, 12:10 AM
On my first reply to a post in there when I revealed that I was sorta kinda looking at 68s someone told me that it wouldn't take long before I got one, and what do you know - here I am just about a month later with my very first Cadillac of my own. It didn't take long at all! I kept looking at Craig's List and this 1968 Calais sedan kept getting listed, and it was just a couple of miles away so what the hell? I just wanted to go and take a look. So I did, and that was that. So here it is, with the original Sudan Beige paint in great condition. The previous owner had the upholstery re-done in the original beige (w/vinyl). At some point it wound up with an Edelbrock manifold, Holley carburetor and dual exhaust, and it runs just great. What do y'all think?

Also, about that paint job - I've gotta admit that at first I wasn't too thrilled with it because it's not the flashiest of colors, but now I just love it. I like the fact that it's not the metal-flaked type finish, it's more of an enameled look, if you know what I mean - it's not sparkly. It's almost like a bathroom fixture. With regard to this particular year, it occurs to me that I've seen a lot of the other colors (esp. black, red, white, blue and gold) but as I try and recall I don't think I've ever seen one in this Sudan Beige color. Is it rare? Does anyone have any idea where to find out the number of cars produced that year ranked by color?

I'm glad to be a real member of the Cadillac Owner's Forum!

creeker
01-31-13, 12:50 AM
according to one of my books, deville series 68-683, 4 door hard top,72,662 were produced, weighed in at 4657 lbs. and cost $5,785.

talismandave
01-31-13, 02:33 AM
Looks to me you got lucky to find such a straight example so close to home. It really looks well kept.

I think the color is a very classy look especially on a Calais with the hard top. That looks very sleek and streamlined without the vinyl. :drool:

Beautiful Cadillac, you "joined the club" in a very convincing way!:yup:

77CDV
01-31-13, 02:56 AM
Lovely car. Buddy of mine in San Diego has a 68 CDV in the same color scheme, except his car has a brown vinyl top. According to the 1969 data book, as of May, 1968, 5.5% of DeVilles and Calais (excluding DeVille convertibles) were painted Sudan Beige.

Longeardgaloot
01-31-13, 11:56 AM
Hey thanks for the nice comments! I'm still so excited about this, I peek into the garage every morning and jump up and down. And only 5.5%? That's amazing! Finding a Calais (a model with which I was unfamiliar until I started researching - I'm kind of shocked at myself that I never noticed them before, I had thought I was a real aficionado!) in such a rare color in almost perfect condition is such an added bonus, I feel a duty to society to keep it in as good shape as I possibly can! And since you have to name classic cars, I decided to call him Cassius (because he floats like a butterfly, and stings like a bee!).

CadillacLuke24
01-31-13, 06:14 PM
Welcome to the club, as Dave said :D Great name! I like it. Congratulations! He's a sharp lookin' Cadillac, and I'm sure you'l have a blast cruising.

Now you gotta go change the Automobiles part of your profile!!

Bro-Ham
01-31-13, 08:46 PM
Nice car! I love the color too! Have fun with it!

Corey468
02-01-13, 01:50 AM
That's an absolutely gorgeous car. Glad you were able to find the perfect one for you. I'm sure you'll have that car for quite some time to come.

CADforce69
02-01-13, 02:48 PM
Congrats for your aquisition. It looks very straight and the color is perfect for me, above all for a Calais. It makes the car look cleaner. Enjoy it! :thumbsup:

FoxRodder
02-06-13, 03:37 PM
Looks real nice and I also really like the color. With the edelbrock manifold is there no A/C compressor on the motor?

Longeardgaloot
02-07-13, 02:06 PM
Looks real nice and I also really like the color. With the edelbrock manifold is there no A/C compressor on the motor?

Wow, you really know your stuff! As a matter of fact, yes - whoever ordered this Calais back in the day originally sprang for the Climate Control option, but later on when they put that manifold in they did remove the A/C compressor. Luckily in the SF Bay Area, you only need A/C about 1 week out of the year, so it won't be a real inconvenience for me. You might also be interested to know that in order to combat the flow of hot air into the cabin, a valve was installed in engine compartment so I can block off the flow during the summer months.

I'm guessing they had to take out the compressor because it was in the way of the new manifold? What do y'all reckon?

FoxRodder
02-07-13, 03:53 PM
Yes the compressor is so huge and directly in front of the carburetor that with the extra height on the manifold you cannot fit them both. Hard to believe the carb even fits there from the factory! My A/C currently does not function supposedly because the compressor is messed up. I can handle the heat myself but since my wife is involved more with this car I cannot rip it out. I did see someone else say something on another thread that there is supposedly some kind of sanden compressor that is smaller and uses a special bracket and "supposedly" will clear the edelbrock manifold. I would be interested to see myself.

Here is the other thread http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/classic-cadillac-forum/281118-anyone-472-500-new-sanden-ac.html

Longeardgaloot
02-07-13, 05:09 PM
Well, this is good news - I'd like to be able to restore the climate control function one day since it was originally in there. It'd be nice to have every part you can see look and work like it did when it was new!

Arabstallion25
02-13-13, 10:46 PM
ThAts a nice piece of work did you buy it in that condition

cadillac kevin
02-13-13, 11:08 PM
that is a very nice looking calais

Longeardgaloot
02-14-13, 04:51 PM
ThAts a nice piece of work did you buy it in that condition

Yes, it was in great shape when I got it. The fellow I bought it from did a great job keeping it clean. Luckily, though, he left enough stuff for me to do that I don't feel intimidated!

cadillac kevin
02-14-13, 08:52 PM
Yes, it was in great shape when I got it. The fellow I bought it from did a great job keeping it clean. Luckily, though, he left enough stuff for me to do that I don't feel intimidated!

So is that still original paint and interior (I'm guessing no simply because I've never seen one that nice)

Longeardgaloot
02-15-13, 12:44 PM
So is that still original paint and interior (I'm guessing no simply because I've never seen one that nice)
It's the original paint, but the previous owner had the upholstery and side panels re-done to match the original (at some point, somebody had done something else). They sure did a beautiful job! The headliner's original and it's in great shape except for a small stain in the back. I'm guess the carpet's original as well, because it's in bad shape and kinda smells like Grandma's purse!