: Clutch chatter

kciaccio
01-28-13, 09:13 PM
When my car is cold in the morning, 40-50 outside, the first couple of first gear starts I get major clutch chatter. Anyone experience this?

rand49er
01-28-13, 09:58 PM
Stock clutch? Mileage?

DMM
01-28-13, 10:30 PM
Monster (any stage) clutch?

kciaccio
01-29-13, 12:18 AM
Stock clutch 38k. Bought it during the hot summer in Texas, started doing it when we hit 40's and 50 temps. Not a daily driver right now.

Gus_Mahn
02-10-13, 08:00 PM
My 90,000 mile stock clutch '05 does it after it sits and it's been raining. After I drive it, the chatter goes away until the next rain.

kciaccio
02-11-13, 12:25 AM
Mine is not a daily driver and it could be after it rains too. I never thought sitting and rain. What do you think could cause our problem.

RyRidesMotoX
02-11-13, 05:09 AM
If I were to wager a guess... Since I have the same issue... I would say that the friction surface is getting too thin and can therefore not tolerate heat like when it was new so it gets hard spots in it so it doesn't grab evenly and causes chatter. Happens to brakes when the rotor is too thin (also causes cracking). I'm going to get a new clutch soon hopefully. Have to get a stocks since money is a bit tight right now while saving for my wedding.

Heavybody
02-11-13, 10:13 PM
I think I had this problem as well when it gets cold 30 to 40 at night in the fall or early spring... Freaked me out the first time it happened because it felt horrible the whole car shutters... But it goes away after a little driving.

I want to do the clutch soon because I think it is causing the most problems in the driveline at the moment. Glad to know I am not alone!!

kciaccio
02-13-13, 09:46 PM
I think I had this problem as well when it gets cold 30 to 40 at night in the fall or early spring... Freaked me out the first time it happened because it felt horrible the whole car shutters... But it goes away after a little driving.

I want to do the clutch soon because I think it is causing the most problems in the driveline at the moment. Glad to know I am not alone!!

You are describing exactly what happens. Wish I knew what was causing it. Glad it goes away after a couple stop and starts.