: Do Escalades rear shocks automatically adjust?

Romeh
01-29-13, 12:54 AM
I got an 2002 EXT last september and Im pretty sure the last owner had it lowered so idk if that affects my question which is: Every now and then I notice that the back of my truck is much higher than the front and than other days it looks completely level. I also here a mechanical sound coming from the rear which leaves me to believe that the shocks automatically adjust. Am I right? If I am what causes it to adjust and is there a way to make it always level because it looks nicer that way. And also does it being lowered affect this at all. Thanks

PS
Ya Im seventeen thats why I dont know so much, but I got an amazing deal which I paid for so dont think of me as some spoiled kid :)

the cadillac man
01-29-13, 01:38 AM
I got an 2002 EXT last september and Im pretty sure the last owner had it lowered so idk if that affects my question which is: Every now and then I notice that the back of my truck is much higher than the front and than other days it looks completely level. I also here a mechanical sound coming from the rear which leaves me to believe that the shocks automatically adjust. Am I right? If I am what causes it to adjust and is there a way to make it always level because it looks nicer that way. And also does it being lowered affect this at all. Thanks

PS
Ya Im seventeen thats why I dont know so much, but I got an amazing deal which I paid for so dont think of me as some spoiled kid :)

All 02 and up escalates have the gm auto ride or magna ride systems depending on the year the older ones got the auto ride and it also has the auto leveling system and is pre programmed to a certain height (unless the sensors in the back has been modified) the rear shocks are air shocks(technically called air springs) it sounds as if the shocks has a leak by it not staying level try this take a spray bottle and spray down the rear shocks with some soapy water then with the doors closed(drivers window down) start the truck and then go and watch for bubbles on the shocks(if yes then there is a leak and the shocks will need replacing if no then it's ok) but the system is supposed to keep the rear level under load

I hope this info helps if you need to know more about the system just post and I can help further

hcubed
01-29-13, 09:47 AM
Here's the source for the parts. I had to replace my '02 Escalade rear shock compressor, and found their products to be less expensive than factory replacements.

The mechanical sound you hear from the rear of the SUV is the compressor.

https://www.arnottindustries.com/part_CADILLAC_yid6_pid77.html

Romeh
01-29-13, 03:31 PM
Ok Ill check these things out thanks for the help

Airdorn
01-29-13, 08:36 PM
Great info about the Autoride and the simple-but-effective way of checking the shocks. Thanks!

the cadillac man
01-29-13, 09:33 PM
Great info about the Autoride and the simple-but-effective way of checking the shocks. Thanks!

Just keep in mind that the compressor will burn itself up if the shocks has a major leak(the relay is next to the fuse box under the hood that kills power to the compressor should the shocks be leaking)

Keep me posted on the outcome