: 2003 Escalade - New Ignition - Old Keys - Personalization Features Not Working

SRRF
01-30-13, 05:39 PM
Hello everyone,
I'm new to owning a Cadillac (few months now) and even newer to these forums!

I did a forum search for similar issues to mine and came up empty. There seemed to be multiple posts about programming keys... but nothing related to my actual issue. If I missed a good thread though, please just throw the link in a post and I'll give it a read.

Background:
I recently had the ignition cylinder replaced in my truck. After the replacement I noticed that my personalization settings/features no longer with the keys. I assume it's a programming issue, but came here for advice!

The Issue:
As mentioned... after having my ignition replaced, the personalization features no longer work with the stock keys. The shop that replaced the ignition did program the keys/fobs. I should note that the keys are picked up by the DIC (Driver 1 and Driver 2) when I insert them.

Some of the features that no longer work with the key are: door unlock on key out, seat recall on key in and easy exit seat on key out. If I set the features to react to the remote/fob or shifter (Park) they work perfectly fine... but anything dealing with the key itself is a bust. I should also note that everything was working prior to the ignition cylinder replace and the manual buttons on the door (Driver 1 and 2) still adjust the seat/settings properly.

Things I've Tried
- Playing with the settings in the Driver Control Centre (DIC)
- Setting features to work when the key is in or out of the ignition (door unlock, seat recall, etc.), none of which work anymore
- Setting features to work with the fob/shifter... which all seem to work fine.

I'm starting to worry that maybe they installed the wrong ignition cylinder or something. Any advice or tips on how to move forward would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading!

EDIT:
I've done some research and it looks like they used the right cylinder. The GM Part number is: 15815961. That being said, another guess is that they didn't hook something up right in the cylinder (wiring?)

the cadillac man
01-30-13, 08:05 PM
Hello everyone,
I'm new to owning a Cadillac (few months now) and even newer to these forums!

I did a forum search for similar issues to mine and came up empty. There seemed to be multiple posts about programming keys... but nothing related to my actual issue. If I missed a good thread though, please just throw the link in a post and I'll give it a read.

Background:
I recently had the ignition cylinder replaced in my truck. After the replacement I noticed that my personalization settings/features no longer with the keys. I assume it's a programming issue, but came here for advice!

The Issue:
As mentioned... after having my ignition replaced, the personalization features no longer work with the stock keys. The shop that replaced the ignition did program the keys/fobs. I should note that the keys are picked up by the DIC (Driver 1 and Driver 2) when I insert them.

Some of the features that no longer work with the key are: door unlock on key out, seat recall on key in and easy exit seat on key out. If I set the features to react to the remote/fob or shifter (Park) they work perfectly fine... but anything dealing with the key itself is a bust. I should also note that everything was working prior to the ignition cylinder replace and the manual buttons on the door (Driver 1 and 2) still adjust the seat/settings properly.

Things I've Tried
- Playing with the settings in the Driver Control Centre (DIC)
- Setting features to work when the key is in or out of the ignition (door unlock, seat recall, etc.), none of which work anymore
- Setting features to work with the fob/shifter... which all seem to work fine.

I'm starting to worry that maybe they installed the wrong ignition cylinder or something. Any advice or tips on how to move forward would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading!

EDIT:
I've done some research and it looks like they used the right cylinder. The GM Part number is: 15815961. That being said, another guess is that they didn't hook something up right in the cylinder (wiring?)

Try reprogramming the fobs but if either don't have a 1or2 then it won't work with the memory seat recall FYI the keys don't have a chip in them till 07
But it seems that they might have missed a wire

SRRF
01-31-13, 04:38 PM
Try reprogramming the fobs but if either don't have a 1or2 then it won't work with the memory seat recall FYI the keys don't have a chip in them till 07
But it seems that they might have missed a wire

Thanks for the reply/information. It appears the fobs are programmed correctly as they display "Driver 1" or "Driver 2" on the DIC (depending on which one I unlock the truck with).
The shop only replaced the ignition cylinder, not the housing... so it sounds like they couldn't have missed a wire after-all.

I've been told I may need to have them re-programmed from a certified Cadillac dealer, so that's likely my next step.

On a side note, I noticed there wasn't much repair information available for the Escalade (besides these forums being a solid source). Does anyone know of a service manual to recommend... or if they even make one? I was looking for some wiring diagrams earlier and had no luck. The dealerships tell me they have most of their information online and don't sell any of it.

Thanks again

the cadillac man
01-31-13, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the reply/information. It appears the fobs are programmed correctly as they display "Driver 1" or "Driver 2" on the DIC (depending on which one I unlock the truck with).
The shop only replaced the ignition cylinder, not the housing... so it sounds like they couldn't have missed a wire after-all.

I've been told I may need to have them re-programmed from a certified Cadillac dealer, so that's likely my next step.

On a side note, I noticed there wasn't much repair information available for the Escalade (besides these forums being a solid source). Does anyone know of a service manual to recommend... or if they even make one? I was looking for some wiring diagrams earlier and had no luck. The dealerships tell me they have most of their information online and don't sell any of it.

Thanks again

Shoot me a email @ general0282001@yahoo.com and I can send you what wiring diagrams you need or any service page you need

But if the truck shows driver 1 driver 2 then the remotes are programmed right but it may be a setting in the drivers information center

SRRF
02-01-13, 10:42 AM
Shoot me a email @ general0282001@yahoo.com and I can send you what wiring diagrams you need or any service page you need

But if the truck shows driver 1 driver 2 then the remotes are programmed right but it may be a setting in the drivers information center

I'll gather up a list of the diagrams I'm looking for and shoot you an email. Thanks for that, much appreciated!

As for the key issue, I've tried messing with the DIC. For example, the "Unlocking/Unlock Doors On..." I can set it to:
1. Manual
2. Driver on key out
3. Driver in park
4. All on key out
5. All in park

When I set it to the shifter/park setting there are no issues (it works as intended). Anything that involves the key-ignition though, does not work (including the seat recall/easy exit). It did however work prior to the installation of the cylinder.
I was going to have a look at the wiring diagrams for the ignition, as I'm curious what wires might be behind there. I assume one of them must have something to do with sending a signal to the BCM about the key status (in or out). My thoughts are this wire isn't hooked up, or maybe butchered or something.

Thanks again