: STS Vs. XLR Transmission

orange57
01-28-13, 08:43 PM
Do the XLR and STS use the same transmission? Reason I ask is I read the XLR mounts the transmission to the rear, the same as the Corvette and saw one without a bell housing on it. It just seems weird to me that The transmission/torque converter could be rotated the opposite direction and still function normally. I would have thought it would be designed for one direction of rotation. However I don't know much about transmission design.

1BadCadSTS
01-28-13, 08:53 PM
Not the same. Srx is.

orange57
01-28-13, 11:02 PM
Thanks for answering. Do you know what the differences are? Wikipedia lists the same trans for both the STS and XLR, as well as the SRX. But Wiki doesn't always have the most accurate data.

EChas3
01-28-13, 11:22 PM
Wiki is not a valid source in any reputable work.

B1n2fra
01-29-13, 09:52 AM
The xlr transmission doesn't mount directly to the engine it mounts to the rear directly connected to the rear axel sorta like the Nissan gtr

1BadCadSTS
01-29-13, 10:10 AM
More like a vette than a gtr since they share the same chassis and frame.

orange57
01-29-13, 03:40 PM
Yep, understand how they mount, just curious about differences. Is it still a 5L40/5L50 then? I would think it should have a completely different part number so as to avoid confusion. But sometimes i just like to think logically.

Charles Warren
01-31-13, 07:44 AM
5l40 is cts and i think xlr is same as sts but v gets beefier unit. You must found 1 for cheap lol

1BadCadSTS
01-31-13, 11:47 AM
Square peg in a round hole anyone?

orange57
01-31-13, 12:57 PM
There are a couple of brand new trans on ebay pretty cheap. I don't need one, replaced mine about 8k miles ago. From what i gather on here, it will not work, and that is fine, i fully accept and understand that. This now leads to my natural curiosity to want to know why. Which then leads me to want to know more about the transmission design. So i'm not probing hoping to get someone to actually say that yes, it will work, I'm probing because i want to know more about it. I am not trying to force a square peg into a round hole (although if it is a small enough square it will fit), i'm just trying to expand my knowledge and learn something new. Never know when it may be a question on final jeopardy :)

----------

Charles,

I believe you are correct, i think the V gets a 5L80/6L80. It is beefier to handle the extra thrust.