: 2004 cts-v

Livyx
01-30-13, 05:01 PM
I'm looking at buying a 2004 CTS-V, but I keep getting hung up on the price for a 9 year old car. Do you guys think they are going to continue holding their value like they are now, or is the market for these cars inflated right now?
The one I'm looking at seems to be a pretty clean silver one with only 61k on it for $17,400.

FoD
01-30-13, 05:09 PM
I paid less for a newer V, with less miles over a year ago. You can find better deals.

LS6Steve
01-30-13, 05:43 PM
Negotiate, you will get it lower. Most people can't pay cash for the car, and the 04-05 are now out of used car financing range for large banks (car is too old), so finding a buyer is hard. If they need to sell, they will come down after seeing how hard it is.

etcts-v
01-30-13, 07:44 PM
I believe they will hold their value about where it's at for a while, they are becoming fewer and fewer. I bought mine almost 4 years ago for $18,500 and the blue book value here in Seattle is almost the same today (granted I've only put on about 10k miles since I bought it).

silentwig
01-30-13, 08:00 PM
I believe they will hold their value about where it's at for a while, they are becoming fewer and fewer. I bought mine almost 4 years ago for $18,500 and the blue book value here in Seattle is almost the same today (granted I've only put on about 10k miles since I bought it).
Exactly. Id expect these cars to hold mid-high teens for value for awhile. This car is not just your average run of the mill, its a niche vehicle and the people who demand them will pay around that price point. I owned a srt-4 for 7 years and sold it for 4k less then i bought it for. As long as the car is not beaten to death, people will pay.

2007ThunderV
01-30-13, 08:57 PM
Yea I don't think you will see gen 1 vs drop much more
Look at f body pricing for a example
For 15-20 k you are getting one hell of a car
Seems most extreamly low mileage 06-07s are still listing in the 20-28k range pending condition mileage and location

kciaccio
01-30-13, 10:02 PM
Not all V's are the same at this point either. Just because someone mentioned they paid less then the one mentioned before it does not mean much. I have driven about 5 different ones and they all felt different and power between them. Some also have accidents ect..even if autocheck or carfax says they are clean don't mean shit believe me.

RyRidesMotoX
01-31-13, 02:25 AM
I think it has to do alot with where it is for sale too. In Southern California here seems thing to be at a premium. I paid $18k for mine with 72k miles on it. Thing runs like a champ and it still looks damn sexy. Try to talk him down a bit but if its been well cared for it might be worth a little extra. I passed on an 06 that had 130k miles on it and was $14k but it was rode hard and put away wet many times. That thing was beat.

Pillow
01-31-13, 09:52 AM
It all depends on the car. As stated before, clean ones go for better money than a beat POS.

As a new V owner, I agree that the price will hold. The performance for $ is hard to beat at any price. Also look at the GTO prices, in my area they are going for more than Vs, which strikes me as backward. No offense to GTOs, but I think the V is a better value.

FWIW I have an older 911 SC and it has retained about the same value from when I bought it 12 years ago.

... Then again, I bought this car to drive. If there is any value left when it is spent then that is a bonus :)

Livyx
01-31-13, 10:39 AM
I can't get him down anymore. He said this is bottom dollar. On top of that, I won't get to drive it before buying. As someone stated earlier, the ones in my area have been beaten on, so I'm looking nationwide at this point. I'll keep looking but this one is a good looking car. I just hope it drives as good as it looks.

Pillow
01-31-13, 10:57 AM
I won't get to drive it before buying.

Efff that! I understand no joy rides, but if you can prove availability of funds and good intentions then I do not understand the sellers hangup. Either they are that anal with the V, or hiding deficiencies.

Any mods to the V to add or subtract value?

I know when purchasing mine the V came with a full Corsa cat back exhaust, which is 1500 I saved because I wanted it anyway! LOL Your ideas of good mods may vary so keep that in the back of your mind as potential cost savings... Or if you are like me, I don't want to see an overly modded car either.

IMO private seller, that should be a 14-15.5 V. Unless there are value adders to add to the price. truely excellent condition that has never seen rain or snow. Desirable mods. Special color? With the miles I doubt it.

The risk with traveling is that you cannot pre-drive the cars either.

Add: Make sure to get all the paperwork if you are serious on this V. GM maintenance from a dealer, CARFAX, and RPO codes.

RyRidesMotoX
01-31-13, 01:46 PM
I can't get him down anymore. He said this is bottom dollar. On top of that, I won't get to drive it before buying. As someone stated earlier, the ones in my area have been beaten on, so I'm looking nationwide at this point. I'll keep looking but this one is a good looking car. I just hope it drives as good as it looks.

Dude look in the classified on here. There are quite a few for sale.

Mrs.LS6
01-31-13, 11:52 PM

I would NEVER buy a car that I couldn't test drive beforehand. Especially not a used car. Show up with a few hundred or grand in your pocket and say "hey, either you want to sell it or you don't. I'm not gonna pay that kind of money for a car that I cannot take down the road before I buy."
I can understand the seller not wanting you to take it out and beat on it, but I quick ride down the road and back wouldn't hurt anything.

Overd0s3
02-01-13, 01:31 PM
Good luck on your search. I found mine after about 2 years of hunting and I feel like I paid more than I wanted to but I love her. I don't know if you're paying cash or not, but my suggestion would be to cough up the extra $ to get a clean one. It will be worth it in the long run, considering a new diff install, for example, with labor will run 2500 ish (at least in north NJ). Why are you stuck on an 04 btw?

oh and I don't think they will get cheaper. This is as cheap as they will go, imo

jashearer
02-01-13, 05:20 PM
Where are you at? I have a pampered '04 black on black that I'll even let you drive before you buy :)

Jay

Livyx
02-01-13, 07:29 PM
Hey everyone, sorry. I wasn't clear. He would be fine letting me drive it, but we are in different states. I'm in Dallas and down here people tend to really want a lot for the cars. The idea of one going for under 17k is impossible. There is a guy trying to sell an 05 with 74k and a salvage title for 19k. He must be smoking something...
I'm willing to travel or have a car shipped, but it is a lot more scary and often people don't trust an out of state deal.

----------

Good luck on your search. I found mine after about 2 years of hunting and I feel like I paid more than I wanted to but I love her. I don't know if you're paying cash or not, but my suggestion would be to cough up the extra $ to get a clean one. It will be worth it in the long run, considering a new diff install, for example, with labor will run 2500 ish (at least in north NJ). Why are you stuck on an 04 btw?

oh and I don't think they will get cheaper. This is as cheap as they will go, imo
I'm not hung up on 04. I am looking for a first gen is all. I'm looking for sts-v's too. I am paying cash for it.

Bill Rubeck
02-02-13, 12:51 AM
Time to jump in, first time for everything right? Good Luck finding Your V, and be happy You dont live in Hawaii...I bought my 05 V a year ago for 21K with 33000 plus on the clock, (stock, clean, minor road rash on a couple rims, etc). Over paid? Where You are, yep. Where I am? No, lack of options. But a year in...I love this V, don't ever want to get rid of it. (By the way, Ford guy all my life) Used my savings and tax returns last year to buy, plan on using savings and tax returns this year to Get it how I want it...or the next 5 years if it takes that long. Love Mine, and You will too! This, by the way is my first anything on this forum. Lots of good info to be found here.

thebigjimsho
02-02-13, 04:19 AM
I paid less for a newer V, with less miles over a year ago. You can find better deals.

Probably not. Prices are no longer going down for the '04/'05s if they are low miles and in good condition.

I think an '04 V has always been a good investment. Get one now and its a GREAT investment. The '04 is visually different, was the only V variant of it'd kind and had the relatively rare, and last, 5.7 LS6 motor.

Mine was supposed to stay with me for life until I totaled it.

FoD
02-02-13, 09:31 AM
Probably not. Prices are no longer going down for the '04/'05s if they are low miles and in good condition.

I think an '04 V has always been a good investment. Get one now and its a GREAT investment. The '04 is visually different, was the only V variant of it'd kind and had the relatively rare, and last, 5.7 LS6 motor.

Mine was supposed to stay with me for life until I totaled it.

:cookoo: Yeah, my '05 V has the 5.7 LS6 in it. The '04 was the only V variant of it's kind...in '04. Then, '05 happened.

253ctsv
02-03-13, 01:10 AM
Not gonna lie I probably over paid for my 05 6 months ago (49k miles) 25g it had a few things I had to fix too, nothing major. I just got a little compulsive and there wasn't much of a selection here in wa. Anyways this guy (about 20) came up to me today at the gas station and basically told me how awesome my car is. Worth every penny if u ask me and ill probably never sell it.

P.S. thank you Cadillac for only making roughly 12,000 first gen Vs and not a million variants like say the mustang. That's really what makes them so awesome imo

kciaccio
02-03-13, 10:47 AM
Not gonna lie I probably over paid for my 05 6 months ago (49k miles) 25g it had a few things I had to fix too, nothing major. I just got a little compulsive and there wasn't much of a selection here in wa. Anyways this guy (about 20) came up to me today at the gas station and basically told me how awesome my car is. Worth every penny if u ask me and ill probably never sell it.

P.S. thank you Cadillac for only making roughly 12,000 first gen Vs and not a million variants like say the mustang. That's really what makes them so awesome imo

Totally agree^^^You go to car shows rows of Camaros and Mustangs...Everybody that comes over to my house is like "Is that a "v" in your driveway? We wanted to get one of those but we couldn't afford it." Most people can't tell the difference between a V1 and V2. They all think I have a 60k car sitting in my driveway.

thebigjimsho
02-04-13, 01:54 PM
:cookoo: Yeah, my '05 V has the 5.7 LS6 in it. The '04 was the only V variant of it's kind...in '04. Then, '05 happened.So...

When did the STS-V and XLR-V start production? Yeah, don't worry. I see you didn't understand my statement.

Did the '05 have the square XM antenna and window mounted mast OnStar antenna?

Did I ever say the '05 didn't have the LS6? Yeah, don't worry. I see you didn't understand my statement.

You need not try to correct me on V history. I've owned 2 Vs and have been here for close to 9 years...