: Front license plate mount = ugly!

LeeH
01-29-13, 07:28 AM
I bought my '12 Coupe from a state that doesn't require a front license plate, and I need to mount one for my NJ registered car. So, I went to the dealer and bought the proper mount. That thing is big and ugly and is going to dominate the whole front end of the car!
As a temporary measure I wire tied the plate to the lower grill, but as soon as the warm weather comes, it's going to have an effect on my intercooler temp.
I was thinking about making some standoffs - maybe 3/4" tall and fastening them to the grill and then attaching the plate to them.
Any opinions on whether this will be enough airflow? I don't race the car (well, not officially anyway :D), so I won't be pushing the temps too far.

Or, has anyone else come up with a good mount plan?

thebigjimsho
01-29-13, 07:55 AM
MA requires two plates but I never get pulled over for not running one. When I go for inspection, I use my RHO plate holder that goes into your tow hook...

DaveVagon
01-29-13, 11:14 AM
MA requires two plates but I never get pulled over for not running one. When I go for inspection, I use my RHO plate holder that goes into your tow hook...

I have the Rho holder as well. I keep it in the cargo organizer so if I do get pulled over, I just say I had it off for a track day and can put it back on right there. Haven't received a ticket thus far.

RobF300
01-29-13, 12:21 PM
cost of doing business, now if you happen to have a drink or two in you it could turn into a messy situation, otherwise pay the ticket and rock out

LeeH
01-29-13, 01:59 PM
Never heard of the RHO plate holder. Googled it, liked it, ordered it. :D
Just took it for inspection today and got the remains of the 5 year sticker. Not due until January of 2017 now, so I will take my chances...

Thanks!

RobF300
01-29-13, 02:21 PM
i ordered one also, sometimes at cars and coffee the cops break balls at the entrance

tinman
01-29-13, 03:14 PM
i ordered one also, sometimes at cars and coffee the cops break balls at the entrance

That's low.

RobF300
01-29-13, 04:22 PM
guys in the parkinglot zip tying license plates to their grills and bumpers, lol

Mistercoffee2
01-29-13, 07:47 PM
Up until I got the CTS a few months ago I had a Camaro, Corvette and Buick in Texas, over a period of 19 years, with no front plate and I was never stopped (for that). When stopped for other offenses (many) I was sometimes asked about the missing plate but never cited. I'm running one now because I got this real cool plate. But when I finish the V bumper swap the front plate is in the trunk.

Useless law anyway.

tinman
01-30-13, 02:11 PM
I usually don't leave the scene of a crime in reverse...

When I had my MGB I refused to put on my front plate. While I was never stopped, I was ready to tell the cop that I lost my plate when I had my front bumper replaced.

Mikes2009V
01-30-13, 04:27 PM
I bought my '12 Coupe from a state that doesn't require a front license plate, and I need to mount one for my NJ registered car. So, I went to the dealer and bought the proper mount. That thing is big and ugly and is going to dominate the whole front end of the car!
As a temporary measure I wire tied the plate to the lower grill, but as soon as the warm weather comes, it's going to have an effect on my intercooler temp.
I was thinking about making some standoffs - maybe 3/4" tall and fastening them to the grill and then attaching the plate to them.
Any opinions on whether this will be enough airflow? I don't race the car (well, not officially anyway :D), so I won't be pushing the temps too far.

Or, has anyone else come up with a good mount plan?

I'm in NJ also. Show n go remote electric front tag mount is the way to go IMO. Push a button on the remote and within 5 seconds the plate pops up. Push it again and it's gone. I can send you a short video clip of it installed on my car if you haven't done anything yet.

Mistercoffee2
01-30-13, 04:49 PM
I'm in NJ also. Show n go remote electric front tag mount is the way to go IMO. Push a button on the remote and within 5 seconds the plate pops up. Push it again and it's gone. I can send you a short video clip of it installed on my car if you haven't done anything yet.

Mikes2009V, I would like to see the video/photos. I PMed you my email

Thanks

RobF300
01-30-13, 04:50 PM
dont the remotes mount really low? is clearance an issue?

Mikes2009V
01-30-13, 06:40 PM
dont the remotes mount really low? is clearance an issue?

I have had it installed for about a year and no issues. The way I have it mounted in the center it doesn't hang much lower than the trim on the bottom of the bumper. I'm sure if you were to pull up too close to a parking block you might have issues but that why I always back into a parking space to play it safe.

----------

Mikes2009V, I would like to see the video/photos. I PMed you my email

Thanks

No problem. Just emailed you a video clip I have of it.

Karch
01-30-13, 07:59 PM
Any link to the video clip?

Thanks.

Mikes2009V
01-30-13, 08:14 PM
Any link to the video clip?

Thanks.

Don't have anywhere to post the link. If you pm me your email address I can email it to you

Karch
01-30-13, 08:18 PM
Thank you.

LeeH
01-31-13, 06:56 AM
I pm'ed you too. I can host it on my server and post a link when I get it...
Thanks!

Mikes2009V
01-31-13, 07:10 AM
I pm'ed you too. I can host it on my server and post a link when I get it...
Thanks!
Emailed you the video clip of the plate. The more I thought about, please don't host the link. Don't mind if seriously interested enthusiasts see the video but also don't need my license plate out there for the world to see.

LeeH
01-31-13, 08:39 AM
Emailed you the video clip of the plate. The more I thought about, please don't host the link. Don't mind if seriously interested enthusiasts see the video but also don't need my license plate out there for the world to see.

I noticed the plate was visible. No hosting!
Thanks for sending the clip. Can you give me an idea of the price for this?

Mikes2009V
01-31-13, 04:42 PM
I noticed the plate was visible. No hosting!
Thanks for sending the clip. Can you give me an idea of the price for this?

I bought it off of eBay for around $115 brand new. Here is a link to one I found on there now. You will see that they show the plate frame mounted off center. I emailed them before I bought it to see if it could be mounted in the center because I didn't like the off center look. I was told no, but as you see it mounts in the center just fine. Install only took about half and hour.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-2012-Cadillac-CTS-CTS-V-Electric-Show-N-Go-License-Plate-Frame-/180936072812?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a20a15e6c&vxp=mtr

tinman
02-01-13, 02:49 PM
Hmmmm. I wonder if I could hook that up to my rear bumper so the red light cameras can't get me.

HUGN*RDS
02-01-13, 04:35 PM
Hmmmm. I wonder if I could hook that up to my rear bumper so the red light cameras can't get me.

Or the toll booths :x

needstires
02-02-13, 09:27 PM
Do these cars come from the factory with a Rhodes holder or is it something separate you need to by like the TP reset tool?

Vileem
02-06-13, 01:01 PM
D3 Cadillac has a nice front plate mount, uses the Tow hitch. I dont have a front plate, but its required here in CA, I would use that.

Big Jay
02-11-13, 01:18 AM
Yes; Would like to see it

ssspconcepts
12-28-13, 02:27 PM
Yes; Would like to see it

We live in a small town north of Dallas. The day after Christmas, I was filling up my wife's Lexus 460 (no front plate on it either) and in pulled the local police to remind me I needed a front plate. Apparently it has been an unenforced law since 1930s here. Anyway, here are three options for tow hitch mounts for the CTS-V:

Mower Deck Axles http://www.moweraxle.com/licenseplatebrackets.html
D3 http://d3groupinc.com/license-plate-tow-hook/
RHO Plate http://rhoplate.com/index.html

I have researched them quite a bit and the one by Mower Deck Axles looks to be of the best quality. Not cheap though.

Envy
02-08-14, 05:37 AM
Any of you Jersey guys have issues with the front license plate? I will do anything I can not to put that thing on there...

jt1k
02-21-14, 07:55 PM
Any of you Jersey guys have issues with the front license plate? I will do anything I can not to put that thing on there...

I'm in central jersey and going with no front plate till I get hassled so far so good with my last two cars. If I do get pulled over I'm going with I ordered a bracket but its not in yet, and showing the front plate I keep in passenger seat back. Worst it will be is a ticket.

anxiouz
02-26-14, 09:06 PM
I bought it off of eBay for around $115 brand new. Here is a link to one I found on there now. You will see that they show the plate frame mounted off center. I emailed them before I bought it to see if it could be mounted in the center because I didn't like the off center look. I was told no, but as you see it mounts in the center just fine. Install only took about half and hour.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-2012-Cadillac-CTS-CTS-V-Electric-Show-N-Go-License-Plate-Frame-/180936072812?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a20a15e6c&vxp=mtr

I literally LOL'd when I watched the video on that auction.

My concern is only with clearance. I scrape my front lip from time to time (often enough) and from the looks of that...I might be scraping off my plate or breaking the hinge. But damn, it is really cool. :thumbsup:

Envy
02-27-14, 06:59 AM
I'm in central jersey and going with no front plate till I get hassled so far so good with my last two cars. If I do get pulled over I'm going with I ordered a bracket but its not in yet, and showing the front plate I keep in passenger seat back. Worst it will be is a ticket.

I'm in South Jersey and going the same route. I was good without one in Mass for a long time, so just getting the feel of the NJ po-po.

thebigjimsho
02-27-14, 10:35 AM
Yeah, MA cops don't care unless you drive like a jerk...

aballeh
02-27-14, 05:27 PM
I had the show n go motorized plate, first ground strike and it was ruined. i swapped it for the manual pull out one and its much more durable.

ats4life
03-01-14, 02:45 PM
Thank goodness my state only requires one whew..

Trapspeed
03-02-14, 09:07 PM
Thank goodness my state only requires one whew..

Same here. If we ever get two plates, I'm reserving 2PLTSUK.