: new tires, new tpms sensor, still no readings

knon2000
01-28-13, 08:13 PM
Hey, I bought a 2005 STS about a year ago. At the time, it had the service tire nag, but didn't worry about it, since who really cares? Anyway,
we bought new tires for it now, and Firestone claims that new TPMS sensors were put in (I got charged for them too) and there is still the nag message, and
no pressures are showing up, just like before.
I was thinking they need to be re-learned or something, but how exactly is this done.
Found the proceedure for the CTS, but it requires the key in the ignition, but this car has the start-button, so I don't know what to do. Can anyone point me in
the right direction?
Thanks

curtc
01-28-13, 08:21 PM
Hey, I bought a 2005 STS about a year ago. At the time, it had the service tire nag, but didn't worry about it, since who really cares? Anyway,
we bought new tires for it now, and Firestone claims that new TPMS sensors were put in (I got charged for them too) and there is still the nag message, and
I was thinking they need to be re-learned or something, but how exactly is this done.
Found the proceedure for the CTS, but it requires the key in the ignition, but this car has the start-button, so I don't know what to do. Can anyone point me in
the right direction?
Thanks

Procedure is in the STS manual. It does take a bit of driving for the car to sense the new sensors are there.

knon2000
01-28-13, 08:29 PM
Well, it's been a month, and it still hasn't set. I will look thru the manual online.
Thanks

EChas3
01-28-13, 09:29 PM
They should match them for you. The tool costs less than they charged you for one sensor. The car has to be driven about 15 minutes before using the procedure in the owners manual. Get one, you'll need it.

B1n2fra
01-28-13, 10:38 PM
Maybe the system is messed up since it didn't work before the change. Also did they put in the right sensors. The sts sensors are different from others.

Ludacrisvp
01-29-13, 07:41 AM
Do you have keyless entry issues as well as they use the same receiver in the USA/Domestic/Canada? models to handle keyless entry and TPMS (export has a separate receiver for each wheel if I remember correctly).

dkozloski
01-29-13, 10:31 AM
There have been several changes to RWD STS TPMS sensors over the years. Some reset using pressure drop method, some reset using a magnet, and some rquire a tool to transmit a reset signal. If you add to that, any replacements may be the wrong kind or transmit in the wrong frequency range as well as tire techs are a rather seedy lot it's a miracle they work at all.

tomm
01-29-13, 05:23 PM
the right direction?
Thanks

If you paid for sensors and a shop installed them simply go back and tell them to program them for you.

curtc
01-29-13, 08:18 PM
If you paid for sensors and a shop installed them simply go back and tell them to program them for you.

:yeah: That would've been the 1st thing I did..

knon2000
01-29-13, 10:28 PM
Well, I did talk to them and they claimed they were the right ones and that it must be the receiving module or something. I don't have any issues with the keyfob either.
I did try the reset proceedure in the manual, but when holding down both unlock and lock buttons, it honked twice, not once as directed. I tried it several times without success. I tried letting air out even after the double honk
It never chirped at me. I tried it for anywhere from 5 seconds to over a minute. All that I got was a flat tire.
Guess it's going to the stealership. I needed to take it in anyway since the airbag warning light started to nag now
Nothing like dropping a grand on a car repair :(

Cadillac Cust Svc
01-30-13, 11:02 AM
When are you headed in, knon2000? Sorry to hear it's given you such trouble!

Sarah (Assisting Katie), Cadillac Customer Service

carter's_sts
01-30-13, 12:17 PM
I have done the matching procedure for the TPMS. The number of horn honks is incorrect in the manual. Also you do have to drive the car first I found before you start the procedure. Otherwise I think the sensors are just in sleep mode.

It was a pain, but it did work. If it won't work for you, then something else is wrong. I had to do it because the Discount tire people thought it would be fun to put the wheels back on a different side when I got new tires. Would have made way too much sense to keep them the same.

tomm
01-30-13, 03:19 PM
You will not be able to use the inflate and deflate procedure unless they first activate the new sensor. I just went through this with replacing one of my sensors. I could bring the tire to flat and the horn would not beep. Went online and bought my own activator and all is good now.

EChas3
01-30-13, 08:59 PM
Tomm - Had you already driven the car for 20 minutes before trying the manual's 'sync' procedure?

carter's_sts
01-30-13, 09:02 PM
Hey Tomm, could you explain that more? Do you activate the actual wheel sensor (transmitter) or the receiver in the car? And how does it do that and how much does that device cost? Thanks.

EChas3
01-30-13, 10:12 PM
Tool is < $70. Check the link.

1BadCadSTS
01-30-13, 10:21 PM
What link? And I believe if driven for 20 minutes you can then perform the learn procedure.

EChas3
01-30-13, 11:52 PM
Sorry, iy must have been a different thread with the link to a $67 tool used by tire shops to reprogram TPMS for all makes.

It's around here somewhere.

tomm
01-31-13, 02:53 AM
Tomm - Had you already driven the car for 20 minutes before trying the manual's 'sync' procedure?

Yes, I drove much longer and it would not recognize the new sensor at all. Tried for over an hour inflating and deflating it before I gave up and hit the internet looking for help. On the manufacture website for the sensor it said that the sensors needed to be activated before car would recognize it and to use some tool J-46079 but in a search for the part I found this item from SPX

https://gmspecialservicetools.spx.com/ToolDetails.aspx?id=5677

Figured it was only $68 so I would give it a try. All you do is press the button when right next to the sensor. I pressed the button on the first tire got the honk right away, went to the 2nd (My replacement) and boom it honked again, finished up with the last 2 tires and all has been good.

Definitely worth the money and I will be able to use it on all my cars when I rotate tires and no more inflating and deflating.

carter's_sts
01-31-13, 04:01 PM
Cool. Ordered it from another site for 59.26 + shipping. Will be good to have. Prices vary a lot. There's one on eBay for 89.00

1BadCadSTS
01-31-13, 04:19 PM
What site did you get it carter?

tomm
01-31-13, 06:44 PM
I saw the other site but could not contact them so I did not trust them. The link I provided is the manufacture of the product so I knew I would not have any issues and that was worth the $8 difference to me.

carter's_sts
01-31-13, 10:36 PM
http://www.handsontools.com/search.asp?keyword=50448&search.x=25&search.y=20

I think it will be fine. Got a confirmation email anyway. If they don't send it, I put the charge in dispute with the CC company. Wouldn't be the first time.

carter's_sts
01-31-13, 10:42 PM
I also have an email saying it shipped. If I don't get it I will definitely alert you guys.